MA70 question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MA70 question...

I know this might belong in the tech forum but i just wanted to ask this quick question, for all you MA70 guys, do you know if a MkIII comes stock with an LSD? if its only certain years or whatever that would be helpful to know, im lookin at buyin one now and justy thought about that. thanks

RE:

All sport package equipped MA70s come with LSD. The sport package is a regular dealer's option that consists of LSD, TEMS, and a few other goodys. TEMS, if you're wondering, stands for "Toyota Electronically Modulated Suspension". It's basically active chassis. You can change the suspension setting from hard to soft with the push of a button.

On the downside, these cars are heavy. However, 3200 lbs is pretty much safe for MA70 drivers. The MA70 curbed stock at about 3400. Racing seats, back-seat removal, and spare-tire removal will put you at 3200 lbs. It's possible to get it slightly under 3000lbs (basically FD weight), but you're going to have to strip the whole car =P

As far as the weight thing goes, you're just going to have to be careful when you're starting out. Exiting corners isn't going to be fun in the beginning. These heavy cars have the tendency to slide out (toward the wall), forcing you to ease of the gas, regain traction, and wiggle (that's what happened back in the day when I started out -_^). Anyhow, it is possible to go WOT on the corner exit, but just get used to transfering the weight and the overall weight of the car first.

In case you haven't done your hw, the USDM MA70 came with 2 engine choices:

7MGE - 200hp; n/a (Currently what I'm running)
    7MGTE - 230 (232 for '89+)

In Japan, there was a JZA70 Twin Turbo featuring the 280hp 1JZGTTE. It's not an uncommong swap, if you're looking for more power.

Personally I prefer the responsiveness of the 7MGE over the turbo, but that's just me.

If you're looking for parts, www.suprasport.com is a great place to start. They've got the BoMeX body kit, CFX's signature MA70 CF hood... they have TEIN and HKS coilover setups, RS-R springs, etc... check 'em out.

Bottom line: They're heavy cars, but they're always a blast to drive. Just don't go too crazy on your first couple of runs with it, and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by ACDSupra7; 12-04-2003, 01:52 AM.

Comment

The supra is a very expensive vehicle to maintain and modify. All I can say is good luck. It's been a year and I finally got a handle on how my car reacts to my actions fully stock. Now all I need is a bulletproof motor.

Comment

RE:

The only thing disaster prone on an MA70 is the headgasket. Watch it.

Comment

Re: RE:

Originally posted by ACDSupra7
          The only thing disaster prone on an MA70 is the headgasket. Watch it.
          Thats what ive heard, and im currently looking for a turbo version (with a sport package for the LSD) if anyone happen to come upon one, also, i know im counting my chickens, but ive already got some mods in mind for when i do get it, see what you think.

Blitz Nurspec Catback
          Blitz SUS Power Intake
          Boost Controller
          Head Gasket
          Strut Tower Braces
          Random Technology Downpipe
          CF Hood
          Bomex (type 2 i believe) Front Lip

And maybe some lowering springs jsut for kicks, of course this is all what i plan to do through high school/college so its not gonna be immediate or anything, and also, youll notice i dont have many suspension parts on there because i prolly wont be able to push out that much cash for a while and wanna work on the engine first, but i will have suspension in there, anyway i g2g lemme know your thoughts

Comment

put some suspension on it if you plan on drifting it. thats a heavy car, it could use the new suspension. the turbo has enough power for you to start out with, and def. dont go loading it up with power stuff. unless you dont wanna drift. then it would be ok.

Comment

RE:

The Bomex A1 kit. I love that kit.

Turbo is probably not the best choice if you wanna bring that thing to the canyons, but that's all you. You're mods are pretty right on, but luv2 is right. You need to concentrate on suspension. An anti-sway bar will help you initially, and look into some coilovers for the long run. (I'm looking at JIC).

Also, weight reduction is your friend. For something like $200 you can get Sparco Speed seats, which is about a 100 pound drop. Good luck, and welcome to the MA70 drifting life -_^

Comment

now that i rethink it, i shouldve gone ahead and put coilovers in there, that was my initial plan, but i got kinda power hungry lookin through suprastore.com and suprasport.com, does Tein make anyting for MA70's? or how about those new Tanabe DD coilovers? anyone got any info on who has these? ill talk to chas later tonight but if he doesnt get on could you all post some links? anyway, ill prolly cut most of that stuff, stick with like a downpipe, blitz nurspec, blitz SUS power, and a boost controller, then do suspension, hood, lip, and rims/tires

BTW anyone got any suggestions for rims? the only two ive seen that i like are volk te37's (i love those) and maybe some Konig Heliums....any suggestions/links?

BTW what is the reasoning for suggesting the non-turbo version?
                Last edited by driftmunky; 12-04-2003, 08:38 PM.

Comment

RE:

You're in luck. TEIN makes their popular Type Flex and EDFC combo for the MA70.

The 7MGTE lacks some of the response that GE gives. Like I said, if you're going to be doing primarily touge, turbo is probably not the best way to start. You can upgrade to turbo for well under $1000 if you want. Or just go straight to the 1JZ.

Comment

arent the flex series bad for drifitng?

Comment

RE:

I haven't heard anything about it. But nothing beats EDFC -_^

Anyhow, I'm guessing the JIC setup of Kei-Office setup would work best for drifting.

Comment

link?

Comment

Drift King

I Forgot where I heard this but I heard There was a pretty well known drifter in Japan who Drifted a stock 1989 MA70 with a 7mGE motor and it only had an intake. Do you guys know anything of this?

Comment

The car drifted was the 7M-GTE Turbo-A spec supra.

Im not too sure on the details of the driver, but the kit I've got says "Drift King", Im not sure if thats true or not.

The Turbo-A spec Supras were all LSD, 199kw. Body code : BLMXZ. 1530kg.

More info @ www.turbo-a.net
                            Attached Files

Comment

Re: MA70 question...

Originally posted by driftmunky
                              I know this might belong in the tech forum but i just wanted to ask this quick question, for all you MA70 guys, do you know if a MkIII comes stock with an LSD? if its only certain years or whatever that would be helpful to know, im lookin at buyin one now and justy thought about that. thanks
                              Damn this would have been soooo much quicker, if you search google first.

Whatever, I'm still pissed off at my perdicament...emission knows what I'm talking about....
                              Last edited by Wickdmarz; 08-17-2004, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X