Tips for my stock S14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for my stock S14

Hey guys, looks like many of you have a pretty nice setup for drifting and I was wondering how many here can give me pointers on drifting my stock S14 with KA24de.

I find it very difficult to control mid speed drifts (ie 3rd gear) on this sucker....I usually find myself initiating the drift using the Ebrake but not having enough power to spin the rears to control the drift. What usually happens is the tires regain grip mid drift snapping the car back in line.

Get my drift (ya sry kinda corny)?

Neways...any help is appreciated

Learn other techniques for initiation.

Handbrake initiation is a bit rough. Learn to do braking initiated drifting.

If you are coming into a corner in 3rd gear, braking initiation is super easy. Simply stepping on the brakes while entering the corner will get the car sliding.

As for being able to continue it, well, that's when power is needed, which is tough for a stock KA. Even with my KA+T, I have to fight to maintain staying in 3rd gear in a 3rd gear drift.

Your only other option is higher entry speed.

Comment

yeah, i have that same powertrain, and i can drift at 80+ when i want to.....you just need to find a way to start thedrifts that work for you. i usually clutch kick or if im going fast enough, brake drift (not using the e-brake, but the foot brake). just experiment and see what works best for you

Comment

Im comfortable with brake trailing but on some sections of my home course this is not hte best option...ideally it would be a power over turn but in my case I can't. With the brake trail I end up loosing too much speed to make it through the whole corner.

anyways...I keep trying...thanks for the help

Comment

i have the same problem in my S14 with a stock ka.... i can break the back end out... but i dont have enough power to keep the wheels spinning...

i got some QT qualifyers tires... cheap and crappy... but i can kick the back end out alittle easier. (i think the tires dont have that much tred.... so their isnt as much to spin) but its still hard to hold it... their isnt enough power to keep them spinning... and like special.... it snaps back hard.....

its like having just enough power... but yet not enough....

Comment

to you have L.S.D.?That be the problem..just a thought. Sometimes im not hard enough on my s14..and when I let loose i do beter.If you are using ebrake and its not working thry a combo of that and clutch kick,then power through.hope that helps

Comment

Ya got the stock VLSD...I got some plans for next season....but a bit of a dilema. I can only afford one fo these things to stay competitive next year:

1) Nice coilovers, 2 way LSD

OR

2) SR20 S14 Blacktop

Which one? I think the LSD will help tonnes allowing me to buy some time till I can afford more power. I just want to stay competitive

Comment

ya i got VLSD in mine too... but im white.... lol white people cant drift... its a known fact lol naa im just messing... i would go with the SR20, you whould have more power, and wouldnt have to worry about keeping the back loose...

for one thing i know my clutch is weak, so when i clutch kick, the clutch will spin about 25% of the power.... im sure coil overs and suspension work would help out alot. either way your gonna want both, engine and suspension work.... just need to deside witch you want first.

Comment

My clutch is gone too....I need lots and lots of $$$. For next season I definitly need:

1) clutch

I want

2) Suspension
                  3) LSD

I would prefer

1) Clutch
                  2) Suspension
                  3) LSD
                  4) Blacktop SR

Comment

yeah, but you dont need the sr20 or any f it except the suspension. i have a bunch of suspension and all i have on my ka24de is an intake.....and i have no problems and its evenn open diff....but i think the RPS-13 is a little lighter than the s14, so i think that helps..... but you should definatly use a good clutch. i kinda broke my clutch plate while clutch kicking one day....not too fun. so i say go for the suspensionn and a new clutch!

Comment

Yup if you dont have enough power, changing your tires will make all the difference. A smaller contact patch will make the tires spin easier, thus you need less power to spin them. You can try to use tires with smaller widths, or up the psi to make them buldge. This is what I did with my stock 89 Camaro when I felt underpowered.(had the junk motor). Bust just remember that changing your tires affects drifting at all speeds, so when trying new tires (either harder compound or smaller contact patch) always start slow and get used to them. As for the choice between LSD or Motor (SR20), I say go with LSD. You dont need alot of power to drift. Some people make the mistake of wanting too much power too early on in their drifting adventures actually making it harder to drift since throttle control becomes much more important. Believe me when I say the stock KA is more than enough to drift, we have alot of guys here in Hawaii with KA's and they drift great. Swapping the motor would be one of the last upgrades on my list, but it all depends on how good you are.

Comment

I agree....I want to start from the ground up....if I could I would get an 86 to learn the basics since the platform is ideal. As for tires I'm damn broke so I cant afford to get another set of rims (I eventually will have to) but my stock seem to do fine with used tires.

My suspension now consists of Koni yellows and springs, it wasnt my first choice but I do with what I have. My stock blew and I didnt have enough to get coilovers.

IMO I think the biggest perforance gain I have is the LSD over the motor.....so u think its a wise choice in my situation? Even over a nice set of coilovers?

Comment

suspension and LSD. first two things i would do!

Comment

youre doing better than me having a vlsd, at least youre not on open diff. i spin easily but half the time its only one wheel. your suspension sounds similar to mine (AGX + H&R, tensions rods), but you got the konis....riding with my *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* all the way up helps to overcome my unLimited Slip Differential most of the time, i actually lay down 2 strips of rubber usually

its hard to say man. you already got a little suspension and a stock diff, so getting an sr wouldnt be a bad call really. i would personally get coilovers and the 2 way diff. for a clutch i recommend a southland twin friction clutch, they dropped mine off for a VERY good price (they usually sell for like 280). its the best clutch out there for KA in a street clutch, 385lb/ft holding capacity. and theyre right here in san diego (not that useful for you though i guess). http://www.southlandclutch.com is their wbpge i think

do a home depot spin turn button to get better with your ebraking. come in hot, start as a brake drift, and kic the clutch simultaneously with your ebrake yank (The clutch should be in whenever the handbrake is up). you shuld also be getting on handbrake and clutch the moment you let off your brakes
                            Last edited by PearlWhiteMike; 12-13-2003, 01:01 AM.

Comment

yeah...i have never tried to ebrake my car cause i got so used to having to control my drifts in my mom old datsun, that now i just use the clutch and throttle to drift...usually lol

i have an open diff and i can almost always put down two tire marks. in all my really sweet clutch kick drift spots, i ca find always two side-by-side skids for all of my drifts. i really want a 1.5 way lsd though....kaaz or cusco. anyone where to get one for cheap?

Comment

Working...
                              X