Listen up guys.....big gas crunch coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listen up guys.....big gas crunch coming

According to experts, in the next 5 years the population of China and India will skyrocket so much that those 2 countries alone will consume 50% of the worlds oil reserves, resulting in exremely high oil prices....like the gas crunch of the 70's. Also right now we consume 3 barrels of oil for ever new one we find. Basically guys our supply of fuel is gonna go bye-bye in a short time.

We do have options other than those boring fuel cells or electric cars:
    1. Ethanol/Methanol: Ethanol comes from corn and Methanol from wood. What's great about these 2 forms of alcohol is that it doesn't take much to convert a gas motor to run on alky, as alcohol funny cars, dragsters and pulling tractors have been around for years. This is probably our best solution as it's cheap and easy to make and we can burn it in our rides with little modification. Best part is if we run out of fuel we just grow more corn!!

2. Biodiesel: It's made from soybeans and can burn in any diesel engine without modifications. It gives just as much power as regular diesel but it's renewable and cleaner burning. Both my father's John Deere tractors burn it as does our lawnmower without any problems. (Btw our John Deere lawnmower has a 20hp Yanmar diesel......so my lawnmower is JDM tight

3. Liquid Hydrogen: Expensive and hard to make but the only emissions are from oil burnoff in the engine. Other than that it emits water vapor from the tailpipe. Hydrogen can also used to almost double the mileage of gas-powered vehicles by injecting small amounts of hydrogen into the engine and mixing it with gasoline. Like Alcohol, our current gasoline-powered rides can be converted to hydrogen with ease, but you'll have a high pressure tank sitting behind you.......which isn't the best thing in collisions.

We'll eventually run out of oil, and most likely fuel-cells and electricty will power the bulk of vehicles, so if we want to keep our beloved piston and rotary engines then the aftermarket needs to get on the ball and start making some alcohol converstion kits. And it'd be a great thing if we could clean up the planet but still keep our loud, great sounding Internal Combustion engines around for fun.

yeah, I've heard theres some number like ten years left of normal fuel-run cars. This is one of the reasons I don't really have a problem with Honda, as they are working towards more efficient and environmentaly sound vehicles.

Comment

i like the alcohol idea...i mean not only would it be cheaper, but wouldnt running alcohol give us more power too?

that would be nice..clean, cheap fuel that increases hp..i like it!

Comment

the problem with biodesiel and methanhol and such is its pretty expensive to make compared to normal gas at the moment... of course i wonder how much of that is the oil companys holding it back?

Comment

i like the alcohol idea. also i saw a report on biodiesel, seemed like an inexpensive thing to make, thing is it's only for for diesel engines. well, i guess we can go in our hybrids now.

Comment

Alcohol powered cars...

One for you, one for me, one for you, one for me...

Simpsons episode...

ROFL...

Comment

Actually, there's about 40 years left of gasoline, but the prices will go way up when the wells start to dry up.

Thus, my goal is to get rich and buy a ton of crude oil before we run out and have it refined whenever I need gas.

Comment

Hydrogen fuel cell technology is ready to go, but the oil companies are the ones that hold the patents.

When the oil runs out, they'll be ready for us...

-MR

Comment

I was reading an article awhile back in some magazine (it might have been Discover, i dunno...) and it was about this new technology that could turn waste products like chicken entrails and fun stuff like that into crude oil... they have working prototypes out, so it's a possibility that we'll no longer have a problem with running out of fossil fuels, and we can continue to run our cars on gasoline. But even if that doesn't work out, a future of alcohol-burning cars sounds agreeable...

By the way, I'm new here (long time reader, first time poster )... hey everyone.

Comment

You guys forgot LPG gas. Its better on the enviroment, burns cleaner, cheaper, and we have more LPG then we had gas when we started. The only reason we dont switch over now is becuase it costs millions for the companys to switch the cars over to LPG (like 50 bucks a car) and millions for the gas companys to switch all their pumps to LPG.

Comment

And about running out of oil its gonna be a long time before that happens since oil is recyclable.

Comment

I heard that the earths supply of Oil will run out in about the year 2040-2050. That is if the end of the world comes on 2012 and if an asteriod doesnt hit earth in 2028. So the human race will either
                        A. Not see the day gasoline runs out
                        B. Be in another dimension due to the intense force the asteriod caused.
                        C. Realize an armageddon, worse than when the Pistons won.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamSLIPdrifter
                          You guys forgot LPG gas. Its better on the enviroment, burns cleaner, cheaper, and we have more LPG then we had gas when we started.
                          Not to mention that LP is the best thing to burn to keep an engine clean. Growing up on a farm I've talked to people that burn LP in some of their older tractors. With LP there's virtually no carbon buildup, thus LP motors are more reliable than gasoline engines. You can tear an LP motor down with 100k miles on it and have no carbon deposits at all.

Comment

waht about grease engines...thats also a possibilty, though prob is you gotta wait liek 20 min for the oil heat up or somehting...im not sure but i knwo you gotta wait a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by NismoSigma

C. Realize an armageddon, worse than when the Pistons won.
                              lmao good one

Comment

Working...
                              X