What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

I want to know what they used to cover the dash in this car. I think it looks good, like suede. it's on the autolink car. http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...&threadid=4730
    Attached Files
    Last edited by s14driftingTX; 10-02-2004, 02:18 PM.

EDIT - it is flocked - a process where the glue is negativly charged and the particles are positivly charged. When the particles are applied to the glue, they stand up, and are shaved to produce a velvet like texture.
    Last edited by LexmarkX73; 10-02-2004, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Yeah I've heard about that too^ but I forgot where... so this is a useless post

Comment

it was produced to keep glare down in the car.....

look at the ferrari F40.....and other race cars.....

its a awsome idea....though a maroon interior and a black suede dash would

Comment

It's Suede.

Comment

I thought there was another name for it... maybe not.

Comment

is it alcantara?

Comment

Originally posted by LexmarkX73
                EDIT - it is flocked - a process where the glue is negativly charged and the particles are positivly charged. When the particles are applied to the glue, they stand up, and are shaved to produce a velvet like texture.
                That's some funky editing skilles there Lexmark

Parry, somehow I suspect you made that word up to trick me. Anyways, if not, no that's not it.
                Last edited by 14yrolddrifter; 10-02-2004, 11:33 PM.

Comment

The guys racing here in Europe (WRC, touring cars also) used to have flocked dashboards. Not only does it look good; it doesn't let the sun make a mirror of your dashboard on the windscreen, thus making the visibility better.

Comment

Why don't we just ask andy himself.

Comment

I pretty sure perry is right. Not to say its not flocked, but i have never heard of that. I think it is alcantara, and it does resemble this mk3 GTIs interior (which is alcantara).
                      Attached Files

Comment

It can be alcantara, but in the motorsports suede is the material that covers all of the dashboards.

Comment

Ah so it is suede. Probably why i don't know what alcantara is. Looks like suede too.

Comment

The dash covering is actually Flocking, As that the vehicle was originally going to be built for Time Attack we applied Flocking to the dash to reduce dash and windshield glare. The process costs around $350.00 but the hard part is, the dash must be taken out to correctly apply it.

Comment

Working...
                            X