Supra MKiii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supra MKiii

so how well would a supra MKii be as a drift car? making about 300 RWHP.....and not only power over drifting but jsut drifting in all respect of the sport...

jsut wondering my friend wants one and i thought id ask because he has a true passion for drifting so yea

thanks alot everyone!

Weight is a big problem, but it's a good car. Just don't take it to the canyons and expect to come back without a tow truck =P j/p

Anyways, the car weighs about 3400 lbs, whereas an average drift car is in the 2500-2800 realm. With ALOT of work you can get it down to about 3000lbs, or less depending on how much you can spend.

But that's the only big negative... besides the fact that Toyota used the wrong torque specs for the headgaskets, so alas, bhg everywhere. (Mine's even blown at the moment =P)

Looking at the positives for a moment. The car has decent power off the line. A turbo makes about 230-232hp, which is more than enough for drifting. Plus the 7M is a pretty solid block once you get your headgasket taken care of. Hopefully you buy a sports edition, which comes with a stock LSD.

There's growing aftermarket support for these cars, as you can get coilovers from Tein all the way up to Kei-Office. Try www.suprasport.com for a good selection of parts.

Anyhow, the main reason these cars aren't too common at drift events is because of the weight. But if you (or your friend) are up for a challenge, then this can be a good car. I wouldn't recommend it for learning, but ehhh... you'll learn either way, so no big deal.

Hope that helps, later.

Comment

thanks alot!!!!!

i figured that would be the main problem....its a boat....

im running an fc totally stock could a tien..........He coilovers help us i know the dynamic system of the FC make it REALLY hard to drift....

any pointers on that ?

Comment

Rear-Toe eliminators. They're like $40, and your four-wheel steering woes will dissapear.

www.racingbeat.com

Comment

There's another post on this in Tech I believe.

For less than $3k you can have yourself an awesome drift/street car.

The 7M makes huge power so that shouldn't be a problem, and the suspension design is pretty darn good. I've also heard (but am not sure) that AE86 differentials will fit the A70's... anoyone confirm?

Simply cutting stuff out can probably get you down to 3000 lbs:
          carpet
          rear seats
          power adjust on front seats (like 30lbs right there if you have them)
          headliner (get sunglasses)
          visors
          defogger (unless you live in Montana)
          interior trim
          hood ribs (for cheap lightweight hood)
          hood release (get hood pins)
          hatch release (get hood pins)
          heater matrix (use one from a CRX)
          bumper support (or cut holes in it for street use)
          emissions controls (not in CA)
          sound deadening
          excess accessory wiring (40lbs on 4th gen F-bodies)
          heavy steel wheels (added benefit to braking with light wheels)
          stereo (if you can take no tunes)
          A/C (if you can take the heat)
          horn (not if you live in a city)
          headlight motors (do a rigid sleepy-eye)
          OEM headlights (use Pilot aftermarket's in a rigid sleepy-eye)
          ...and the list goes on

-MR

Comment

i could live with about 99.5% of all that gone....i dunno about the headlight motors.....i like entimidtating others with it....lol

freaking awwsome i wonder if anyone can vaildate the hwole A70 -86 L.S.D useability thingy thought but if it can that would be bad *Censored**Censored**Censored*!!!

Comment

Working...
            X