Getting z31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting z31

Hey everyone. im new to the whole drift scene and i want to know if i can meet up with some experianced drivers in so cal and get a little help.

Im getting a z31 within the next couple weeks and i have a 240z at the moment.

im also looking to this r33 front bumper for the z31. i think it looks badass and yeah thats about it. cant seem to find it.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...192_3_full.jpg

i live in the san fernando valley! alright. peace. -Joe

That bumper unfortunatly is customized...
    and Z31's are a little heavy too drift.

Drifting wise... 300ZX's and 240Z's are fun to drift ( i have an 280Z ) BUT the 240'z have wheels soo close to the seats.. the balance is a bit off.

The Z31's are just hard to get sideways and hold it.. but
    HAVE FUN

Comment

yeah thats what i have heard. they are heavy. i am settin my 240z up for drifting while i drive the z31. im thinking of buying the r33 bumper for a 240zx or something and fabricating it to fit the z31.

Comment

yes...balance is goofy in z's because of that body shape, or so i think. and they are very hard to keep straight after a drift, very squirly. but definatly have plenty of power (L28 in the 280zx!)!

Comment

yeah im throwin a l18et into my z... baby is gunna fly like no other.

Comment

I say if you are interested in drifting, forget about bodykits and focus on the parts that actually affect drifting like the suspension and LSD. Those are the parts you should be researching to see which ones fit your needs the best. Another idea is to find any web based messageboard communities dedicated to your car. Any mods other owners have done to make their car grip roadrace better will also apply to your car. The only difference between grip and drift from the equipment standpoint of your car is a different alignment setting and a different set of tires. I think that will make you better at drifting than worrying about what kind of bodykit you want to use.

Comment

yes i totaly agree with u crazyhawaiian, but im also getting into body stuff because my 240z was wrecked and i need to fix it. i was just kinda thinking ahead. i knew someone would bring that up. lol.

i know the z31 has 170whp stock and im just curious if that just fine for a beginer drifter. i know power is said to be the last thing to think about. but is there a level of power that you should be above? thanks - Joe

Comment

I'd say it depends on the weight of the car and the techniques you use. But its really up to you as the driver. If you feel that you are underpowered, and you dont want to spend the $$ to make more power (totally understandable), then change your contact patch with the ground. Run smaller width tires at a higher psi to create a smaller contact patch with the ground. This will require less power to spin the wheels. This is what I did with my 89 Camaro when I felt it was underpowered. But just keep in mind that running a smaller contact patch will make the car slide easier so take it easy and get used to the new tires before going balls out. One tip I can give you is to forget about HP. Torque is what spins wheels. HP is always a good figure to know, but going for a flat torque curve will make throttle control much easier while drifting. This in turns makes drifting easier. Keep this in mind when choosing your cam(s).

Comment

l18et into my z... baby is gunna fly like no other
                  Huh? You talking about an L28eT? Because there is no L18eT, unless your gonna turbocharge an L4 engine from an 510 or something.

L28e's do have some kick.. 180HP (engine hp)
                  and the L28eT's have even more kick.. only found in 1981-1983 ZX's S31 chassis with a T3 turbo. Best bet is to replcae the turbo and put in an intercooler, since they didnt come intercooled.

The Z31's have the VG30eT.. V6 engine... single turbo... they fast

Comment

according to my mom (the one who owns the 280zx in my garage) when she bought it new there wasnt a turbo with a manual available on the L28 280zx's.......that wouldnt be good if you were swapping engine and tranny cause then you dont have half the control a manual does....so i would say just find a turbo kit for it and put in the n/a L28e when you do the swap....

Comment

sorry l28et (typo!!!) anywho. i am pretty sure there is a manual tranny in the 81 - 83 z's. thanks for all of the help u guys!!!! - Jo. anyone in socal that i can talk to or meet up with about drifting?

Comment

TRUE... they did come in automatic's except in 1982 and 1983.

However, any manual transmission can be bolted on in 3 hours of work. Or at least in these old cars... soo simple and easy rather than these newer cars.

Comment

Working...
                        X