This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestic Drift

Well I was wondering how many of you brave souls drift in american cars? I myself am learning in a '92 Duster. Anyone else?

Warning, NO FLAMING!!!! If you don't slide a Domestic, DON'T post in here. Let's here who all out there has a Domestic, not who doesn't like em.

Comment

I like some domestics, but I don't own one, so I'm out...

Comment

I've seen this guy on the GRIP VIDEO #5 with a '91 cam, and it's really cool.

Glad you guys are doin your own thing!

Comment

i actually *want* to see some domestics, ive been to 2 driftdays and the field is dominated by the s13, i like the car, its just that more variety would be nicer

from driftday.com

Comment

So ahh, what's a duster look like and what does it have and do you have any pictures of it?

Comment

The guy with the 91 Camaro in Grip Vid #5 is Chris (REVLIMIT). Recently he retired the 91 chassis and swapped everything over to an 84 chassis and now he has a 400hp motor. Here is a pic of him drifting his car (older pic, retired chassis).

And here's a pic of me drifting one of my cars on the same turn:

If you want to see more pics check out www.powerslideways.com

Comment

First Gen Camero

I got my dad's 67 Camero SS cuz Japanese cars in the US a freaking expensive. I first didn't want to drift a domestic since I grew up with silvias, cefiros, skylines and chasers. Over in Okinawa they are pretty cheap to buy and build up. But I began to like the Chevy. I'm trying to build up the 350 to about 400 hp and 400 ibs torque (i hope) and lighten it with aluminum heads. Also changing the steel hood, fenders and doors to fiberglass. I think the muscle cars are now beginning to be built up to be touring cars. So there are alot of suspension parts out there, thank god. I realize that muscle cars have more aftermarket options for build up than Japanese cars. I haven't seen aftermarket driveshafts, axles and such for silvias within a reasonable price.

Quick questions: drifting requires low RPM power but I want a Hi ram mainfold is it possible to get the power from it at low RPM?

Should I have a little wider tires up front?

Comment

hey thanks for that link CrazyHawaiian!

Comment

No problem, lagcisco. There are a bunch of other domestic drifters over there in the continental USA too. Also check out www.driftfox.com to check out some Mustang Drifting and search these forums for the guys drifting the El Camino to find their website.

StreetR, the cam you use will determine where your motor makes its power. The manifold and intake should be matched with the cam, so before making any changes to either (cam, manifold, or intake) keep that in consideration. For my track car motor build I went very conservative, 87+ Gen 1 SBC, stock heads, aftermarket cam, air gap manifold and a 750 vs carb. I expect it to make about 300 hp/tq at the wheels with a 1,000-5,500 powerband and a very very flat torque curve until the secondaries open up.

Comment

hmm i think i've seen that mustang at the first driftday i went to, there 2 two of em, both 5.0s

Comment

Erkumi: This is what mine currently looks like (this isn't MY duster but a picture of one, I have yet to take photos of mine).

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/rakeron/duster.jpg

(note: this link acts funny sometimes. if you can't see it delete the period in "duster.jpg" and re-enter it. for some odd reason this fixes it.)

Its currently stock with a Mitsubishi/Chrysler 3.0 V6 (stock rated @141hp) and the semi-rare 5 speed manual. (The reason for its rarity is because a majority chose the horrible a604 automatic over the manual.) I have plans to redo the suspension and work up the engine to 180 - 200 hp NA along with a clutch kit & an LSD. This should run me less than $2000. Not bad seeing how I bought it for $900.
                        Last edited by rakeron; 08-09-2004, 08:34 AM.

Comment

hey sorry i dont have a domestic i just wanted to know cus i heard that they waste massive amounts of gas cus of the roaring V8s and all but does it really waste that much? cus i like domestics as much as i like imports and domestics are kind of easier to fix up here than imports and also one quick question do you guys drive it stick or auto? cus most of the domestics i see are auto but they are mostly for drag. but i would like to drift a domestic but the gas is what puts me down i dont want ot waste alot of gas ( i drive an SUV)

Comment

A 90 model Mustang V8 has the same gas mileage as a Mark 2 Toyota Supra and weighs in about 600lbs less. The gas mileage thing isn't as big a difference as you think. The Domestics can do anything that the Imports can. Just a matter of taste.

Comment

My new Camaro gets about 15 miles to the gallon...while that aint to good...considering it's pushing close to 400hp I wouldn't consider that to bad either. On an average track day I only use 5 gallons of gas. That's with driving to the track (10 miles) then drifting for about 6 hours and then driving back. So really V8's arent' that bad. Here's some pictures of me driftng my new car. Sadly right now it looks extremely stock..mostly due to the fact that I'm always broke. Soon I'll have some CF up on it and probably fabricate some custom body kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X