VG30, RB26, or SR20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VG30, RB26, or SR20

Well... most of you know I drive a 300z, but what you don't know is... my engine has just about rolled over the hill... 200K miles. So I'm thinking about investing in a new/slightly used engine. But I'm not sure what to pick. I'm used to the VG30DE so a TT's engine would swap in pretty painlessly for the most part and add some more horsepower. On the other hand, an SR20DET would be lighter and fun to put in. Or, spend a bit mroe money and get a RaceBreed. I know VG's like that back of my hand, but I'm always looking for something new to toy with. What do you guys suggest I go with??

i wouldnt think that the sr20 would be sweet! but one problem......big car....little engine not alot of tourqe to get ya going

but its up to you your car man

Comment

I've seen and sr20 move a 350z pretty quick. I think it was on the cover of Superstreet about a month ago... Maybe not superstreet but one of those car magzines.

Comment

RB26? where are you gonna get one of those?

Comment

The engnies would come from my girlfriends mom. She works at a shipping yard here in Southern GA. She told me there is a guy that gets a shipment of all sorts nissan engines and parts monthly. Anything Nissan he could get me, including an RB26. Thats all word of mouth though, I havent met the dude. But there are places on the net that will import them too.

For example, these guys sell them too... J-Spec Auto Sports

Comment

Well, if you own a Z series car, then swapping ANY RB series engine might be tricky... The VG series are V6's, and the RB's are inline, and this means that the engine bay must be longer and narrower in the Skyline than in a Z. I would go for a VG30DETT.

Comment

just get a ka24de from an altima to drive the front wheels and another ka from a 240 to drive the rear. There's enough room.

no, seriously though, i'd say just rock the vg. Reason being, i've got video of a vg makin 811rwhp. That's plenty, so the rb won't gain you much.

the sr would be cool, IF, you could substantially lighten the car and i'd hope you have a 2 and not a 2+2.

maybe two sr20s...?

anyways, yeah, my bassist has a 90' 300 tt and i'll be the first to say that the vgtt is a beaut. It had a cat back stillen on it and an hks filter when he got it, and that was all, and it would freaking snap necks. He just got two t28's imported off an r32, some nice ngk sparkies and should be getting some sort of downpipes and boostcontroller soon. All of that, which is relatively unsubstantial will leave him sitting in condition to rape anything he wants around here. possibly even a few of the sti's, with enough stick at the back end.

Comment

I say SR20. I got a few pics of z32s using sr20s. besides those motors are not hard to get up to 400 hp. Ill post a few pics later

Comment

z32 with SR. I think something like this would open up a whole new world for you and your car. a lighter car, a V-mount intercooler, ect. I just have one question. What would you do for a transmission with the SR20? the reg trany that comes with the motor wont swap in will it?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DriftingNewbie; 10-01-2004, 11:04 AM.

Comment

If you know the VG stick with the VG. Unless you want to learn a new motor and have fun with trying to put it in.

Comment

Get the Vg and be done with it. get a B16A and be a badass! yeah!

Comment

I would stick with the VG30. An SR20 or RB26 would be cool but illegal.

Comment

I say put a VG30DETT in it. It would be hard to put a rb in there cause VG30DETT is a tight fit as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by 300zxttfreak
                            I say put a VG30DETT in it. It would be hard to put a rb in there cause VG30DETT is a tight fit as it is.
                            Hahaha, I love how you say that and yet your sig says "If it don't fit, get a sledge hammer."

Size at the moment doesn't really mater. Body/frame work can always be done. That would require a lot more money, but still be a lot more fun as well!

I'm not sure how long the sr20 or the rb26 trannys are, but that would be the first thing I'd look at to fit the engine in right. Gotta make sure the stick is going in the right hole! Then if needed, fabricate a drive shaft.

I'd love a 6 spd, and rb26s normally come with those, I think. Then again I've been trying to find out if a 350's tranny would ride a 300's engine. I doubt it, but then again I can always swich the gear cases, and mount the 350's gears with a 300's bell housing... Possibly... I dunno.

Back to the engines. VG30DETT would be a painless install, but wouldn't be as much fun to install. An SR20DET would fit, they are small compared to the VG, but has less torque then the VG... about 85 ft/lbs, but they can accelerate quicker with a couple modifications. The RB26DETT doesn't have as much power or displacement at first glance, but I dont plan on making a 3 million horse power beast. Plus the RB has an AWD tranny. That could be bad or good. Bad being how am I going to set up AWD in my car, and good being... well come on, and AWD 300zx, thats cool. WRX here I come!!

*sigh*

So many plans so little money.

Anymore thoughts on what I should do?

Comment

S2000 engines seem to be catching on.

Comment

Working...
                              X