Greeting... new guy here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeting... new guy here

I've been browsing this site for a while now. Thought I would register and greet everyone. You can call me Izzy, IzzyTrippin, or just Ed.

I stumpled on to the art of drifting about 3 years ago when a friend from Malaysia sent me some video clips. Before that, I never had a name for it, but i understood basically how to do it from cruising mountain roads for decades. I have been in autos since I was 7 and helped a neighbor build a show van. Last year I realized that drifting was going to explode in the usa this year.

I grabbed up a '90 RHS13 with a salvage title for $500 for spare parts, and a '89 RHS13 with a cracked head for $700. I've secured a loan and I'm ready to build both of these cars up. The 89 into a RPS13. The 90, I want to put in a motor i fell in love with in my old 67 dart, a mopar 225ci slant 6, lots of torque, hopefully i can find a some side draft carbs for it. Undecided what nose treatment to give either of them but I have a few i'm considering.

I doubt many of you will know ANYTHING about this slant 6 motor.
    My poor dart had been run over 1000 miles with no oil, last 32 miles with no radiator, and when i opened it up, it had a few cups of sand in the crank case. but it never stoped running and it had no trouble smoking the wheels with a automatic tranny. My second car with this motor was a 84 AMC eagle wagon. it went 2,670,000 miles before it finally blew up. No i mean literally blew up, the car got so hot from the fire that it buckled, the headrests were touching. Generally speaking you can go to a salvage yard, find a 1950's dodge pickup, and it'll have this block in it, and you'll be able to get it running quite easily, many times all it needs is good wires, gas, and a battery to get it running. They really are industructable, high torque motors.

I've got so many questions, I need to spend most of tomarrow reading everything of revelance in these forums.

I'm going to the Landover, MD Showoff this coming weekend. Unless I swap heads and don't get scared of driving there on temp tags, I doubt i'll be able to even drive my 240. I'm coming as a spectator. This will be the first drift event I've attended. I hope it's a blast.

Them and the 300 Fords are like Buddy Lee. Can't bust em.

Good to see someone with a little backwoods ingenuity on here. Rock on man, keep us posted on the project.

Comment

Welcome, and happy posting!

Comment

Welcome..

I have a few mixed feelings on the motor swap.. i guess its just because nissan is known for there excellent (but no cheap) inline 6s.. however we must all remember the immortal words of Robert Frost.

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
        And sorry I could not travel both
        And be one traveler, long I stood
        And looked down one as far as I could
        To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
        And having perhaps the better claim,
        Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
        Though as for that the passing there
        Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
        In leaves no step had trodden black.
        Oh, I kept the first for another day!
        Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
        I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
        Somewhere ages and ages hence:
        Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
        I took the one less traveled by,
        And that has made all the difference

Anyways good poem.. and welcome around man, get us some pictures.

Comment

For now i'm just concentrating my efforts on the blue one since the title is clean. Not sure if I'm doing this right, I selected to attach a image, but it's not showing in the preview.

Comment

Come to Japan and we will greet you with a friendly "Youkoso".

-Junichiro Koizumi

Youkoso! Welcome to the forums

Comment

Originally posted by Thai Juku
              Come to Japan and we will greet you with a friendly "Youkoso".

-Junichiro Koizumi

Youkoso! Welcome to the forums
              Too bad Koizumi is a hypocrite.That asshole will give you a welcome and an even bigger goodbye when your visa expires.

Comment

Thats for the warm welcome, I've never worked on engines before. However, I think I'm smart enough that I know how to read and apply the knowledge.

Some of the things I'm trying to find info on...

References for pacific rim, far east exporters.
                A liting of exporters that are looking for a North American, east coast distributer.
                Grants for disabled people to start a business.
                A general Idea just how much the east coast market demands imported engines and parts.
                Information on benefits of corporate sponsorship, both for the car and the sponsor.

The town I live in was known as the gateway to the west. Canal Rail, & Trucking built this city. The businesses that thrive here are distribution centers for chain stores, drivetrain division of Mack Truck, and up till the cutbacks on the A10, Fairchild had the A10 plant here. Right now this is one of the highest growth areas in the USA, at the crossroads of I-81 and I-70. We've got alot of empty available warehousing, and shopping center space. Lots of vacant parking lots. It seems to me that this would be an idea location for a JDM importer. Shipments can be shipped to and from ports of baltimore, carried here by rail, which i undrstand is alot cheaper then trucking. Also alot of the lots I've looked at have their own railroad siding. I've already filled out paperwork at SCORE and the Chamber of Commerce to be assigned a Counseler. I meet with him to discuss my plans next tuesday, so in the meantime,

I need to prepare a presentations. On this, I need any help and suggestions anyone can offer on what to cover and include. demonstrating profitability is the game.

If this works out, A lot of you guys will benefit, and I think drifting will gain more popularity here on the east coast as JDM parts are more readily available.

And another thing... the roads up here in Blair Witch country are insane to drive at the posted speed limit. Not because of the number of turns, but because of the hills combined with tight corners. You find yourself on 45 MPH roads with 10MPH and 5MPH turns where you can't even see the road or the shoulder because it's so steep.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Feint
                  Too bad Koizumi is a hypocrite.That asshole will give you a welcome and an even bigger goodbye when your visa expires.
                  Hey man, I only saw the commercial for it...I don't control him...I thought it was JDM of me to say, it thats all...

Comment

Re: Greeting... new guy here

Originally posted by IzzyTrippin
                    I'm going to the Landover, MD Showoff this coming weekend. Unless I swap heads and don't get scared of driving there on temp tags, I doubt i'll be able to even drive my 240. I'm coming as a spectator. This will be the first drift event I've attended. I hope it's a blast.
                    Welcome to the forums. Actually I'm new to the forums as well. I'm just now registering after lurking the forums for awhile. I'm usually on Zilvia.net or Midatlantic240sx.com forums. Anyway, I'm from MD as well, Fort Washington, MD to be exact which is a 20 minute drive from this Saturday's DriftShowoff event in Landover. I'll be there for practice and competition. This will be my 3rd time participating in an event. Say what's up if you see me.

Comment

Working...
                    X