Who here thinks the MR2 is a pro's drift car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here thinks the MR2 is a pro's drift car

Everyone who here has driven a (90-99) MR2 knows very well that the car oversteers like a $%@. My point exactly! So in that case it is very hard to control the car bc it's very unpredictable unless I mean you know what you are doing and not supposely know what you are doing (newbies). So my point is I think the MR2 is for skilled drifters? Anyone else got any comments.l

I would like to see more MR2's out there drifting... I know its a hard car to drift but it's style and performance is incredible! MR layout .. turbo.. small and lightweight..come one.. ingridents for a drift machine.

Comment

i'm working on a 89 turo mr2. I'd love to drift it but i here it takes alot of skill... which i don't have

Comment

saving up for one right now, hopefully I can get one in about 3 years

Comment

It's not hard to drift at all. If anything, I get so much more road feel in that car than any other I've driven... therefore making it easier to drift. But then again, my wheel/tire setup was unorthodox to common SW20 setups. I was running a non-staggered setup.

Comment

Look around dude, we already have lots of posts about this

Comment

Joe Vick from Vick racing is campaigning one.

Comment

im gonna agree wiht the dude above. they arent hard to drift they are just different. you have to be alot quicker than in other cars but its not all that difficult. Ive been sideways in a friends MR many times. That car is a joy to drive.

Comment

Every car is diffrent. If you stuck a pro in a new car that hes never driven before hes not going to do that good right away. He might even spin out a few times trying to find out the cars limits and what not. Like if you have some guy whos really good w/ a 240 and stick him in a FD ill be you that he'll spin the car a few times.

Comment

Different is the right word. I've tried in an MR2 before and it's different from my s13. You have to get a very good sense of the grip of the back tires. It's got such a low moment of inertia that it makes it harder to drift. You must be very quick with the steering because it comes around on you much faster than a FR car. With enough practice it'd be fun but, you'll spin it alot(doesn't take much). Suspension tuning can take out some amount of oversteer and also running large front tires will help. They are very fun cars.

Comment

I think so too. It is the funnest to drive compare to other cars that I have driven. Sure it doesnt have that turbo kick like the lancer but hey the lancer's awd distrubition is 60 front and 40 rear so it is more of a grip driving then the STI (30 front 70 rear). MR layout is much harder to control I think compare to FR and RR. (I never driven a RR before. Never drove a car that had one...lets say Porche for example). The car that I think has the best MR layout that I have seen in person and read about a lot and is a big FAN of is the LOTUS ESPRIT. The best MR ever built...NSX can suck its twin turbo balls.

Comment

Originally posted by mr2
                        I think so too. It is the funnest to drive compare to other cars that I have driven. Sure it doesnt have that turbo kick like the lancer but hey the lancer's awd distrubition is 60 front and 40 rear so it is more of a grip driving then the STI (30 front 70 rear). MR layout is much harder to control I think compare to FR and RR. (I never driven a RR before. Never drove a car that had one...lets say Porche for example). The car that I think has the best MR layout that I have seen in person and read about a lot and is a big FAN of is the LOTUS ESPRIT. The best MR ever built...NSX can suck its twin turbo balls.
                        damn... they made twin-turbo NSX's where you live?

MR is not much harder to control. That's too general a statement. How difficult a car to control is usually relative to the driver driving the car.

Also, I never found the rear of the SW20 to come out that quickly. Like I said above, you can really "feel" the car well, and it's very responsive to throttle /brake position as well as minute steering inputs.

It's not a car to toss around and catch the car sideways and hang onto the drift. It's more a finesse car... You head into a corner and lift gently or even touch the brake to initiate a drift and balance with your controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Infini IV
                          damn... they made twin-turbo NSX's where you live?

attn noob: the espirit is a twin-turbo midengined supercar. if you knew that his statement woudl have made sense. even if you didnt know that but knew how punctuation worked, it should have made sense.

get a clue before you flame people.

Comment

Yeah that is right.. talk about a certain only if you really KNOW about it. think abut a 350hp @ 6500 rpms 295lbs of torques at 4200rpms.. compare that to the NSX 290hp @ 7100RPM 224ft-lbs @ 5500RPM. the handling of these car is acceptional but the to my preference Lotus has a better suspension then a NSX. It is much stiffer and doesnt have all those technological sfuff like the nsx. example : lsd, tcs (total traction control). Its all skills baby! like a car should be especially an exotic. NSX is to easy to drive.. i driven one before at the dealer.. its good but it isnt fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Raziel
                              Every car is diffrent. If you stuck a pro in a new car that hes never driven before hes not going to do that good right away. He might even spin out a few times trying to find out the cars limits and what not. Like if you have some guy whos really good w/ a 240 and stick him in a FD ill be you that he'll spin the car a few times.
                              which is what Ross Petty did this year switched from driving SR Silvias to an FD, spun out in sonoma...no ebrake and no third gear...but by Irwindale he was on it, qualified 4th. The cars' got totally different powerbands.

Comment

Working...
                              X