i dont get it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i dont get it...

Hey... this will be kind of a stupid question to ask. It's really hard to explain how cars just drive straigth and in a blink of an eye they are sideways... like its so fast they just do it... acctually 90 degree... ???? Do they drive then turn and pop the clutch...???

Buy the Drift Bible dvd. Sigh..........

Comment

i guess its just something that happens when you get that good. like typing, at first your like "wtf, how do they type soo fast" then after a year with aim/msn/yahoo your typing like the wind blows.

Comment

*sarcastically claps*

Great analogy.

Comment

I might not slide as fast but i can type fast

Watch the drift bible though... Theres quite a few ways to get sideways.

Comment

wow, like it hasnt been said before heh

Comment

*sarcastically claps*
              HAH! u have a better one?

Comment

Originally posted by DriftinCressida
                wow, like it hasnt been said before heh
                I wanted to make an emphasis on it.
                what about first learning to ride a bike as an analogy...? at first, with training wheels you look at the big kids like wtf, how do they do that? then after alot of practice and alot of falling down, you can eventually ride around without having to think about it.

whats with your title... not posting anymore eh?

Comment

Your technique just gets faster. You get to the point where you can basically twitch the wheel just right and flip the car sideways, kind of like a micro feint. I've done this a little bit with my Subbie with some success, more like a wheel twitch and a quick stab on the brakes. If done right, you can pretty much instantly get the car sideways. What's more interesting, if you're paying attention, you can actually feel the weight rotate around just as if you were doing a more sweeping feint and braking drift, same techniques, just much faster.

There's limits with the car though, tire grip, suspension stiffness, etc... A very stiff car with very grippy tires can forcefully move a lot of weight around very fast. A softer car requres more time to roll the body back and forth to snap the rear out. As well, lower grip tires limit the speed at which you can flick the car. Most of what you see are race level cars setup very stiff and with very good tires. You'll never see an old Buick do it(I've tried lol) My first car was an '89 Lesabre, a boat of a car with a very soft ride. On asplalt, it wasn't possible to do what I mentioned above. You just couldn't move the weight fast enough. That coupled with the massive understeer and bloated weight, it wasn't ideal for such maneuvers. Gravel was easier, but still, the feints were very much sweeping and rotation was slow. You couldn't get the thing to move fast if you tried.

Fast, nearly instant drifts require a few key aspects: stiff suspension, grippy tires, and a low car mass(primarily low inertial mass). A car that has all of these qualities would be considered a very nimble car and could initiate drifts in a blink of the eye, as you said.

Comment

I think Bart had mentioned in a previous post that he didnt drive so ill try to use another analogy......... Have you ever been on your bike in the mud? You can probally learn alot of drift techniques just by using it over mud. 1 technique is power over. Its almost like when you apply alot of pressure to the wheels while turning and you begin to slide out. Try to pedal through mud and make a turn simutaneously, its very difficult to control on a bike cause it has little balance since has only 2 wheels, on a car with 4 wheels it can do it and make it seem better but that doesnt mean its easier. If you got no mud around ur house and you would like to experience this, get some duct tape and put it on the back tire. Its so fun!

Comment

Sounds kinda dangerous...Already tried it, and wasn't too happy with the results. Actually I was riding my bike around whilst the sprinlers were going, and while this was fun, I anihilated myself. Maybe if you golf you should get a tee time and cart, then when you like on hole 5-6 or 14-15 try to find some freshly watered areas and do uber drifts. Just an Idea that i plan on trying when I have a car to take me to the course.

Comment

You can really only do that at high entry speeds i think.

Comment

Working...
                        X