The Sprinter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sprinter

Can someone please explain to me what a "Sprinter" is? Because i've heard of the Trueno being called a Sprinter Trueno but I just cant figure out what the sprinter part means.

it has something to do with the model. like here we have a gts corolla, over there they have gt apex and sprinters. at least this is what i think it means. try the reference section at
    www.club4ag.com
    they should have the information your looking for.

Comment

not 100% sure but in other markets,

sprinter=corolla

just like fairlady= "Z" series

180sx= 240sx fastback

etc etc

Comment

as for ae86:

in japan they have sprinter trueno(flip up lights) and corolla levin(stationary lights)

sprinter or corolla is the name of the car. levin or trueno is the grade, which basically means coupe (either 2dr or 3dr)

so basically a sprinter is almost the same as a corolla in japan

Comment

Not sure what bluballz just meant,

The Sprinter Trueno only RESEMBLES the corolla, because if they were the same car, the Sprinter Trueno would still be alive and it'd look completely different from the Corolla XR-s or the 2000 edition. Toyota made different models and integrated it into the American sales. You can't just say the TRUENO is an equivalent to the COROLLA, they are only the same car for those years where they looked the same. Go check it out for yourself, the 2000 trueno looks nothing like the 2000 corolla.

Comment

Okay, I'll put it a little more clearly.

In Japan the manufacturers all have a few different dealership channels.

In the case of the Sprinter and Corolla, they are the same car with slightly different styling and options, sold through different channels. Look at GM truck products for instance...You can get a Chevy Tahoe or a GMC Yukon. Same deal.

Another note: See those 4- and 5-door Chevy Nova/Geo Prizm/Chevy Prizms? They are slightly restyled Corollas as you know. In Japan, those were the Sprinter-badged models.

Now, for the Levin and Trueno...

So, for the sport model of each line-up, they used these names. Levin has been attached to the sport Corolla in Japan since the 70s, so we got Corolla Levin. The Trueno nameplate has been around in advance of the AE86 as well, and was applied to the sport model of the Sprinter.

Since they had AE82 "Chevy Nova Twincams" in the 80s, I always thought in some bizzaro world there could have been a "Nova SS" which would have been an AE86 with the Levin styling treatment. It didn't happen, but it would have made perfect sense given the Corolla/Nova models here at the time. It would have been cool...

Comment

glad that you cleared that up

Comment

Working...
              X