Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to drift in the USA!

Hi guys.

I've been thinking about this for over a year, and allthough chances are slim that someone here can help me out, I'd still like to write this, just in case...

The thing is: Drifting opportunities in Norway is still very limited. I've only drifted two times this year here in Norway! So to show my skills I went to the UK, where drifting is slowly getting bigger. I ended up winning the first ever D1 supported event in Europe, the Drift UK race in Birmingham. Ken Nomura was there to judge the event, and the Option team filmed it for their video.

Now, that opened some doors, but not much will happen before the D1 guys come to Europe for real, and that will probably not be until next year. By then, I'll be in a mental institution, drifting a white bed... I have so much to give, but sitting here makes me crazy.

Now, I've been racing since 1988, and have a lot of experience as a racingdriver. I've raced a little in UK and around Scandinavia. My biggets achievement was finishing 2nd in the Formula Ford festival in 1995, beating 96 drivers from 27 countries...After that success Norways biggest newspaper claimed that I was to be the first Norwegian F1 driver. Obviously that never happened. In fact, it'll probably never happen to any Norwegian driver, as getting sponsorship for racing is virtually impossible in Norway. With only four million people in the whole country, the only way to get sponsorship is by being a cross-country skier...

So I started drifting, and for the first time in my life I got recognition for my driving. People are coming up to me saying "damn, you're a good driver". My usual response is "I've been a good driver for 16 years...".

Seriously, drifting is my second chance, and I'm not going to sit here in Norway, waiting for something to happen. However, I have absolutely no idea where to start. What I do know is that I wish to go to the USA to drift. Perhaps for a season, perhaps permanently. I guess that all depends on what the future brings.

So why do I write all this here at Drifting.com? Well, I need some help to get in touch with the right people. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Do you know anyone who might be able to help me out, let me know. I'm willing to give 100% to make this happen and if someone here can help me, I'll make sure I'll pay you back in some way or another.

I've also attached a couple of videos that show what I can do.

Promovideo for myself:
    http://www.gunstig.no/Drifting-revebanen-fsr.wmv

Celebration after winning the D1/DriftUK event:
    http://www.scaira.co.uk/vids/Driftin...m%20Wheels.wmv

Please contact me for more info or if you have any suggestions as to what I should do

Email: fredrik@s-com.no
    Phone: +47 9208 9524

cool a person wanting to come drift here!!! i think you should look for tune shops....they could help you..ie sponsership(misspelled)........also consider the risk of shipping your car over here all that money......and then shipping it back......i think more people here could help you.......good luck

is that yellow ae86 your's cause that thing looks clean!!!

Comment

The yellow AE86 is mine, but I'm not sure if I'll bring that, or get another car over there. Depends on what happens really. The best thing would obviously be to drive a car owned by a sponsor...

Comment

Man the US needs more people like you. Not much people here has that much desier(not sure if spelled right) or passion for something in life. Most people here are just chasing the dollor. I wish you good luck with that man and hope to see you competing here.

Comment

Agree^^....look for shops to sponser you or have a car for you to drive...you don't won't to pay for the price of shipping your car, when you have to pay for the price of living here. good luck in your goals...

Comment

fsr!
            That's your corolla?! WTH! I have this awsome vid of (you) drifting it on a track. It's so kick *Censored**Censored**Censored*, I can't believe your him man. Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by rwd polak
              fsr!
              That's your corolla?! WTH! I have this awsome vid of (you) drifting it on a track. It's so kick *Censored**Censored**Censored*, I can't believe your him man. Nice!
              Thanks man. Glad you like it

Comment

NP bro, it was awsome. Even my dad was like phew!

Comment

Have you thought about following up with the Japan contacts you made at Drift UK race in Birmingham? I'm sure its possible for you to find a sponsor in the USA but keep in mind that drifting has been recognized as a worthwhile sponsorship outlet in Japan for much longer than it has here in the USA. The USA is progressing, but still nowhere close to the ammount of sponsorship support you'll find in Japan.

Comment

save your money man thats all i can think of. and move to the west coast.

i've seen some videos of you. Your pretty damn good so you would go far IMHO

Comment

Fredrik,

Do you know about the D1 Drivers Searches?

November 6th 2004
                      Las Vegas Speedway, Las Vegas Nevada,
                      D1GP USA Driver Search Points Series Round 3
                      With Special D1 Professional Driving School, and Exhibitions
                      Demo-teams: APEX, Blitz, Team Orange, Team Green and more
                      Official judge: Keiichi Tsuchiya, Mnabu Orido, Manabu Suzuki, Nomuken
                      Technical Announcer: Toshi Hayama
                      Entrants: Limit to 70 cars
                      Special guests: UEO,Ueno, Youichi,Yamada and more.

December 11th 2004.
                      Irwindale Speedway, Irwindale California,
                      D1GP USA Driver Search Championship
                      Entrants: Limit to 100 cars

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
                        Have you thought about following up with the Japan contacts you made at Drift UK race in Birmingham? I'm sure its possible for you to find a sponsor in the USA but keep in mind that drifting has been recognized as a worthwhile sponsorship outlet in Japan for much longer than it has here in the USA. The USA is progressing, but still nowhere close to the ammount of sponsorship support you'll find in Japan.
                        Yes, I have, but making it in Japan will be very hard. Not sure if they would put a Norwegian driver in a sponsored car when they have hundreds of Japanese drivers standing in line. After all, I'm still a beginner, and I think the level in USA is a better place for me to start, as I might have a chance to do well. I mean, I could do well in Japan too, who knows, but there would be a lot of barriers such as language and culture. Norway is quite close to USA in that department, and I'll definately fit in a lot better over there.

But I will try everything, and definately have a look at the Japanese scene.

Comment

Originally posted by WINDING Master
                          Fredrik,

Do you know about the D1 Drivers Searches?

November 6th 2004
                          Las Vegas Speedway, Las Vegas Nevada,
                          D1GP USA Driver Search Points Series Round 3
                          With Special D1 Professional Driving School, and Exhibitions
                          Entrants: Limit to 70 cars

December 11th 2004.
                          Irwindale Speedway, Irwindale California,
                          D1GP USA Driver Search Championship
                          Entrants: Limit to 100 cars
                          Yes, the problem is how to get there

Comment

yeah unlike other sports most shops or teams arn't willing to ship a new driver to a new country unless they see a lot of potential. and with drifting just getting going in the US it would be hard for that to happen.

YOu could look for a job that needs you to live in the US.

Comment

Well, see a lot of potential is what I hope they do. I've allready proven myself as a racer, and feel confident that my skills are good enough to build something on...

Comment

Working...
                              X