Porsche Dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche Dilema

I'v been working on my recently purchsed 1967 porsche 911. Upgraded brake's, new brakeline's etc... The time has come for an engine choice, I can go with a cheap bug engine and c how i like it ,Or go with a porsche engine a 914 to be exact for 1100. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to make a wrong decision. Don't know to much about porsche engines except that they are expensive to fix

umm iw ould go with a porsche motor but isn't the 914 that hunk of crap rodster.

Comment

Thats what i heard about the 914 wasn't too sure though..what would be a good porsche motor to go with? Any suggestions

Comment

You would probably get better info if you went on rennlist.com,

From what you say its not a 911 but a 912. The 911 comes with a flat 6 where the 912 comes with the flat 4.
        BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Excuse me? hunk of crap roadster? Try a mid mounted engine with near perfect weight distribution. I don't think many people have tried to drift with them but they are some of the top AXing cars with the right drivers. Please get your facts straight before you call them hunk of crap roadster. These things are ready to rock in the twisties factory with a 1.7 and they go to 2.0 with the 4 cylinder and they also made a 6 cylinder. Sorry but I get riled up when someone calls a great car like the 914 a hunk of crap. Please give them a shot before you trash them. Yeah I think it is a 912 I would suggest going air cooled so try a flat six maybe. Good luck oh and hello all btw.

Comment

a 914 would be quite difficult to drift, because of the low moment of inertia. it would be up there in difficulty with an AW11 MR2, Fiero, etc, etc.

Comment

the 914 is a tough car to drift but it has a really good balance to it that if you fiddle around with the various bits on the suspension (my dad knows that kind of crap not me ) you can get it to wag its tail like a cracked out dog my dad was working on one once when i was like 8 or 9 and my uncle got drunk and decided to just go and take it out and well if you have enough agression in you , you can make the tires sing then scream in utter horror at your sheere slideability(not a real word but i like making up crazy ones ) plus it really is a pimpin car chicks dig it along with crazy serial killers too (see the classsic of cinema There`s something about Mary)
              Last edited by mudduck3006; 09-07-2004, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekKim
                Excuse me? hunk of crap roadster? Try a mid mounted engine with near perfect weight distribution. I don't think many people have tried to drift with them but they are some of the top AXing cars with the right drivers. Please get your facts straight before you call them hunk of crap roadster. These things are ready to rock in the twisties factory with a 1.7 and they go to 2.0 with the 4 cylinder and they also made a 6 cylinder. Sorry but I get riled up when someone calls a great car like the 914 a hunk of crap. Please give them a shot before you trash them. Yeah I think it is a 912 I would suggest going air cooled so try a flat six maybe. Good luck oh and hello all btw.
                dude chill. he was pulling info out of his head. humans tend to mess up past info.

no worries tonesdef, i gotchu

Comment

the 914 was actually made by VW so that might be a vairant of the bug engine anyways. i think the 914 came with three engine; the 1.7 or 1.6 (can't remember which), the 1.8, and the 2.0 if i remember correctly. all were flat fours and of course there was also the 914-6 and the 916 which came with flat 6s. if it were my car, i would throw a carrera 3.0 (78-84) or 3.2 (84-89)engine in it. you would have a semi-sleeper with a flat six in it that was pretty cheap. good luck trying to drift an older 911/912. those things are really tail heavy and it takes a skilled driver to even make them go fast.

if you want to learn about porsche 911s "Original Porsche 911" by Peter Morgan is a wonderful source.
                  Last edited by skubiekid; 09-08-2004, 12:07 PM.

Comment

aight call me krazy but you might want a heavier motor for it. it may reuquire alot of work and money but depending on how much your willing to put in somethin crazy like a rb25 or sr20 hell if you wanna go really extreme throw a chevy small block in there, these all being very drastic swaps and theres no telling how much fabrication u will have to do but all in all i think theyd be awesome for drifting and alot of fun

Comment

Originally posted by GotNismo?
                      aight call me krazy but you might want a heavier motor for it. it may reuquire alot of work and money but depending on how much your willing to put in somethin crazy like a rb25 or sr20 hell if you wanna go really extreme throw a chevy small block in there, these all being very drastic swaps and theres no telling how much fabrication u will have to do but all in all i think theyd be awesome for drifting and alot of fun
                      Wrong wrong wrong wrong.

Wrong.

Did I mention you are wrong?

WRONG.

And number then a bag of hammers to boot.

Why would he want to make the rear of the car heavier again? Do you have even the most basic understanding of a 911?

Remind me why he would want to hang MORE weight behind that rear axle? Yea, that would be EXELENT for handling.

On top of that fact, if you swapped an SR20 into a 911 I would shoot you myself. I would, no joke. Pull back that hammer and smoke you like a crack rock.

Comment

wow! ouch. i have to say i completely agree though. even drifting a 67 911 seems questionable (drifiting a classic 911?!) but cool if you can get the tail to behave and the car not to break.

Comment

Parry, I think he might have been referring to the 914..... I hope... for his sake.

but yeah, either way, heavy engines suck, unless they put out a ton of power to offset the weight difference. Even then, the car will still handle worse than before.

Comment

yes the 914 is a great car but not the best porsche has out there if i was you i would just get a flat six out of some other old 911 that would be alot better

Comment

Originally posted by malcolm
                              Parry, I think he might have been referring to the 914..... I hope... for his sake.

but yeah, either way, heavy engines suck, unless they put out a ton of power to offset the weight difference. Even then, the car will still handle worse than before.
                              I've heard of an SBC in a 914, but I would rather see a small block in one then an SR every day of the week. If you're going to do that stuff do it all the way because it's going to make the car drive like crap. I don't see too many 500+ horse sr20's...

Any of those in a 911 is number then a bag of hammers. You know what goes great in 911's? 911 motors.

Comment

Working...
                              X