Rev limiter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev limiter?

this may sound stupid, but what does a rev limiter do to make your car perform better? Here is a picture of a BEE*R one.
    Attached Files

yeah i want to kno to......i have an idea but im not positive.......correct me if im wrong but does it stop the revs from going up once it gets to a certain area?.....i dunno im a nub......help us out

Comment

Raising the rev limit of your car can allow you to wind out the RPM's farther into the powerband.

A motor like the SR20 makes its best power at something like 6000rpm. For street use and to prevent blowing the motor, most are limited just after the peak power point, so you have to shift right away.

With an increased rev limit, you may be able to stay in gear for another 250 or 500 RPM's, but you'll be working the motor hard in that range so a fully built motor is a MUST.

For a daily driver, raising the rev limit isn't really such a great idea, because you're essentially stretching the capabilities of the engine.

I hope this helps.

-MR

Comment

As a supplement to my first post:

Here is a typical dyno chart comparing stock power and torque to turbo'd power and torque. I don't know what motor this is from but it doens't really matter because the principles still apply.

If you look at the stock hp curve (dark red), you can see that peak power is generated at around 5700 rpm. In this motor the stock rev limiter is probably somewhere around 5750 or so, allowing the motor to produce maximum power but also not allowing useless revving.

Now look at the upgraded curve (dark blue), the peak power is made here at around 5800. If the stock rev limiter was in place, the driver would not be able to use all of that power. However, with an increased rev limit to, say 6000rpm, the driver can use all of the available power.

-MR

Comment

thanks.

Comment

Plus the Bee*R rev limiter dumps the excess fuel to the exhaust, which sometimes means fireballs an racecar like popping sounds lol!!! which to me are cool by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by vigvoodoo
              Plus the Bee*R rev limiter dumps the excess fuel to the exhaust, which sometimes means fireballs an racecar like popping sounds lol!!! which to me are cool by the way.
              If while shifting up in your newly-unlocked rpm range the car does that, it's because it's going pig-rich for whatever reason. Not particuarly a good thing...

Usually when you get a performance chip it raises the redline for you. Does this only adjust the redline, without the benifits of a chip?

Comment

what the Bee*R does is it cuts of the ignition where as the stock rev limiter stops the fuel causing damage

Comment

doh, i'm an idiot. That would certainly do it.

What kind of applications would you use this on?

Comment

Whenever you need something other than the stock rev limiter, and for drifting since you can sometimes hit the rev-limiter a lot.

Comment

Well...what i was kinda pondering is this:

Most cars have a factory one, built into the ECU. After thinking about it, this would only really be practical in an application where you wanted to limit it before the ECU did, or in an application where you had no effective rev limit, probably with a carburated motor as you can set that stuff up if you're running standalone.

I pretty much answered my own question. My previous post was retarded, it's getting late.

Comment

Working...
                      X