Old dude on tv just explained drifting on tv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old dude on tv just explained drifting on tv

I am watching this show on History channel, Called Modern Marvel The Sports Car...And they were talking about the first model Porsche came out with and they were talking about how the rear engine caused the rear slide out sometime..And this old guy was like " But that was good sometimes because if you wanted to go through a corner faster, you could just go at it at a higher speed than you normally would and hit the brakes and the back end would slide out and then you'd just go out of the turn" So basically he said drifting, but he didnt realize it..I dunno..I thought it was kinda cool..

Drifting has made history for almost a century,it just wasn' t reconized as that.

Comment

Back in the Stone Age people were turning too quick on their carts and this causes the stone wheels to break loose.

So, that's drifting too?

Comment

So, would that make rear engine placed cars better for drifting, or should I say easier for drifting?

Comment

BEcause there is to much oversteer, it is ahrder to drift a mid rear car because of the weight. I guess if you were used to it you could.

Comment

"At the first bend, I had the clear sensation that Tazio had taken it badly and that we would end up in the ditch; I felt myself stiffen as I waited for the crunch. Instead, we found ourselves on the next straight with the car in a perfect position. I looked at him, his rugged face was calm, just as it always was, and certainly not the face of someone who had just escaped a hair-raising spin. I had the same sensation at the second bend. By the fourth or fifth bend I began to understand; in the meantime, I had noticed that through the entire bend Tazio did not lift his foot from the accelerator, and that, in fact, it was flat on the floor. As bend followed bend, I discovered his secret. Nuvolari entered the bend somewhat earlier than my driver's instinct would have told me to. But he went into the bend in an unusual way: with one movement he aimed the nose of the car at the inside edge, just where the curve itself started. His foot was flat down, and he had obviously changed down to the right gear before going through this fearsome rigmarole. In this way he put the car into a four-wheel drift, making the most of the thrust of the centrifugal force and keeping it on the road with the traction of the driving wheels. Throughout the bend the car shaved the inside edge, and when the bend turned into the straight the car was in the normal position for accelerating down it, with no need for any corrections."

-Enzo Ferrari

(Tazio = Tazio Nuvolari, born November 18, 1892.)

keep in mind though, these are older cars on older roads/courses, likely dirt

http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/nuvo_bio.htm
            Last edited by boro240; 12-04-2003, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Hells yes they used to drift in the stone age. I heard one time this guy was driving his horse and did choku's down the straight. It was madness!!

Comment

Up until the 1970s, Formula 1 was driftastic.

Comment

Chas, I think he is talking about RR but they have basically the same problems. Worse becuase the engine is in the back not the mid. Weight distribution like a FF, in reverse. Not really a good drift platform. Not impossible. You can drift anything. My dunebuggy has no trouble getting sideways. If you could break the rear loose in a RR. It would be hard to keep it there. Weight wants to follow the front wheels and weight is planted on rear wheels. Not a good slide, it would probably feel like wheel hop in a FF. Feels good on dirt though.

BTW nice sig space boy.

Comment

Thanks, Ain't she hot? So, it's just that RR cars just exhibit more oversteer than usual. Maybe I should stop clutch kicking if I get one. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X