Drifting n00b, lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting n00b, lol

whats up everyone! i'm mario, i'm from the chicago burbs and i'm just getting into drifting. i thought this would be the most apropriate place to introduce myself. for the past few years, i've been solely drag racing, but am now looking for a more.....interactive style of racing. over the past 3 years, i fully built a 2001 galant: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500133
    sold that car this past may, and am looking to buy my next project, a mid 90s lexus sc300. i've only been here for a few min, and have already found a bunch of info on the sc and a few owners. i think i'm gonna fit right in on these forums for now, i'm gonna be a sponge and soak up as much info as possible and prolly ask some n00bish questions. but i really appreciate everyone in advance for helping me out. haha. hope to talk to you all soon.
    ~Mario

just dont buy a "NICE" cuz car to learn on. if your practicing on the street your most likely going to tear something up..

Comment

yeah, i know what you mean. my driving skills are pretty good, so i think i will be ok. and i'll most likely stay off the streets doin it till i know i won't smash a curb or something.

Comment

Welcome to drifting.com It's always nice to see new members. I'm glad you were smart enough to do some searching first. Soak up as much as you can. There's a ton of info here for ya. As well, in the pursuit of understanding drifting, do some research on techniques and even racing info about weight shifting, traction circles, and such. Trying to understand why drifting works makes things so much easier...and safer. There's lots of good basic info on drifting techniques here and even some guides on suspension setup.

I too am a little iffy on a Lexus for a first drift car. I'd suggest something...expendable for your first venture into drifting. If you can afford a second car, I'd suggest maybe just an old beater rwd to work on, corollas, rx7s, miatas, bmws, even an mercedes or volvo, anything rwd will do, but something light and powerful helps too.

Past racing experience will help you out a bit for control and reflexes. Drag racing and drifting are two different worlds. However, being able to go fast in a car safely does get you somewhere. Some track time would be good too if you have any.

Comment

yeah, i'm workin hard for my lexus, so i won't take any chances with it once its ready, but i'll prolly get the second car after i buy the SC. i think it'll be a lot of fun to get into road course and drifting. i've done more street racing than anything, so i do have some time behind a wheel. but thats more skill over technique. but i'm lookin forward to getting into a race style with technique and things like that. i don't really know how to say what i'm trying to say, but i'm sure you know what i mean.

Comment

Working...
          X