Deadbeat Rotary (Engine #4 is Dead)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadbeat Rotary (Engine #4 is Dead)

Well, engine #4 is dead. Story goes like this. I put the engine in the car about a month ago. Got some vacuum wires crossed and have been into other things so I haven't had a chance to fix it. Well, today I went out and got under the hood, straightened out the vacuum wires and everything checked ok. I started the car and the skip was still there. I hopped in and gingerly took it around the neighborhood to let it warm up a little. Well to make a long story short, the clutch let loose at the end of the hood, got it somewhat straightened out and started to the house. I got to the house and couldn't climb the driveway. Smoke was a billowing, smoke that I had not seen until I got to the driveway. Car has zero power and the coolant blew out. Engine #4 is kaput. Did I ever mention that I hate Rotaries? Well if I didn't then here you go again. That was the LAST rotary that will ever go in that car as long as I own it. LS1, here I come.

If anyone wants an FD, offer me something interesting. 93 R1, triple black, Tein springs, MSD box, Pettit ECU, 3 inch exhaust from the turbo's out, Pettit high flow turbos, Cold air (or something close to it) and assorted odds and goodies. Maybe Redline TV needs an FD to do a buildup.

I've blown up 4 LS1s myself, so dont think your getting the most reliable setup ever. However...mine were all blown up on very large shots (200+) of the fun juice.

Anyway...pm me if you need any help finding an engine. I have a lot of friends in the ls1 world and can find you barely used short or long blocks to start your project. Maybe give you a bit of insight on modding as well. My current ls1 (actually LS6) is at 462 at the wheels before the spray. Thats stock bottom, stock heads, big cam and bolt ons.

Comment

Great man, thanks. I just want a medium build one. Bout 375 would be perfect. No juice, none of that. Just a good ol American V8. I've got to get the money right and then you just might be getting a call.

Thanks.

Comment

375 is cake. Generally most of the ls1s are making 300-315 stock at the wheels. Swap in a beefy cam....LG Motorsport G5X3, heavy duty dual valve springs (crane gold), ls1 edit tuning ( a must), and some long tubes and you'll be near 400.

Comment

How much are you willing to sell out the FD for?

Comment

Hey Ghost, right there with ya bud...my engine has another year tops on it but I could never give up my FD, even if she is a gaping hole just sucking money in. BTW, who did all your work and rebuilds for your car? Was it the coolant or apex seal that went on it?
            Id be more than happy to have my car be the redline tv project fd, just as long as I keep ownership lol.
            Good luck on the LS1 conversion, have 2 of those around here.

Comment

Oh man ghost im sorry to hear that. Good luck with future ventures and keep us informed on it...

Comment

I'll make a toast to you my triangle brother..=(

PM me or IM me (preferbly) if you decide to sell the aftermarket parts you have on your car. I might be interested.

Anyways, good-luck my friend... Stick with her.

Comment

i had 460rwhp on my FD with a T78. never broke a motor. it depends on who built and how it was built. they can be reliable but its hard

Comment

Ghost, Hey man i work at a Speed/Machine shop in Minnesota called TPIS (Tuned Port Induction Specialties). I deal all day long with TPI, LT1/LT4, LS1 and LS6 vehicles. Mainly Y body, B body, and F Body GM vehicles but we put alot of packages together for street rodders and guys who do swaps such as these. I know we are not a sponcer of this site and I am a newbie here...what I am saying is I dont want to step on any toes I am not offering my companys services but more of my connections. If you need some help locating and Gen III small block I can defently point you in the right direction.

Check out Camaross.com there is always guys parting out LS1 F Cars (Camaros and Trans Ams). Some times you can get great deals. If you get the complete car you can get yourself the computer and wiring harness along with all sensors, for sometimes a lot less money than geting a stand alone system.

And another thing...If you are going to plan on building big cubes and big power out of a Gen III small block, get the cast iron 6ltr block out of the 99 and newer chevy/GMC trucks...much better block than the aluminum piece.

Good luck man,

Erik

PS....200 shot on a STOCK all aluminum block and heads is really not a good idea

Comment

Well, I have had a Pettit engine, and this was my third mazda one. I hate em, nothing you can do to change that sentiment until day after tomorrow when I calm down enough to not want to go out and smash it with a hammer.

Scrote, thanks for the info. I am just starting this and will probably be a year or so in the making unless a run into a pile of money laying around somewhere or someone offers me an interesting trade. I am keeping everyones name that has info for me and will more than likely be hitting you up.

Thanks man.

Comment

has anyone heard of joel raften hes kinda of a local rotary nut but he was at pinneapple racing for ever and might still be but he was getting 750 hp on 2 rotars.
                        (deffentaly not road legal)
                        anybody herd of him?

Comment

i cant say i feel your pain with losing a car but, i do rememeber this time my friend broke my favorite game. i was crushed and i still have the broken game so you might want to hold onto it. (just slowly take it apart and hide it through out your house and no one will ever know.)

(]8- )

Comment

I'd swap it too.

For the amount of money and motors you're into that car for, I'd expect a bit more then a smoke machine.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Just to warn you though, the LS1 swap will run you around 9k...so plan ahead.

Comment

Working...
                              X