PDA

View Full Version : Initial D ??

gundamzeta
12-07-2003, 01:40 PM
i'm I the only one that doesn't like this series?

i've been watching anime since about 1990, and I have to say that this is one of the worst animes that I have ever seen.

The story is weak, and the characters get on my nerves. The races are unrealistic and the music gives me a headache. I haven't watched it since I got 3 years, and I felt somehow robbed even though I got it for free!

Can someone please tell me what is so good about this series?

Some of the posters here list this movie as the main spark of interest for Touge racing and drifting, which seems quite odd to me. Maybe these people should watch Le mans, autobacs or F1, and see how real people race.

eh... I guess cartoons really are just for kids.

driftmunky
12-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by gundamzeta
Maybe these people should watch Le mans, autobacs or F1, and see how real people race.

Are you posting this as an attack to driftng?

I have interpreted your message wrong, but by my conclusions it seems that you believe that drifting was inspired by Initial D, if this is true, you are very wrong... Initial D was inpired by touge drifting in Japan, not the other way around...

But if thats not what you meant, jsut disregard that last paragraph.

And the only thing i like about Initial D is that its actually a show based on drifting, and for me, kinda fun to watch when i have nothing better to do....

Either way, please make what youre trying to say a little clearer so people wont misinterpret it.

karasac
12-07-2003, 02:15 PM
if u dont like it,then dont watch it, simple as that

there r a lot of episodes so i dont understand y u continued to watch it if u didnt like it

AJ-SPEC
12-07-2003, 02:16 PM
this isn't an informative thread. sounds like an attempt to start a flame war. why do you care what someone else watches with their free time? Please start crap somewhere else.

Tsunami
12-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Initial D is one of the best anime of all time, but it's still just a tv show. I mean how many of us here jumped our hotwheels off ramps back in the 80's pretending to be the Duke boys?

ACDSupra7
12-07-2003, 02:24 PM
INISHYARU DDD!!! KUUUUUU!!!

driftmunky
12-07-2003, 02:24 PM
sorry if it sounded like i was flaming, i just wasnt sure what he meant, and if he meant that statement i quoted as an attack to drifting, he needs to get off of drifting.com (seeing how its DRIFTING.com)

driftmunky
12-07-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by ACDSupra7
INISHYARU DDD!!! KUUUUUU!!!

Wheres my japanese/english dictionary when I need it....

s13/350z
12-07-2003, 03:06 PM
well since it was made to sell/market to an individual group(mostly) it was made to be entertaining. Just a CARTOON. Not real just for fun and good times. And the races are realistic(if your referring to outcome) just look at the D1 in USA. a little 180 hp corolla won first place. get off drifting.com if u dont like drifting if u do like drifting good for you but theres no need to be negative u could have just asked Why do people enjoy this show? Am i missing something i dont find it entertaining...was that so hard?Good Day:o

applesauce
12-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by s13/350z
And the races are realistic(if your referring to outcome) just look at the D1 in USA. a little 180 hp corolla won first place.

That's because the D1 is judged on style, and in Initial D they were actually racing. Not a fair comparison at all.

Nismo_r34
12-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Initial D is 100 times better than 2 fast 2 furious. This drift is bascially japanese style. The story is really good.

Bunta (takumi's father) he is excatly the same as Ueo. If you don't like it then I don't know what wrong with you.

ACDSupra7
12-07-2003, 04:38 PM
I doubt a stock Trueno could beat a tuned GT-R, FD, or FC down the hill. Unless the other driver really blew. But who knows, I've never seen a race like that IRL.

But Initial D is just an anime. I'll be the first to admit that I really enjoy it. While the drifting is a little unrealistic, the lifestyle is familiar.

Ghost of Duluth
12-07-2003, 04:51 PM
I don't think he attacked Drifting. He just stated that he didn't find the cartoon good. Cool. I don't care if you didn't like it. I do and love to watch it because it's so...so....Japanese. It's fun to watch and fun to watch and hell, just fun to watch.
I don't know about the unrealistic outcome of the race. I don't remember anyone ever stating in the cartoon what was done to the 86 before he blew the motor. But by his father being a supposed "Champion" drifter from the area back in the day, I can hardly think it was stock. Doesn't anyone remember him changing settings on the car before some of the races? So maybe it could beat an FC, FD or whatever down the hill. who knows.

It's a cartoon. it's not the bible. But it's a cartoon that is based on Drifting, with Drifting tips and has a good story. I also have been watching Anime since about the same time and I have to say that while the artwork in the first episodes is a little basic, the later stuff isn't bad at all. It's not up to Ghost in the Shell quality but good stuff none the less.

So watch it if you want to. I know you are just stating an opinion but F1 and Lemans? Sorry but those have nothing to do with Drifting. The cartoon is about un-sanctioned mountain running not mega money sanctioned racing. 2 TOTALLY different things. Like Hookers and Priests. Only thing they got in common is that they both have sex. Bout as much in common as Drfting and F1.

:)

monkeymagic
12-07-2003, 05:36 PM
I doubt a stock Trueno could beat a tuned GT-R, FD, or FC down the hill. Unless the other driver really blew. But who knows, I've never seen a race like that IRL.

But Initial D is just an anime. I'll be the first to admit that I really enjoy it. While the drifting is a little unrealistic, the lifestyle is familiar. the trueno was highly tuned by bunta:D sorry just letting u know that not to flame anyone

Feint
12-07-2003, 06:45 PM

But Initial D is just an anime. I'll be the first to admit that I really enjoy it. While the drifting is a little unrealistic, the lifestyle is familiar.

Tsuchiya brought this up in a Best Motoring DVD saying it was possible.Tsuchiya is the master mind behind all of the races in ID,so I don;t know if you can consider that valid,since he seems to make references to his position with ID *cough Drift Bible*.

Akira714
12-07-2003, 08:09 PM
1.) What version of Initial D are you watching? The English dub version is horrible with so many changes.

2.) There is a Best Motoring video with an R34 and an 86 going downhill on the touge, the 86 won.

driftmunky
12-07-2003, 08:09 PM
i didnt know that the Dorikin had anything to do with ID..... hmph... you learn something new everyday.... (wonder if hes basing it on his own experiences back in the day....)

JunpoweR
12-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Well I say Initial D rocks!!:D

I say Its a Great Animie For any novice or someone wanting to get into drifting..WHY??Well It Talks about basic skills and mistakes that people can make in driving\Drifting..Look at his Friend,Itsuki..Yes He is hella Annoying!! But it makes the Series Funny..HAr HAR lol..Don't buy a HATCHI GO!! lolz..
I personaly own a fc and a fb..RX7 fc = 2nd gen and fb = 1st gen to you noobies..:D

Well Anyways Im gonna go play counterstrike..

lancer Evo V
12-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Pshh, Initial D is good and all but it just seems to put this thought that an 86 has super magical powers so it can beat R34's, and yes the Drift KIng did beat an R34 but look at his name Drift KING.
Just my.02

AJ-SPEC
12-08-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by lancer Evo V
Pshh, Initial D is good and all but it just seems to put this thought that an 86 has super magical powers so it can beat R34's, and yes the Drift KIng did beat an R34 but look at his name Drift KING.
Just my.02

I can see that, because Takumi always seems to win against impossible odds, and against much higher horsepower cars. but it's a story, animation, of course it's not going to be 100% realistic. It just shows how much more driver skill is than what you're driving. for example, Dec. 6, I got to pound the hell out of an S4, in my nearly stock 240. his car is way faster than mine, better in every category, but I could drive better.

ACDSupra7
12-08-2003, 11:12 AM
And plus, if Takumi LOST his races, would the series make any sense?

gundamzeta
12-08-2003, 02:51 PM
No no no no, this wasn't an attack on drifting.

I meant to write, "many posters list intial D are THEIR spark of interest for drifting"

I looking at the series from a Anime fan's perspective, and I just don't like it. It's main flaws, IMO, lie in its story and characters.

I watch the entire series (1-2) and the movies in a 3 day sitting. All my friends really liked it, and I just wanted to give it a chance by watching it in its entirety.

One day I raced my friend out in the nearby forest road, and he started imitating everything he saw in intial D without realizing that drifting is asthetic technique with argurable technical benifits (I.e better car control, enhanced control at the limits). Because of his antics, I nearly hit his car! A month later, his FC, which I admired greatly, crashed into a freeway wall!

Sure my friend is a dumbass, and the accidents were not strictly the cause of his Intial D fantaticism. However, I think a show like intial D lends itself to idiots. If my friend hadn't had seen this show he would probably still have an FC.

silviaguy
12-08-2003, 03:25 PM
driftmunky where you watching the tokyo pop ver. of Intial D? I watched the japanesse ver. 1st and love it from the start. I just rented the tokyo pop ver. from blockbuster and I couldn't even watch the 1st chapter of it. I had to turn it off. The Tokyo Pop ver. Suck if you ask me.

AllMotorKing
12-08-2003, 03:46 PM
good to see that tokyopop is still pissing off people.

if you want a realistic cartoon watch something like gundam. my giant robot acts exactly like the one on the show. ha!

There is a difference between entertainment and real life scenarios. you wanna drift like a champ, go to drift day and learn. that's step one.

J-BloodAE86
12-08-2003, 04:36 PM

haha, good point

Space Boy
12-08-2003, 04:47 PM
Why are you hating on Initial D? We should be happy that there's a cartoon that identifies drifting.

1. It's a way to reach out to the next generation of Drifters.

2. It's a great review of the basics of drifting.

3. It examines differences between cars and techniques.

Sure, all of us know most of that stuff, but sometimes we need to be reminded.

Akira714
12-08-2003, 04:50 PM
His engine blew when racing an evo in 2nd stage

AJ-SPEC
12-08-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Akira714
His engine blew when racing an evo in 2nd stage

WHA...?! DAMN MAN, C'MON!!

j/k, got the whole series, japanese version :D

Feint
12-08-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Space Boy
Why are you hating on Initial D? We should be happy that there's a cartoon that identifies drifting.

1. It's a way to reach out to the next generation of Drifters.

2. It's a great review of the basics of drifting.

3. It examines differences between cars and techniques.

Sure, all of us know most of that stuff, but sometimes we need to be reminded.

It's centered around touge racing,not drifting.Anyone notice how similiar Takumi is to Tsuchiya.

Silvia San
12-08-2003, 06:15 PM
I find Initial D very entertaining. It is great that there is an anime centered around drifting. Itsuki is funny as all hell!

gundamzeta
12-09-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by AllMotorKing

if you want a realistic cartoon watch something like gundam. my giant robot acts exactly like the one on the show. ha!

gundam, especailly Zeta and the orginal, had a great story that was deep and inteligent.

Intial D is no better than Fast and the furious, but it's Japanese, so eveyone respects it for some reason.

I still don't see how someone who drifts through all the corners can beat his opponents who are all competent grip racers.

Ghost of Duluth
12-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Let's look at something. Everyone bags on Fast and Furious. Yes it was un-realistic in the mechanical aspect of it but it really wasn't THAT bad of a movie if you can get over those parts. I liked it when it came out. The second one, well that was a craphole movie. but the first one wasn't bad. Especially after I figured out that the race was a mile and not a 1/4 mile. Made more sense after that. So you have to look at ID the same way. It's freaking entertainment not the Drift bible. I have to disagree with you as do a whole lot of folks in Japan. If it's such a crappy cartoon then why was it one of, if not the highest rated anime over there? Something must be cool. Someone must like it. Don't know if you are just talking to talk or a purist anime'r or just don't know what you are talking about. But how could you like drifting and NOT like the one cartoon or show devoted to it? Boggles my mind.

But we all are entitled to our opinions. If you don't like it then you don't, plain and simple. But I do and I think everryone else on here does to with the exception of a few. So bashing it kinda makes people mad.