blowout vavle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blowout vavle question

alrite ima noob here to drifting atleast to all the mechanical stuff about it. such as this the "blowout vavle" im curious to know
    1]how it works and how its placed
    2]how it enhances your cars performance
    3]if its worth buying [and where](or what you have to do to get it)
    4]if this is a stupid question 0(^.^)0

I think you mean "Blow-off Vavle. or BOV

1) It removes extra boost from the turbo when you let off the gas. It is placed somewhere after the intercooler on the piping. It makes a sweet sound too!

2) get rid of boost pressure ?idk?

3) I would get it, but your going to need turbo.

4) Where did you get Blowout Vavle?

Someone Please Feel Free To Correct Me!

Comment

1) Removes excess boost from turbo when you let off gas or switch gears to let it spool more boost. It is placed somewhere around the piping, pretty complicated to explain. Depending on the manufacturer, it varies between sound to sound.

2) It enhances your car by releasing excess boost faster, so you can be able to spool more boost. It's more of a showoffy item if you want to get a really loud one but it has a nice sound that gets you ANNOYed eventually.

3) Its definitely necessary only if you have a turbo, the prices vary between manufacturers, you should do your research before asking.

It's spelled Blow-Off Valve.

Comment

So how does releasing boost help the performance of the car, don't we want more boost all the time?

Comment

Auspex and X7, Do either of you have Turbo cars?????

www.howstuffworks.com

Search Turbo

OR

go to www.google.com a SEARCH BOV

Don't ask until after you SEARCH!

Comment

Hrm, After reading the Howstuffworks article and searching on google, I'm still not sure about the BOV, is it the same as a wastegate?

I don't have a turbocharged car, or really a car of my own at all. I'm just here for information. I plan on getting a supercharged miata though, so info on a BOV doesn't have much relavance to that. I'm just curious.

Comment

it enhances your car by not making it "blow" out the motor. is used on turbo cars (recomended). different BOV depends on the type of turbo and application.

Comment

Try here.

Good choice on the Miata

Comment

All a blow off valve does it vent pressure so it doesn't surge back into the turbo when the throttle butterfly valve closes. I personally like the sound of the surge going through the turbo but it is VERY bad for the turbo and less efficient. The only reason it does it when you shift is most people take their foot off the gas when they shift. This closes the butterfly valve then vacum pulls open the valve because there is no pressure from the turbo past the throttle body. If you shift without taking foot off the gas and do it quickly you will accelerate MUCH faster. how much depends on how much spooling time you cut out by not slowing down the turbo by letting it vent and how much pressure you don't lose. I would not recomend doing that with out a fast shift by the way. A lot of REAL powerful cars will have 2 BOV's in line or a true twin turbo like the Callaway vette or z32 requires 2. A lot of cars respond better when you put the BOV close to the throttle body but the SR DEFINATELY responds better with the BOV on the hot pipe. Intercooler piping before IC = hotpipe, after IC = coldpipe.

Unless you are running MASSIVE boost on a supercharger you don't really need a BOV because most superchargers have some form of pressure relief built in. The only supercharged car I have seen with a true blow off valve is a supercharged vette, but I have not, nor claim to have seen everything.
                  Last edited by LOVMUFN; 09-07-2004, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Wow, look what a SEARCH turned up...

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...&threadid=7810

Comment

Working...
                    X