What's wrong with e-brake drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with e-brake drifting?

Don't the D1 drivers use it everytime? Didn't Keiichi Tsuchiya admit to using it and even mention that people will deny it to be real drifting, but in the end, a drift is a drift?

I mean, I was reading the FF thread in the drift tecniques and people were saying, "oh, if the Civic user thinks he's drifting when he uses the e-brake, he's not really drifting".

Don't half you guys use the e-brake to drift? Or not? Anyways, why do many people think that using the e-brake during a drift isn't actually drifting????
    Last edited by s0nny80y; 07-15-2004, 08:35 PM.

Nothing is wrong with e-brake drifting. Get over the internet guys insulting it.

I used to think it was weak, but then I learned the true use of it... and it's freakin' brilliant.

Comment

ebrake drift is disregarded because technically it is not complete control of the car.

Inertial drift is complete control of the vehicle. it is accomplished by entering a corner at high speeds, exceeding the lateral traction of the rear tires causing them to naturaly slide (laterally) while remaining control of the car.

in simpler terms ebrake drift is locking the rear tires to slide inertial drift is using the laws of physics to corner at the highest speed possible.

personally i belive there is nothing wrong with using ebrake drift, its the perfect starting point to learn to drift at lower speeds, as inertial drift requires corner entry speeds that are near or passed illegal :P

Comment

The e-brake is absolutely crucial in maintaining the angle of the car in a prolonged drift or in the case of improper rotation... tell that the the internet drifters.

Comment

E-brake achieves the same thing as a shift-lock, but you just use your hand instead of your foot and the brakes instead of the engine.

Nothing wrong with it, but people like to make fun of it because it's a simple technique, just like a good free-throw shooter may make fun of someone who can do a layup - it's the same 2 points.

-MR

Comment

Yea just don't listen to people. They're lame, if they don't to use all the available techniques to them, they're just inhibiting themselves. You won't grow as a driver is to don't master everything, and e-brake is one technique most people don't master. Everyone uses the e-brake and should, even the pros.

I like your analogy MR.

Comment

I was gona mention the shift lock too. I mean, you'd be a hypocrite if you use the shift lock but hate the e-brake

Comment

The e-brake is a tool in the car just like the shifter or clutch. A person who shuns the e-brake does not have total control over the car. That doesn't mean someone with total control over the car will use it often, it just means that they will not hesitate to use it, and use it properly, if they need to. E-brake is mostly good for those situations where you find yourself thinking "uh oh, I'm about to understeer, but applying the throttle or brakes will probably not help." It's also good for initiating a drift very early or if you accidentally initiate a drift too early and need to buy some time.

I think a lot of the e-brake bashing that people read is actually misinterpreted FF-bashing. The only way FF's can slide usually involves the e-brake and so it's a widely used example to say that "those FF's running around pulling their e-brakes aren't actually drifting." This has nothing to do with whether or not the e-brake is being used.

Comment

There is a time and place for everything, I choose to not use the e-brake while learning cause I want to learn the proper way to drift before I rely on it too much. Thats just my style.

Comment

e-brake is not only used to lock the rear brakes. It is also a cheap way to adjust brake bias while you are braking but not many use it this way. Also it is very useful in correcting angles, but there are more ways to do that too, so it all depends on the preference of the driver.

David

Comment

i see nothing wrong with using the e-brake, the only reason i don't really use it is because my cable isn't working right and i'm too lazy to fix it at the moment, i think the e-brake becomes a problem when people use it exclusivly in a rwd car to drift, but even then hell if they're getting sideways more power to them.

Comment

speed and e-braking is a MUST with ff cars...

pretty stock

Comment

A new guy uses the handbrake at first and it has advantages and disadvantages, but especialy in a S13 or something the handbreak will always work, its your last line of defence against understeer.

I say use wahtever works, learn as many techniques as you can and use whatever you need. The only time anyone has a right to put down your technique is when they out drift you in some kind of contest. Be it sanctioned event or battle or whatever. Until then do whatever you feel is correct.

Comment

Working...
                          X