Importing law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing law?

I heard from a few sources that the government is restricting overseas buyers from importing already tuned cars from other countries. They say that if you do import a car is has to be stock is this true??

it is pretty much impossible to import any car to the us, stock or modified, but that doesnt mean there arent other ways :P ie hiding cars in shipping containers behind boxes. although there is a company called MOTOREX that imports mainly nissan skylines, starting around 20 grand for an old R32.

Comment

yeah there is pretty much no way to import a "street legal" car from another country because we have all sorts of emmision laws and safety stuff. companies like motorex have to test those things and adjust everything to get them over here. another company is RBmotoring. i think that is it. anyways you could always bring them over in half but those usually get screwed up like missing seats, broken windows, stolen parts, and missing engines. but like i said you could bring a front clip over here or something and the parts you could most likely ship over here alone. i am never sure though. (offroad only (]8- ) )

Comment

Well, from what I have heard, Motorex is either no longer importing or will soon no longer be importing. Something about some supposed to be legalized cars that were not. Don't know this for a fact, so don't quote me on it but thats the grapes on the vine.

As for bringing cars in the country modified, haven't heard that one. You can bring the cars in in pieces, I.E. engine in one container and car in the other. Disassembled is what i'm looking for. It's pretty hard and really not worth the risk to try and "slip" one past customs. If they open it, you are s.o.l, and you have lost your car. Then you get to pay for it to be shipped back, cut in half and sent back. So not worth the risk for something that you are going to have to legalize the ol shady way anyway. Might be time for everyone to give it up on the importing thing. Everyday it gets harder to do so and harder to get them on the road without risking a trip to the pokey.

My advice, work with what we have here. There are plenty of cool cars to Drift with, why pay all that money to go outside the country to get one?

Comment

in canada the car has to be 15yrs or older to imported into the country

Comment

and it can be in any condition? open borders soudn nice.

Comment

there goes my dreams of owning an S15

Comment

Down with the DOT, EPA and all the other people who give the tuning comminity hell!

Lets revolt against them so we can import foreign cars, or do anything we want with the cars we already have. Cuz the government is slowing our street cars down.

But I seriously doubt we would make any progress in changing the law. American democracy is a lie people! Besides, the tree huggers have too much of a hold in Washington D.C.

Comment

From what i know, a car is only legal is it sold in the country were it was supposed to be sent to. You cant legally use JDM motor parts for a car, so I belive its just the motor, but than again do you really want a skyline body, with the ka24de, LOL hell no!

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                    My advice, work with what we have here. There are plenty of cool cars to Drift with, why pay all that money to go outside the country to get one?
                    X2...

Why can't you guys just be happy with the cars that are already in America? Can you pay the tariffs for these cars anyways? Dreaming is one thing... Reality is another. Unless you recently won the lottery (In that case, share 10,000 with me), it's not realistic to own a imported car. You can own an imported kit car (one that is shipped in pieces), but it won't be street legal...

Can we drop this already?

Matt.

Comment

well...its not like i dont have the money to import one..
                      My problem is the super-*Censored**Censored**Censored* emission laws trying to rob street legal cars of horsepower..(was recently pulled over because my muffler was illegal and it didnt meet CARB regulations or something lke that)I cant import a car yet i can buy a 400 horsepower mustang for about 10 thousand more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                        Well, from what I have heard, Motorex is either no longer importing or will soon no longer be importing. Something about some supposed to be legalized cars that were not. Don't know this for a fact, so don't quote me on it but thats the grapes on the vine.

As for bringing cars in the country modified, haven't heard that one. You can bring the cars in in pieces, I.E. engine in one container and car in the other. Disassembled is what i'm looking for. It's pretty hard and really not worth the risk to try and "slip" one past customs. If they open it, you are s.o.l, and you have lost your car. Then you get to pay for it to be shipped back, cut in half and sent back. So not worth the risk for something that you are going to have to legalize the ol shady way anyway. Might be time for everyone to give it up on the importing thing. Everyday it gets harder to do so and harder to get them on the road without risking a trip to the pokey.

well supposedly what happened is that motorex is being investigated, because they didn't follow the guidelines and modifications that were to be followed to make a car legal to drive here. They were caught selling a few cars and not making em to legal specs IE not putting a US compliant bumper support on em, not giving smog pump, etc.

Comment

that sucks. do you guys know anything about RBmotoring? those guys sell cars other than skylines.

Comment

Up here in Canada, you can import any type of car from Japan just so long as it is 15 years or older. So you can get anything from a beater 180 to a highly tuned skyline. There is a few importing companies up here but the best by far is called Import Concern. (www.importconcern.ca) They will import just about any car that you want just so long as it is 15 years old!!! The site is updated daily with new auctions and there prices are almost unbeatable.

Comment

I just had a vision

What if you went to Japan, bought a used car, disassembled it, boxed up some of the parts and shipped it home? Then when you got home you could just put it all back together. Sure, it would be alot of work, but wouldn't it be worth it if everything worked out? I think it would be awesome if I could go over there and get a Chaser or Laurel and bring it back over here.

Comment

Working...
                              X