DOT and EPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOT and EPA

anyone know what you need to get from the DOT and EPA to import a car? how long does it take, where do you do it, and how much does it cost?

call them up.

Comment

ok

yeah i found stuff on DOT but the MPA is a &*%^(* so I'll have to spend some time hunting for there number or an office

Comment

LOT harder than you think. Just remember, if it was any kind of easy, everyone would be doing it.

Comment

hope you have A LOT of money saved. A lawyer could also be useful to help you through the legalities involved.

Comment

money

Yeah well i know my roomate has done it befor with his sr20det but he got by by saying he wasn ot going to run the motor witch he does, yet it's hard to do that with a car unless you are making a shower car, and i know lots of people have done it befor. i use to leave close to long beach and I saw a skyline or 2 every months on the road.
            never got to be pwned by one with my datsun 240z though

Comment

You need the following

Proof of ownership
              Certificate of Origin
              Declaration on Importation
              Form 7501
              Form HS 7
              Form EPA 3520

Comment

Originally posted by otakugt4
                You need the following...

...Form 7501
                Form HS 7
                Form EPA 3520
                What are all those forms and numbers.

BTW... Why do people always want to import cars directly from Japan. Drive north a couple of hours and you can get your hands on any Japanese car pre-1989 in Canada. To me that makes more sence then shipping it a couple of hundred miles over the ocean and all the crap that comes with it.

But then again, theres plenty of cars in the US to drift without going through all the hassle or importing.

Comment

Those are the forms your DMV will ask for to title it in the US. Without them it can cost as much as $10,000 to run the car through all the hoops to title it and get it tagged in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Velvet
                    What are all those forms and numbers.

BTW... Why do people always want to import cars directly from Japan. Drive north a couple of hours and you can get your hands on any Japanese car pre-1989 in Canada. To me that makes more sence then shipping it a couple of hundred miles over the ocean and all the crap that comes with it.

But then again, theres plenty of cars in the US to drift without going through all the hassle or importing.
                    i live in canada, but i dont think that you can just take one of the cars from here that's pre 1989 and bring it to the us because the laws are different there and you still need to legalize it, you just dont have to ship it from japan... but correct me if im wrong... (which i may be)

Comment

Working...
                    X