PDA

View Full Version : drift movie with s2000 and 300zxTT

soru81
11-29-2003, 11:13 AM
This is the movie my friend and I made half year ago, from some even older clips. Even tough I was beginning with drifting, some screens are quite worth of seeing. Some pics first:
http://freeweb.siol.net/snuffy/driftcontrol/DC_preview4_small.jpg
http://freeweb.siol.net/snuffy/driftcontrol/DC_preview1_small.jpg
http://freeweb.siol.net/snuffy/driftcontrol/DC_preview3_small.jpg
http://freeweb.siol.net/snuffy/driftcontrol/DC_preview2_small.jpg

And offcourse, the movies:
Movie1 (http://www.parsek.si/exchange/soru/driftcontrol/rwd.avi)
Movie2 (http://www.parsek.si/exchange/soru/driftcontrol/lddl.avi)

Young Drifter
11-29-2003, 03:49 PM
Hey I'm no pro at drifting, but i thought those vids were really good. Especially because you guys were on such a tight and compact road. Just whondering, where was that filmed at?

ACDSupra7
11-29-2003, 11:51 PM
Filmed in Slovania (sp?). Seems like you guys were doing mostly power overs?

Chas
11-30-2003, 01:31 AM
Not bad, pretty cool

soru81
11-30-2003, 05:11 AM
Thanks guys.

This was filmed in Slovenia, a small and young country in Europe surrounded by Italy, Austria, Croatia and Hungary. This place resides just besides it's capital, in it's like five minutes away from the biggest and crowded city in our country, which is still a small one :-)

It is true, that it really was learning to drift instead of drifting. Once you get to know the road (about 2km, but on the movie it is the most interesting part - only about 800m of hairpins and turns) it is fairly easy.

Everything on the movie was driven uphill and the traction is bad so drifting can be pretty smooth. The speed in the middle of corners was very small, from 30-50km/h. It went up in the exits, up to 80km/h approximately. Most slides I did were done with the first gear (honda's narrow powerband requires that, and it's long first gear makes it possible) and the friend was doing it in second gear.

If you look at my steering work you can see it is horribly slow and the technique is bad - I never lose the wheel so it can spin freely and fast. Honda's sharp steering compensated for my slowness and technique at that time. But when I got to my current bmw e36, which has very slow steering (3,5 lock-to-lock, honda had 2,4), I really had to change the steering technique all the way. I will post some vids later and you will see the difference.

And yes, these are mostly power overs on hairpins. It is difficult to do anything else on the uphill, since the weight tends to the back. Since the path is very narrow, and the road edges are dirty, you must take it as it is. Fainting can be dangerous, because if you come to close to the outside and put the outside of the car on the dirt (at the corner entry) you can end up understeering and it was nasty few times. You can try to brake drift, but it is very ineffiecent on the uphill. You can bounce the rear in the other direction if the corners are together enough. And on some places, there is halfpipe on the edges, ment for the water to flow in the rain. And if you drive over it, you get bump oversteer - I think this cannot be seen in the movie.
Well, the downhill is completely different story. It's very nice because the car has momentum and you can feint it or brake drift and it will keep sliding with minimal power applied. There is almost enough power. Drifts are much longer than this seen in the movies. But it is much more dangerous, because you can't control the line of the drift very much. You set it with your entry speed, so it is very dangerous if some car happens to go in uphill at the same time because you cannot dodge him once in the corner. This place is freakin crowded with bicyclist (popular spot) all the day, so only chance to practice is in the middle of the night - and you can see car and lights approaching. Hairpins are fun on the downhill, you can use handbrake and then just apply the gas. But you can damage your car hitting the guardrail at the exit...
Well, at the time I was editing this movie, I've already had bmw, and I've been already doing downhill. With honda I never tried it, didn't have enough self confidence in my technique and it really sounded scary. And also, with bmw I can go uphill in second gear better I could go with honda in first. More torque, narrower tires and shorter second gear make a lot of difference.

gundamzeta
11-30-2003, 07:37 PM
i encourage everyone and commend your bravery, but i didn't see any Drifting as defined by the Japanese-centric sport.

Looks like a lot of fun however.

soru81
12-01-2003, 02:23 PM
Well, it is just a matter of perception what is drifting. This sure wasn't drifting as a competition events as known in japan. But drifting touge, it was. At least to some extent. Anyway, be more specific, I really can't know what exactly are you pointing at, since probably everyone here has slightly personalized view of term drifting.

BTW guys, what does drift as drifting a corner means to you? There can be soo many various tecniques used... I think of it as getting the car to slide before reaching the apex of a corner and then sliding it as long as possible. On the other hand, in WRC, drifting is having the car sideways at the entry of the corner and then straightways at the exit - which is probably the fastest.
And again, on the other hand, Keichi says power over is also drifting... even if you slide just the exit...

Oh, here is the comparison of my steering work then and now:
with bmw (www.parsek.si/exchange/soru/tmp/bmw.avi)
with s2000 (www.parsek.si/exchange/soru/tmp/s2000.avi)

spy
12-01-2003, 03:00 PM
sweet videos

z33Drifter
12-01-2003, 10:12 PM
nice z32

DriftAdict
12-01-2003, 11:19 PM
Very Nice and Well Done Videos... What video editing program did you use and what kind of cameras?

soru81
12-02-2003, 08:39 AM
DriftAdict: After playing around with several other editing packages, I have used the ulead media studio. In my opinion, it has very good and powerful user interface and is very fast among semi-professional editing tools (such as premiere). I would recommend it to everyone. My friend with Z32 used premiere, I believe.

Young Drifter
12-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Whoever said it wasn't drifting is wrong. Just because there isn't massive amounts of smoke doesn't mean anything. Look at most touge drifters, there isn't much smoke at all. They don't smoke so much because they arent going that fast. THe more open it is, the more you can really get into higher rpms, and these guys aren't pros either. My hats off to you both.

Chas
12-02-2003, 08:14 PM
I dont want to start another thread about drifting types. But theres not alot of smoke because they are doing racing drifts vs. show drifts. Less angle, less smoke. Good job none the less.

J-BloodAE86
12-02-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by gundamzeta
i encourage everyone and commend your bravery, but i didn't see any Drifting as defined by the Japanese-centric sport.

Looks like a lot of fun however.

you = dumbass

you obviously have never driven togue. that was 100% drifting. when you are drifting togue you can't get crazy wide angles and high RPM tire roasting drifts. it is extremely hard and unsafe to flick the rear to a wide angle and hold it through the drift (D1 drift style) on togue roads, togue driving necesitates controlled angle and progressive drifts, which is exactly what they did.

to the drivers, hella good show mates

gundamzeta
12-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by J-BloodAE86
you = dumbass

you obviously have never driven togue. that was 100% drifting. when you are drifting togue you can't get crazy wide angles and high RPM tire roasting drifts. it is extremely hard and unsafe to flick the rear to a wide angle and hold it through the drift (D1 drift style) on togue roads, togue driving necesitates controlled angle and progressive drifts, which is exactly what they did.

to the drivers, hella good show mates

I like your imature adhominems..

I drive on touge, and I race other people on touge.

I didn't see any drifting; I saw nothing but power slides. Drifting necesites having controlled oversteer Before, near or just after corner entry.

I do lots of powerslides at touge in my MR2, which isn't a very smart thing to do, but I have yet to drift.

I've also seen plenty of japanese drivers, through videos, actually "drifting" their cars through mountain passes.

Powersliding is not drifting.

soru81
12-03-2003, 06:53 AM
I didn't see any drifting; I saw nothing but power slides. Drifting necesites having controlled oversteer Before, near or just after corner entry.

This is basically the same definition I used: starting to slide before the apex of the corner.

Anyhow, also by your definition, there is some drifing in this movie. There are at least 2 combinations of turns (S corners) included in the movie, that are driven in one drift. Even if you powerslide the first corner, the second is drifting - car is oversteering at the entry.

J-BloodAE86
12-03-2003, 08:17 AM
I like your imature adhominems..

I drive on touge, and I race other people on touge.

I do lots of powerslides at touge in my MR2, which isn't a very smart thing to do, but I have yet to drift.

I've also seen plenty of japanese drivers, through videos, actually "drifting" their cars through mountain passes.

Powersliding is not drifting.

your definition of drifting is incorrect. Keichi Tsuchiya himself says all the time that powerover drifts ARE drifts. you wanna disagree with the fuggen DRIFT KING?? ya so they aren't as good as JDM drivers, but who is?? not you and not me. that is drifting, if you don't think so, YOU do better. comeone, send us a vid of YOUR togue "drifts".

**EVERYONE WHO THINKS THAT IS DRIFTING POST WITH YOUR OPINION**

gundamzeta
12-03-2003, 03:32 PM
your definition of drifting is incorrect. Keichi Tsuchiya himself says all the time that powerover drifts ARE drifts. you wanna disagree with the fuggen DRIFT KING?? ya so they aren't as good as JDM drivers, but who is?? not you and not me. that is drifting, if you don't think so, YOU do better. comeone, send us a vid of YOUR togue "drifts".

**EVERYONE WHO THINKS THAT IS DRIFTING POST WITH YOUR OPINION**

i don't doubt the ethos of the dorikin. I realize that he, and his opinions, are extremely important to the sport.

however, Can you tell me when and where he said this? I like to see it for myself.

Like I said before, I powerslid through mountian passes before, but the roads were no where as narrow as the roads presented in the video. I commend, respect and like what happened in those videos, but it wasn't drifting.

J-BloodAE86
12-03-2003, 05:18 PM
his opinions are important to the sport??

his opinions ARE the sport.

in Drift Bible he goes through the different types of drifts and he specifically states that "power over" IS a drift.

Where did you formulate your opinion on what is a drift? watching option vids and gaining drift technique vicariously through japanese drifters is all well and good, but in the end, their skill does not realistically translate to american tuning and road condition. power over is a more common drift technique (and it IS a DRIFT technique) in america because the suspension and power tuning are not as advanced as they need to be to pull of high angle sustaned drifts like those of the more heavily tuned JDM counterparts. If you were really part of the drift scene in america you would consider that drifting, because in the end, its all we have right now until the communities skill level and tuning abilities grow.

basically, if you don't consider that drifting then you believe that 98% of american drifting is not legitimate.

AJ-SPEC
12-03-2003, 06:30 PM
Man, c'mon guys, I hate to see this turn into a fresh alloy flame war. why not just state your opinion w/o the high school name calling? none of us are pros, and even the best in the US aren't up there yet, so lets just support everyone for whatever they do, especially since they admitted that they are just beginning. Good job for even trying it for the first time on a public road, but be carefull, huh? Nice job though, I need to make a video of us drifting in Dallas...

AJ-SPEC
12-03-2003, 06:45 PM
btw, the first video, I get sound but no picture, just the black screen showing a tribute to rwd...

gundamzeta
12-03-2003, 08:26 PM

power over?

I haven't seen the drift bible, but from what I gather from the older Super Drift techniques video is that the power over technique is just another way of oversteering at corner entry.
Power sliding is losing traction after the apex, and that's what these gentlemen did! I'm not trying to bash them, or you; i'm just pointing out those videos contained very ittle "drifting" and a lot of powersliding. Futhermore, I feel that these gentlemen WILL be actually drifting with more practive, at least that is what I can obvserve from the video.

Again, That was an excellent video, and I commend them.

soru81
12-04-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by AJ-SPEC
btw, the first video, I get sound but no picture, just the black screen showing a tribute to rwd...

I think you need divx5.1 and you'll be fine. Don't miss this movie.

Papasmurff
12-04-2003, 01:35 PM
Hey, as long as they are going sideways is all that matters.
At least they are getting a feel of the car at that angel so in a matter of time they will enter a corner in oversteer and and flow thru the apex so that all u fanatics can actually call it a drift.
Not to mention in most cases the fanatic can not do a full drift anyways on a mountian road; in the most case. I dont want u righting back that u can do it, and ur the exception.
Just have fun w/ it thats the whole point.

Feint
12-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Very good video.I enjoyed it and look foward to any future work.I think eceryone should take it as what it is,a good video,regardless of your opinons of drifting.And J-Bloods comment about the Tsuchiya mentioning that in the Drift Bible is correct,I also have the drift bible.Sorus definition of drifting pretty much matches that of Tsuchiyas,which would consider the power over a drift technique.You must remember what drifting means,and not what it can be,as it can come in many different forms which is suited to stye and conditions.

foilman
12-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by soru81

BTW guys, what does drift as drifting a corner means to you?:

Of course there is a bit of gray area, but my take...

Being sideways before the apex is key... otherwise it's barely worthy of being called drifting. Being sideways at/before the regular turn in point separates drifting from good drifting. Drifting an extended double apex turn or very dynamic radius turn in it's entirety separates the men from the boys. Doing it all with the highest speed, angle, smoothness, and taking a good line (close to racing) and using all the track separates the skilled drifters from the best/pros.

-Tony

Feint
12-08-2003, 05:53 AM
Did your friend disable the HICAS on his 300zx? Or did he drift with it on,and if so,how much did it affect the drift.

«Got TT?»
12-08-2003, 09:53 AM
The second vid is awesome. Some nice drifts.

soru81
12-08-2003, 12:50 PM
He has a switch and I'm pretty sure he had it off....

lv2drft
12-08-2003, 09:05 PM
i tried watching the vid, but all i got was sound... is this the same problem as before? sorry for the inconvienence, not the best with computers

soru81
12-09-2003, 02:08 PM
I think you need to instal latest divx codec, divx 5.1 i think should work.

gundamzeta
12-11-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Feint
Very good video.I enjoyed it and look foward to any future work.I think eceryone should take it as what it is,a good video,regardless of your opinons of drifting.And J-Bloods comment about the Tsuchiya mentioning that in the Drift Bible is correct,I also have the drift bible.Sorus definition of drifting pretty much matches that of Tsuchiyas,which would consider the power over a drift technique.You must remember what drifting means,and not what it can be,as it can come in many different forms which is suited to stye and conditions.

jesus...

I don't know what to tell you guys. Power over technique is just another way to break traction Before the apex.

It was a good video, and that was because of the editing. I do all those types of power slides all the time, and my car doesn't even have that much power. If you want a video of me preforming these slides, then I'll do it in a couple of weeks.

Feint
12-11-2003, 01:31 PM
[B]jesus...

I don't know what to tell you guys. Power over technique is just another way to break traction Before the apex.

Just like all the other techniques.Eitheir way it is drifting in some sort of form,regardless of how you break traction.

sobe
12-22-2003, 10:18 PM
omg stfu, amazing performance from you two guys, thanks for taking time to record it and show us some of your stuff, the dude in the s2k, nice stuff man, you did awesome, at one point in movie 1 you were really close to the side rail, i was about to pee my pants, i love your vidz awesome editing and cool music...that was some sweet touge like action!...to everyone who says that not drifting, id like to see you tards pop your "rwd" asses out and see if you can control it on the mountain they were at, some of the driving from the s2k was really close to the side, it was really sweet, if anyone has seen Keiichi in the Acura or the mr2 i believe you'll know what I'm talking about...awesome...i dont know why everyone made a big fuss about the hole "Technique" or if it was a "drift" who cares...the point of the matter is, there skills are legit, and everyone who thinks otherwise are full of *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*, i havent seen many people just throw there vids up on a forum like this, all i can say is...if you dont think its a drift just stop badgering it in the forum i mean *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*...stop trying to find negative things all the time, if you need to give tips to the drivers go ahead, if they are good enough they'll know what tips to take and what tips to just write down and smirk at

-..peace..-

sobe
12-23-2003, 02:09 PM
bleh my mistake it was mr-s..wtf am i smoking?~!?!?!?!?