Enter the Rotary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enter the Rotary

O.k since this is a newbie section i finally decide to work on a rotary introduction thread explaining the basics, works and stuff.......alright here go....

Intro to the rotary:

Just like pistons engines the rotary engine is a internal combustion engine. But the rotary doesn't use pistons(of course!!!!),cylinders, valves, connecting rods and camshafts.
    The rotary engine was first invented by the german Dr.Felix Wankel (that's why sometimes the rotary is referred to as the Wankel engine, or Wankel rotary engine.) But the engine had many gas problems and with the break of WWII the engine plans were posponed.Jujiro Matsuda(founder of Mazda) also had a dream for the rotary. Mazda released it's for rotary car,Cosmo 110s, in 1967.The rest is history.

The Basic Works:

Like all engines, it has four jobs:intake, compression, combustion and exhaust. The rotary also have the same jobs but with a whole different way.In a rotary engine, the pressure of combustion is contained in a chamber formed by part of the housing and sealed in by one face of the triangular rotor, which is what the engine uses instead of pistons.As the spins it seperates three levels of gas. As the rotor spins around the chamber, each of the three levels of gas expands and contracts.This expansion and contraction that draws air and fuel into the engine, compresses it and makes useful power as the gases expand, and then expels the exhaust.

This is just a start up of the thread I'll type up some more later. Remember this is just information to introduce you to the Rotary....some content might be wrong but hey it's not like i'm trying to write a book about it.

The Rotary
    Attached Files

Comment

LONG LIVE THE WANKEL. lol that word always puts a smile to my face . Yea but good job with that!!!! W2G. You shouldve mentioned on how they entered le mans!!!

Comment

Working...
      X