-Saving Money- What Motivates You??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -Saving Money- What Motivates You??

I don't know what it is but I can't do it. After I make my car payment, whatever money I have left I blow. I'm constantly trying to save money for my corolla but I end up buying DVDs, games, clothes, and a bunch of other stuff. How do you guys do it? I need some tips

I hold off cashing my check for a week and that helps..a little. But I have the same problem.

Comment

You think that's bad? I dont even get that far. I can go without buying anything extra, ANYTHING. And Ill look up, and what was once a 500 dollar paycheck has somehow shrunk to 80 dollars. All I buy is food... I dont know how I do it.

Of course this last paycheck lasted rather well, AND I managed to pick up some goodies for the car. (Im officially a poser, I bought a DRFT shirt and I havent even been driving in ages)
      Of course, now that Ive found an insurance company that doesnt want to cornhole me, I have to send my entire next paycheck for that.

Until then, I'm rocking it poser style.
      -Kyle

Comment

What do I do? I pick up whatever it is that I want to buy, then think about what good it will do me. If I can't think of any good reason to buy it, I put it down and walk away. It also pays to only have like $40 on you at any given time... I usually put all of my paycheck in my bank account. I've saved as much as possible and now, due to my penny-pinching, I almost have enough money to buy a 240SX coupe... almost. Oh well, I'm going to memorize every stat of every GM product and try to get a job as a salesman at a local dealership.

However, in case any of you just MUST spend money, why not click on that link in my signature and get a cheap, cool shirt, visor or bumper sticker?

Comment

for me it was the other way around...i'd blow all my money on car parts and have nothing left over for anything else...i was broke, but my car (the civic) always had a new part on it...lol

Comment

Budgeting is the key word.

You know how much you make monthly (around), so start off with that figure. Then budget accordingly.

EX.

Monthly you make: $500 for example
            Your budget might be something like:

I can only spend $50 on DVDs (per month)
            I can only spend $150 on Clothing (per month)
            $100 is put away for miscellaneous
            $200 is automatically saved for my Corolla

If you really want like some very expensive clothing for example, dont spend the money you have budgeted for cloths one month, and just add that to the next months budget clothing money.

Before I learned how to budget my money wisely, I couldnt save for jack shi t. Its will power. It helps a lot. heh.

Comment

I guess do what they said...

...or just decide what's more important to you. A life, or your car.

I got cars

Comment

Easy, just learn to be a cheap *Censored**Censored**Censored*. Ask yourself before buying anything if you really need that. If you do, can you get it cheaper? I use that technique and Ive been able to control my urges to throw around my money on monkeys.

Comment

I have 2 bank accounts 1 for spending and 1 for saving. I put in most of my check into savings and i leave that bank card at home so i wont spend it when I go out.

it works pretty good aslong as you dont use the other card so you need a little bit of self control or you can just give the card to your parents or whoever so they wont give it to you untill you have the money saved up." make sure its somebody that wont take your money"

Comment

hah, make sure it's FDIC insured

Comment

Or just get a savings acount....

...WITHOUT the card. If they send you one, cut it up.

Comment

Or lose the piece of paper with the PIN number on it... that's what I do.

In reality, I just save money by thinking of the great things I'll be able to do with the 240 I'm saving for. I think of drifting and of 1.05g and 230whp and I don't spend money.

Comment

When I was like 11-13 I use to blow my $ on food, movies, bikes, toys and etc. Now I'm 14 and I have about 800CDN saved up.. with is like 604.874 US. I do paper routes since you have to be 15 to work. I will have a REAL job next march 22++ when it is my bday. Here in Canada you have to be 16 to get your license... So I will get my car when I have my full G with is when I'm 17. By the time I'm 17 I will have alot of money saved a quick chart......

14-15 about 1300CDN (saved from bbdays, paper job and etc)

Year 2005

april...........................................ab out 500 part time
                          may.............................................ab out 500 part time
                          june.............................................. about 500 part time
                          july.............................................. ...about 1000 full time
                          august............................................ .about 1000 full time
                          September........................................a bout 700 full/part time
                          October........................................... ...about 500 part time
                          November.......................................... ...about 500 part time
                          December.......................................... .....about 500 part time

all togather... all my $5700.00CDN

Year 2006

January........................................... .about 500 part time
                          Febuary........................................... ..about 500 part time
                          March............................................. .....about 500 part time
                          April............................................. .........about 500 part time
                          May............................................... .........about 500 part time
                          June.............................................. ..........about 500 part time
                          July.............................................. .............about 1000 full time
                          August............................................ ...........about 1000 full time
                          September......................................... .........about 700 full/part time
                          October........................................... .............about 500 part time
                          November.......................................... ............about 500 part time
                          December.......................................... ..............about 500 part time

for this year $7200.00CDN

All I got so far is $12.900.00CDN

Year 2007

January............................about 500 part time
                          Febuary............................about 500 part time
                          March................................about 500 part time

So I made $14.400.00CDN and I've reached the age of 17.... I already know how to drive by learing in my moms 323 Mazda and I got 2000 more from bdays and partys and etc....

so $16.400.00CDN

minus all my spendings with is $3.000.00CDN

$13.400.00CDN is my estimate... I realyl can't wait till I'm 15... sorry for making this so long, but I just got so into it I had to make this.........

Comment

Originally posted by pure_drift
                            When I was like 11-13 I use to blow my $ on food, movies, bikes, toys and etc. Now I'm 14 and I have about 800CDN saved up.. with is like 604.874 US. I do paper routes since you have to be 15 to work. I will have a REAL job next march 22++ when it is my bday. Here in Canada you have to be 16 to get your license... So I will get my car when I have my full G with is when I'm 17. By the time I'm 17 I will have alot of money saved a quick chart......

14-15 about 1300CDN (saved from bbdays, paper job and etc)

Year 2005

april...........................................ab out 500 part time
                            may.............................................ab out 500 part time
                            june.............................................. about 500 part time
                            july.............................................. ...about 1000 full time
                            august............................................ .about 1000 full time
                            September........................................a bout 700 full/part time
                            October........................................... ...about 500 part time
                            November.......................................... ...about 500 part time
                            December.......................................... .....about 500 part time

all togather... all my $5700.00CDN

Year 2006

January........................................... .about 500 part time
                            Febuary........................................... ..about 500 part time
                            March............................................. .....about 500 part time
                            April............................................. .........about 500 part time
                            May............................................... .........about 500 part time
                            June.............................................. ..........about 500 part time
                            July.............................................. .............about 1000 full time
                            August............................................ ...........about 1000 full time
                            September......................................... .........about 700 full/part time
                            October........................................... .............about 500 part time
                            November.......................................... ............about 500 part time
                            December.......................................... ..............about 500 part time

for this year $7200.00CDN

All I got so far is $12.900.00CDN

Year 2007

January............................about 500 part time
                            Febuary............................about 500 part time
                            March................................about 500 part time

So I made $14.400.00CDN and I've reached the age of 17.... I already know how to drive by learing in my moms 323 Mazda and I got 2000 more from bdays and partys and etc....

so $16.400.00CDN

minus all my spendings with is $3.000.00CDN

$13.400.00CDN is my estimate... I realyl can't wait till I'm 15... sorry for making this so long, but I just got so into it I had to make this.........
                            don't forget to report to the IRS or i'll report ya

Comment

anytime I went to work or was debating on purchasing something that would take a chunk out of my savings I'd watch a drift vid or something like driftworks, just something to keep me inspired and motivated.

Comment

Working...
                              X