240z as first car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240z as first car?

Hey. I've been into drifting for a while now. My brother is friends with the guy who teaches drifting at the Bounderaunt racing school, and I've watched the drift bible a couple times I'm looking at a good first car to buy. I've read all the threads, and was thinking about an older datsun 240z.

I have a 1966 Mustang that I use as a daily driver... I guess I have a thing for older cars.

My question is, would a stick 240z be a good car to start drifting in? Anyone had any experiences with them?

Thanks.

Do it.

Comment

drift the 'stang man, that would rock, plus parts for them are cheap and can be found anywhere so when you break something you won't have to wait for it to be shipped from Japan

Comment

Heh I think that'd be rad too.

But it only has a 200ci Inline 6 that produces a tireshredding 80 rwhp.. and the diff. only drives the passenger side rear wheel... Oh, and it's automatic and has no power steering... and drums all around..

Heh.. The only thing it has going for it is it's sexy looking, and doesn't have ABS.

So a 240z is a good deal? I have to reasearch some more into them, but are some years better than others?

Comment

I'm getting a 240Z. and a 240Z has 155FHP, so thats around 120whp, and it has a 2.4L inline-6, hence the name, 240Z. and is your mustang a coupe or fastback? they are nice, I thought about getting one after I rode in one, but the Z is too nice. you can pick up an LSD for I assume cheap, if not pick up a phantomgrip adapter to make your viscous into and LSD. I too have a thing for older cars. they are lighter, sexy, and they are as plush as this new crap coming out.

and oh yea, ABS pisses me off.

rock.

Comment

I love the look of the 240 and they bolt off the line really fast, there is a little bit of lightening that must be done to drift. I was test driving a perfect '71 240 about two weeks ago and it took off but I was in 4th in about 15 seconds and the part that pisses me off about the 240s is that there is no 5th and that was the only reason why i didn't buy the car. Plus I hate carburetors.

Comment

whos your brother?

Hey, my brother works at bonderaunt and is pretty good friends with James Bonderaunt, the drifting instructor there, give me a message on AIM sometime and we can talk.

AIM: BMW Pettas

Comment

Re: 240

Originally posted by doorifto
                I love the look of the 240 and they bolt off the line really fast, there is a little bit of lightening that must be done to drift. I was test driving a perfect '71 240 about two weeks ago and it took off but I was in 4th in about 15 seconds and the part that pisses me off about the 240s is that there is no 5th and that was the only reason why i didn't buy the car. Plus I hate carburetors.

your kidding me right? omg man. those are characteristics that make it a classic car. they don't make cars like that anymore. and the 240Z takes around 8 seconds to get to 60, so it's not exactly a Ferarri or anything. you can swap in a L28ET, it is turbocharged, efi, and has a 5-speed transmission. but seriously. just because it comes with something stock you don't like, doesn't mean you can't change it with aftermarket parts/newer model parts. the 240Z is more than 30 years old, I would think it would have some kind of aftermarket support after 30 years you know. just becuase it isn't as popular as a Civica or a 240SX, doesn't mean it can't be a cost effective rocket.

rock.

Comment

I love old Z's and was thinking about getting one but apparrently they are really find people who to tune them and they're pretty hard to work on yourself. Other than that I love 'em.

Comment

I've seen 240z's drift awsomely man, I'd say go for it.

Oh that reminds me, on my GRIP VIDEO DVD, some guy was drifing and 89 camaro!! That was sick

Comment

holy sh*t get the 240Z! i had one! they are AWESOME! check out hybridz.org for ideas on motor swaps (people put EVERYTHING in these cars) and also look into Robello Racing (they are very local to me, i'm in the bay area, CA) these cars handle great, parts are cheap, and they make very good power. and if you ever get sick of the I6 you can put in a chevy 350 or ford 302 and have BETTER weight distribution and gobs more torque. oldschools are the sh*T. right now i've started on my 76 SR5 mango project...

Comment

Z's are awsome

A Z car is a good choice and if you dont like the inline 6 I have heard of many V-8 conversions and even some RB25 and RB26 conversions. If you wanna find good suspension and brakes along with other performance goodies as well as body kits and maybe a new rear end check out www.arizonazcar.com. This guys is really cool, and he has some nice parts. His brakes are really nice. He said he has broke motor mounts from the stopping power, and even thrown a powerstearing belt off without breaking it. I met him at the last club meeting I was at. The guy with the sick 260z on the home page is the club president, and hes running all of his stuff.

Lucidstrife

Comment

ok quick low down,

tah start the 240z 260z and 280z earlier the better, but there all good cars.. id say they have as much credibility as a 86 if they made a famous cartoon on them.. haha

but seriously the car weighs in at 23-2400 lbs (240Z), about as light as my miata (i own both, like my Z better).

Motor swaps are limit-less, drop in a 350 V8 throw aluminum heads on it, and the motor is as light as the stock straight six. with twice the power and it sits further behind the front axle which means better handling and the kit is only 200 bucks.

LSD, the later model 280zx (1980's) have a LSD diff the R200 which can be bought and swapped in for about 3 or 4 hundred and is basically bulletproof.

what else would need to be assesed?? hmm maybe tighten up the steering and ofcourse some suspension goodies... all fairly cheap and readilly available!

but the down side is the car is not a grab-and-drift kind of car.. and i recomend it not be your daily driver. but a great weekend driver... and nothing beats the simplicity of a old car...

the stock motor is childs play to work one, plenty of room and no crazy wires or unecessary computer components...

the key to this car is simplicity and the ability to use and interchange parts with later model Z's.

great car though, great car!

Thrillz

Comment

Well, i'll let you know soon as I start sliding mine. I don't think that car is going to slide near as easy as an 86. But, I could be wrong.

Comment

it slides easier, cause its lighter.. but it takes a different kind of control deffinatly...
                              Thrillz

Comment

Working...
                              X