510 questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 510 questions.

Well, Im 15, I've had my permit for about 2 months, and not to toot my own horn, but im a pretty damn good driver (i've been operating dirtbikes, snowmobiles, gokarts, and 4wheelers since the age of 7). I have a job that pays pretty well for working once a week, and have about 1500 bucks saved up. I was looking at the usual suspects (FC, 240, 86, etc.) when i picked up a "sport compact car" and read about a 510 with an SR20DET thrown in. now, the guy did have to relocate turbos and such, but taht got me thinking. An SR20DET fits in a 510. An SR20DET fits in a 240. An RB25DET fits in 240. Could an RB25DET fit in a 510????? If so, the possibilities are endless, and i could build possibly the best 510 in the world! or maybe not. Maybe it would be too heavy. Maybe a 13B would be better. Tell me what you think.

If you want a 510...buy one, do suspension, brakes, and other such necessities, and then drive it for at least a season.

I say at least a season because "until the motor croaks" is probably better but you probably won't want to wait around all that long. Anyway, if you want one buy one, and run it for a good while before you go swapping it.

No offense, but part of the learning curve is thinking you're getting the hang of it, and then realizing how much you have to learn lol. I think everyone does that.

Comment

well, tru about learning how much you need to learn. However, in comparison to my 18 year old sister, I am a better driver. anyways, i dont think the 510 shell comes with a motor, so thats why i was talking about dropping a new one in.

Comment

Dude, Parry's right. Learn how your can handles first. Take it out to Auto-X and find out what it does at the limit. Then make a few simple suspension upgrades. Maybe slap on some nice wheels and tires (lighter is better, and it will make the car handle better as well as stop and go faster). Tune it so it feels right when you are pushing the car hard.

Trust me, if you're thinking about an RB26, you'll NEED a car that can handle well. If you have stock 70's suspension, and power in the 400 to 500 range, you'll likely hurt your car, and yourself too. It will be very difficult to control that thing. I suggest taking it to Auto-X because it's all about handling, and you need to learn how the car handles at the limit before you can drift the thing. If you do get an RB in that thing, take it out to Auto-X again BEFORE you do anything else. I would rather clobber a ton of cones before clobbering a tree or a concrete wall.

You will have one hell of a weapon, but make sure it handles and that you can drive the thing before you put the power in it.

Comment

Power is the last thing a 16 year old kid needs. Your focus should be on learning how a car handles at and beyond the limit.

As far as being better than your sister, unless your sister autocrosses and goes to track days, I'm not sure that's a huge claim.

Again, I'm not knocking you. I've been exactly in your shoes. In my case I had to put a car in the woods at 90 mph before I figured maybe I wasn't so hot at driving.

Comment

thanx for the replies. all of these are great points that i am taking seriously, but im pretty sure the 510 shell doesnt come with a motor. I completely agree with autoxing and everything else said, but it seems pointless to buy the shell, drop in an SR20 or a 13B motor, then up the suspension, drive it like hell and learn the car, and then by another motor. so i guess ill just keep that in mind for later, but for the time being, ill just get a miata or something.

Comment

I miata is really overall a better choice.

I think you will have more luck as far as reliability goes with it, just due to age if nothing else. Plus there is a lot of aftermarket and it's just a great car to drive to begin with.

Comment

Listen to Parry

Comment

yeah, project cars aren't usually 100% reliable, and when you are a new driver, you should focus on how your car handles, and how to drive it, as opposed to how it's going to break next....

another vote for the miata.

Comment

Power is the last thing a 16 year old kid needs. Your focus should be on learning how a car handles at and beyond the limit.
                    I had a 450+ hp 3000gt when I was 17, against everyone elses judgment. I have no tickets or accidents and am doing just fine. But you have to respect the power. Because it will scare the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* out of you for a while. then when your used to it is when you will start to make stupid mistakes because you stopped paying attention. Always respect the vehicle.

on subject I owned a '68 510 with a built L16, Dual webbers, headers, peanut head, cams. The works! It was a hot little setup with the suspension done as well. I seriously thought about the sr swap, thought about it so mcuh that I bought everything I needed (engine fitment kit from australia, header....) and in the end I decided it wouldnt ever be what I wanted it to be. The 510's with the rear suspension geometry and relativily short wheel base are very prone to spinning and are hard to control on the edge. They are great cars and when setup for grip can make some quick times. But hang it out and it will fight you. I watched a guy at the local dday about a month ago with a really nice 510 all hooked up and all he did all day was donuts in the practice area and spin on the course. I couldnt control a drift at all. It is not all the car but it def. needs some suspension geometry changes before its going to be a drift car. oh yeah btw the L16 probably put out about 80hp and the car was quick and fun to drive and still very easy to get in trouble with, even a stock sr20 in my opinion is too much for the car. the ka swap is much cheaper and much better suited power wise for the old chassis, sorry to ramble on but there is a lot to think about when doing a swap like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X