Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Gordon rolls to another road course win

http://www.savannahnow.com/stories/062804/2266818.shtml

Why does he waste his potential on nascar? He would be so valuable in Formula One.

Jeff Gordon has always been an amazing driver ever since he raced go-karts.A lot of people don't like him,especially when he first came into NASCAR.They didn't like the idea of a young guy like him beating the old legends like Rusty Wallace..Jeff started out on circuits before the oval...too bad he didn't pursue F1 instead of stock car racing...

Comment

But can he drift or touge?

Comment

Jeff Gordon is the only NASCAR driver I even remotely respect. He has proven that he can do more than turn left all the time. I think he would be great in formula one, but I think he likes the fame and he wouldn't get that over here in formula one racing

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy
          he's a driver's driver. i wouldnt doubt that he could.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy
            I saw him run a rally course once, he tore it up, it was some thing where they took the top drivers from all over and had a fun time doing a rally, he seemed to be one of the only ones capable of dealing with the loss of traction, he's definatly one of the most talented drivers out there but he's getting paid a lot more to go around in a circle, if someone threw that much cash at you you know you'd do it too

Comment

Yeah and whats with this only turn left stuff. There are a few NASCAR courses that are true road courses, not only ovals. Regardless, it takes much more skill to drive at that level than any of you guys ever seem to acknowledge. I dont like the sport either, but I still respect it.

Comment

Its seems that only the talented racers like Jeff Gordon and a select few others are the one winning the road courses. I can't fully respect a sport that uses FAKE cars, engines sitting on frames, painted on headlights etc.

Comment

Originally posted by marshun
                  he's a driver's driver. i wouldnt doubt that he could.
                  Yea...Gordon seems to be the kind of guy who can do anything with a car...

I don't see what's fake about the car. It's a purpose-built race car, just as they have been for 20+ years. Granted, when they started out it was with essentailly factory cars, but there comes a point where driver safety alone made it necesary to start changing things.

Realisticly, they're no less fake then WRC cars...

Comment

NASCARs on road courses look like sport bikes on a motocross track. There's just something that doesn't look right.

They slide far too much and don't really look like they're set up to turn both directions.

PS- They're much more purposebuilt than WRC cars.

Comment

why should the fact they are purpose built matter??? F-1 cars are just about the most extreme cars used. do you not like them because they use "purpose built" cars. and in all reality, every race car is purpose built, the owner/team built the car to race in whatever series they are in. some just have more money and less limitations than others. I don't like watching nascar either, but i bet it would be fun as crap to drive one of those cars at 200mph. and i'm with crazyhawaiian, even though i may not like the sport, i still respect the drivers and their skill, which is far greater than most everyone on this board.

- peace

Comment

yeah that nascar stuff is pretty crazy. but its boring to watch. to me that is.

besides, going that fast, i can imagine how slippery the course is

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
                          They're much more purposebuilt than WRC cars.
                          Errrr.....

Sure, if you insist.

Comment

I think the point is..NASCAR is "stock car" racing..see those words? That says "stock car"..the cars are no where near stock like they used to be back in the day. It HAS lost a sense of realism to it. Many of you were not around to see the transformation into what we have today. I'm in my 30's and can remember seeing real stock bodied cars..not just loose sheet metal shaped to "look" like a Ford Taurus. I agree that things should be differerent in stock car racing..NASCAR should be an element all of it's own as is F1. I think that's the confusion here. Yes, safety was a factor..but so was speed..and this was actually due to drawing a crowd...not to just go faster. NASCAR needed elements to give them a marketing edge to gain majority household popularity. They are really marketing geniouses.

PS..Parry they ARE more purpose built than a WRC car..but not by much. WRC still uses real lights for instance...but that's just a simple example.

Comment

A NASCAR is a RWD, tube-frame, carbureted, live-axle, manual transmission car. The cars from which they are based are FWD-, unibody-, independently-suspended rear-, fuel-injected-, and automatic- tranmission-equipped. There are no similarities other than aesthetics.

A WRC car retains the unibody shell and block of the road car from which it is based. The suspension is also of the same type as the road car.

I'd be much more proud to own even a VW Lupo than a Ford Taurus, simply because the Lupo is a base for a real race car.

Comment

Working...
                              X