Newb ? answers much appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb ? answers much appreciated

I was wondering if u can make a N/A rx7 and turn it into a turbo by putting a kit on it or is it impossible to do that. I ask cause i have a N/A 87 Rx7 and i want to make it turbo but i don't know if i can

Please help thanx a bunch

u can put a turbo on pretty much any car. your just haveto have all the necesarry parts, and if nobody makes em, make em yourself.

Comment

Please check your car forum before coming here.

Go here http://www.teamfc3s.org/forum/index.php?s=

Comment

Of course!!!! Get a later rx-7 motor in it and turbo it baby!

Comment

Alhough Im 13 and not supposed to now about cars but I do research and you can put turbo on basicly any car exept na (natural aspiration cars) and some mercedez that already come with supercharger.

I sujest go to google.com or IMPORTTUNNER.COM

I hope they have info LUCK BRO

Comment

Originally posted by 4WD-4WD
            Alhough Im 13 and not supposed to now about cars but I do research and you can put turbo on basicly any car exept na (natural aspiration cars) and some mercedez that already come with supercharger.

I sujest go to google.com or IMPORTTUNNER.COM

I hope they have info LUCK BRO

So if you can't put a Turbo on an N/A car, what can you put a turbo on?

Comment

ahah ya sorry buddy, but you contradicted yourself, but ill let it slide for a fee

Comment

I don't know rotaries like I do piston engines, but I do know that you can do an engine swap if you can't turbo the N/A rotary. Also some guys have swapped piston engines in to get better reliability. Hope that helps.

Comment

Ah but do you have to put a new engine in it for a turbo? Becuase those take time and money XD

Comment

doesn't really matter. you can turbocharge just about anything, even a lawnmower.

Comment

Originally posted by rwd polak
                      Ah but do you have to put a new engine in it for a turbo? Becuase those take time and money XD

Comment

Originally posted by Tuner
                        Oh my head....for real Tuner.

Alright...I'm going to try to answer a few of the THOUSANDS of questions that have popped up in this thrad, and try to sort out some of this misinformation.

"forced induction" is when you essentially pump pressureized air into the motor. This can be done by supercharging or turbocharging.

a "N/A" or "normally aspirated" motor is one that does not use forced induction

normally aspirated motors can be converted to utilize forced induction. That is what turbo and supercharger kits do.

You do not necessarily have to "swap out" your normally aspirated motor if you want to go to forced induction. However, for high boost levels (i.e. a lot of pressure, say 18 psi. an arbitrary number, "low" boost is usually considered to be 6 or 7 psi. This all depends on the motor. I've seen 18 psi run on many stock blocks without blowing things up. I've also seen 18 psi kick rods clean out of the block) it is likely that you will need to upgrade your motor's internals. Common things to change are connecting rods, cranks, and pistons, as well as a switch to stronger hardware and gaskets.

When you pump air into a motor like that, you need to add fuel as well. This is why you will need to change or upgrade your fuel injection system. Some setups rely on sensors that read boost, some just preprogramed fuel maps (In other words, you chip the motor and run a predetermined amount of boost.) In some cases people will upgrade to "stand alone" engine management, which is a fully user-programable fuel injection system. It allows you to create your own fuel maps, so you can adjust fueling for optimal performance.

I am no rx-7 expert, but what I gather is this: you can turbocharge the NA motor, but one better way is to swap to the whole shebang out of a TurboII rx-7 (or a purpose/custom built rotary engine and turbo setup of some variety) and augument it with a well tuned standalone system due to limitations in the stock turboII fuel injection system.

WAIVER: You'll have to ask the rotor-heads for more information. I just know that that is ONE way to do it, probably not the best or easiest.

Pretty much what it comes down to is yes, it can be done. If you need to ask if it can be done, you probably don't have the ability to do it yourself without some serious reading and learning. You need to get yourself over to an rx-7 forum and learn up on it. Follow Tuner's link.

4wd-4wd. You are completely confused. read this, and read some howstuffworks.com or something. Also, "IMPORTTUNER.COM" would not be my first stop for information by any means.

rwdpolack, ALL turbo setups take time and money, usually more then you think. That is the nature of the beast...and once it is in and running, the costs don't stop there. There are often unforseen difficulties in building such a setup.

I am going to bed.
                        Last edited by Parry; 09-02-2004, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Anything is possible...

Stage 1 - cheap
                          Get a turbo and turbo exhaust manifold from an FC3S turbo
                          Get a spacer so everything fits, cause it's not going to clear your lower intake manifold
                          Drill holes for fittings for oil and coolant lines for turbo
                          Make or buy downpipe
                          Make custom FMIC
                          *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* CAS a few degrees
                          Cross you fingers everything doesn't blow up

Stage 2 - cheap +
                          Get FC3S turbo ECU, engine harness, boost sensor
                          Rewire fuel pump relay

Stage 3 - expensive NA turbo
                          Get a stand-alone EMS

Stage 4 - NA turns into a Turbo II
                          Get J-Spec or wrecked FC3S turbo engine
                          Do the full engine swap
                          Recommended to get Turbo II transmission, driveshaft, rear diff, and axles

Comment

I like stage 4.

I also like taking the Rotary completely out of it and making a boat anchor.

Comment

Working...
                            X