what size wheels for drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what size wheels for drifting?

is there any particular size of wheels that is best for drifting? or does it matter just curious i figure you guys will know if anyone does

when the silvia did drift i ran 18 in works up front and 19's in the back most of the time if i drifted on the street. 245's up front and 265's in the back.on the track i used 17's all the way aorund with staggered tire sizing..245's up front and 265's in the rear

Comment

19 is big...
      maybe 16s, 17s

Comment

Most drifters don't have endless bank accounts ,so I'll give you something to think about.Bigger rims cost more money,which need even bigger tires,which also cost more money.Also,the larger wheels will weigh more and create a larger rotational mass.Just something to think about.

On most cars,I would not go bigger than 17 for driving around,let alone drifting or racing.The extra inch isn't really needed.If you want to save money though,15's or 16's would be the way to go.

Comment

easy answer, it depends on 3 things, your skill level, your hp, and your $$$
          BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

most of the time if i would drift it was on the street and i would drift with what i had on the car which was 19's. breaking the rear is no problem with over 400hp on tap. but yeah i went thru 2 sets of tires and at over 300 a pop each for advan neovas it was quite expensive. if i went on the track i would drift in the super advans and volks. 17s. i liked the way the 17s felt better than the 19's to be honest

Comment

ive used both 18s and 17s and i personally like 18s more, and they look nicer, but 17s are cheaper and more performance oriented

Comment

Ahh yeah i think 14s are the way to go

Comment

14's?

Yeah, but with 14's, few companies make them, so finding an appealing rim might be difficult.

Comment

My stock 15's on my Forester are HOT...if you like that "ordinary" "I drive a pos station wagon" look, lol.

Some 17's would look nice on it, maybe some SSR knockoffs would work, haven't really looked much.

I don't mind 15's. If you're driving on rough surfaces, it saves your rims. The handling will be a bit more sloppy though...yet softer.

Comment

Use whatever size came stock on your car. The smaller the wheel, the cheaper the tire. Smaller wheels also are lighter. Don't get big wheels unless you are sp@wnz0red.

I have 14x5.5s.

Comment

As for diameter, I'd say 15's or 16's are the best for the cheap azzes out there (like me) because thats the most common sizes in the used tire bin. But 17's or 18's are better if you can afford it (or find tires) because the tires generally have less sidewall which means less flex (which is what you want). As for the width, I'd say the widest possible if you're into tire stretching, otherwise stock width is good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
                          easy answer, it depends on 3 things, your skill level, your hp, and your $$$
                          this I agree with totally.

One, if you cant drive for doo doo really doesnt matter what you can drive. once you start to drive you will notice things like not getting as much forward momentum with tire/wheel choice with the amount of power you have.

Personally, I have stock SR with a few mods but not much more horsepower than stock and I would dif say that is with stock sizes/ 15x7 is just terrible for forward movement. I would say with about 250-300hp 17x9s are a good choice. of course, this all costs money. If you had less HP you wheels could not keep them spinning without ALOT of RPM, or constant clutching as example. too small, just spin NOT GOOD

I dont know what Crazy hawaiian is saying by run the largest tire? wheel? combo? or do you mean largest wheel width with a smaller tire to give the stretched look? 9j on the back with 235-245s are not stretched and work very well.

Comment

Originally posted by allblackS14
                            most of the time if i would drift it was on the street and i would drift with what i had on the car which was 19's. breaking the rear is no problem with over 400hp on tap. but yeah i went thru 2 sets of tires and at over 300 a pop each for advan neovas it was quite expensive. if i went on the track i would drift in the super advans and volks. 17s. i liked the way the 17s felt better than the 19's to be honest
                            No offense ................... but I think you are full of BS

Comment

I dont at all think 17+ rims are beter. All you have to do is get low profile tires for your 14s. And they will be just as good as ya 17s and up.

Comment

Working...
                              X