Miata or 240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miata or 240

Hey everyone!!! Havent been on in a long long time due to school and work. For the new people that have joined I just want to say welcome, and to the people that still remember me I just want to say "I'M BACK".
    Well for those of you that kinda know me you probably remember me always talking about my lil miata. And you might also remember how I always wanted a 240. Now I havent mastered drifting and I dont even come close at all, but thanks to my lil one I have gotten better at it.
    But to tell you the truth guys I have always wanted a 240. I dont know why but I always have wanted one to drift in. I just put my car on for sale on auto trader like 20 min ago and it will be posted up the 21 of this month for those of you that want to see it.
    Anyway, well after putting it in auto trader I come here just to see wants going on and I see that a large group of you are talking about miata this and miata that? Now am I missing something here?? When I first got my miata for drifting it was real hard to find stuff for it let alone drift in it. So now I sit here and think what should I do, should I stay with my lil one or sell it and get the 240??? I know it sounds like a noob question but Im not a noob I just really need someones advise.
    One of the big reasons I dont like my miata is because I feels too big for it. I'm 6ft and I feel like a giant in my car so please someone give me guidensse.

Well, it depends what kind of drifting do you like. Miata, which obviously has really short wheel base (89'' if I remember good) what makes drifting rather sharp (it has a tendency to go back to the "correct" driving line), handles great, has good response-to-the-steering-wheel time and good overall balance (perfect 50/50 between the axles). The 240 has longer wheelbase, what makes the car harder (takes longer time) to initiate the drift, but makes the whole slide more stable. It also has more power, but when you put a bolt-on turbo to a Miata BP engine it can display similar horsepower numbers. The Miata also could have smaller power losses in the drivetrain, as it has a shorter driveshaft. I would take a Miata, as it's quite a challenging car with great fun-for-the-money factor. You would also be different from all those guys drifting SR-powered S13's (no offence JDM freaks ).

Comment

I used to own a S13 a few years back. Lots of fun. But I'm also like to stand out a bit from the crowd.

As mentioned, the Miata would be a bit difficult to drift. But it would also help you look different out there,...in a sea full of 240s.

I am currently working on building a FC.

Comment

There's a guy on here that one a drift competition in his turbo miata. I think the short wheelbase just makes you use more finesse.

Oh an my old man is 6'2" and he fits with the top up. You ought to be fine.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, I really mean it. It seems that being busy with school and work that I just havent had time to look up for stuff for my lil one. I do see that in the year that I have been gone that miata's have come up. As for the drifting, miatas drift really well and I love the way that it handles. And I have driven my firends S13 and it seems that (I dont know maybe its just me) I cant hold the drift as long as I would like to. In my friends 240 I had no problem because it had a heavier rear end, but with my miata it seemed that it would correct itself like 1 sec into the drift.
          Maybe I just need to practice more but thanks again guys and keep putting in your two cents, that would really help!

Comment

I personaly like the miata better.. for the reasons mentioned above. they make decent little drift cars and awesome track cars, giving you more options. Also youll stand out in the sea of 240s which now crowd the scene here. some originality can go a long way.

Basicly take which you prefer. Are you willing to learn to be better in your miata, or would you be more comfortable trying to push a 240 to its limits. keep in mind what you want to do with the car, and what you want from the car in all aspects then weigh the options accordingly

Comment

In the pictures and sounds area theres two movies of miatas that may make you change your mind. Sorry no time for link. Just go there and search for Miata and you'll find them. Sorry if you're on 56k but well worth it!!

Comment

I'd perfer the Miata for the simple reason that well respected American companies make parts for them. I will not be suprised if Racing Beat released Drift-Spec parts for its Miatas and RX-7s. Also, since you don't have to pay customs, American parts are usually cheaper.

Comment

I also have a miata, but I am going to sell it and buy an s13...Why?

Well the Miata is a great car, but here in the Nederlands it is way to expensive to prepare this car for drifting...

To give you an idea:

- Turbo $12000,-
                  or
                  - JR supercharger $5000,-

And then I still need to spend quite a lot of money on:

- LSD
                  - brakes
                  - clutch
                  - suspension

This whole project will cost me way to much money, so I will buy an S13 and upgrade it a little (LSD, brakes, suspension and add some power)
                  This will cost me about $5000

So if you know a better way/ cheaper way to prepare a Miata for drifting, please let me know!!!

Greetz

Comment

Guy who won the last drift competition here in vegas had a miata.. no lsd

Id spend about 2k on a good coilover suspension, whatever for an lsd, then just dump a little into the engine... that aloen would make a good drift car if you can cope with the short *Censored**Censored**Censored* wheel base. and 12k for a turbo? sounds a bit steep...

So you could easily spend around 4-5 k on a miata also and have a perfectly good drifting car.

Comment

miata

I too have a miata. I bought the car... well my father bought the car so i could drift. I know most parents dont condone this sort of thing, but since my father races wich i just recently found out last year, he decided to get me my first miata. this all started when i got my civic. i was all into drag racing up untill about the time i got my miata. now ive been driving for about two years now and have progressed really fast. now from my experience wich is however limited the miata with its extremely short wheel base and diff happens to be one of he best begginer drifting cars. and even so for professionals. a few of my friends who all happen to have 240's love driving my car and think its pretty badass considering its not nearly as powerfull as there cars. as for one of the earlier q's... you dont need to spend $12000 for a turbo flyinmiata.com offers a stge 1 and 2 for the miata for ust a few grand and at modacar.com they offer a greddy turbo kit for anout $1200.

Comment

Re: miata

Originally posted by flyinmiata
                        ... you dont need to spend $12000 for a turbo flyinmiata.com offers a stge 1 and 2 for the miata for ust a few grand and at modacar.com they offer a greddy turbo kit for anout $1200.
                        Only for the 1.6L

Comment

Pfffffft Theres a replacement for displacement they call it turbocharging.

Comment

Rotary, the replacement for displacement.

Comment

take your lies elsewhere rotar boy!!

Comment

Working...
                              X