3rd gen. camaro styling!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen. camaro styling!

I recently purchased a 3rd generation camaro (11/1990) lovely car, has the whole lot: Targe, leather interior, powerseats, cruise control, ICE etc. Got the whole package at a fair price but ever since I got it I have been wanting something more so that I can be noticed better from the other 3rd gens. Here I was thinking about styling of some sort, maybe a (wide) body kit, but since I am european none of the styling companies I am familiar with produces any sort of styling for this car. Does anyone know about any company that manufactures some badas$ body kits and/or some discrete, yet good looking ones... ?
    Last edited by tordur; 12-11-2003, 05:16 AM.

Re: 3rd gen. camaro styling!

Originally posted by tordur
    I recently purchased a 3rd generation camaro (11/1990) lovely car, has the whole lot: Targe, leather interior, powerseats, cruise control, ICE etc. Got the whole package at a fair price but ever since I got it I have been wanting something more so that I can be noticed better from the other 3rd gens. Here I was thinking about styling of some sort, maybe a (wide) body kit, but since I am european none of the styling companies I am familiar with produces any sort of styling for this car. Does anyone know about any company that manufactures some badas$ body kits and/or some discrete, yet good looking ones... ?
    Yea, I can get you some body kits. Are you planning on drifting that thing?

Spec.

Comment

You have to understand that when 3rd gen Camaro's were made there was no market for bodykits. And even today, with 3rd gens being at least 10 years old, there is a very small market for bodykits. So there are a few mods you can do, but nothing as simple, cheap, and abundant as the kits you'll find for sport compacts. Here are the mods I know of for a 3rd gen:

91-92 GFX Update - Your car is a 90, so the GFX are smooth. In 91/92 the GFX were changed up (front lip, sideskirts, and bumper) to a newer style. This is one option to update the GFX, but will still give you a stock look in the end.

Motion Fiberglass Industries - You can find their products on the internet, though they dont have a website. They make a widebody kit for the 82-84 model years, but with some good bodywork it could be smoothed to fit a 90.

ASCD - American Sports Car Design - These guys dont really make bodykits, but they do carry hoods, spoilers, hatches, and some of the Motion Fiberglass products.

K1 Styling - This is a kit car design company located in the Slovak Republic, with the USA distributors being Euroworks LTD. The website is www.k1-styling.sk and they carry two models of a wide body kit for the 3rd gen Camaro, but beware they are expensive.

FX Designs - Canadian company that makes aero parts for mostly sport compacts, but oddly enough also makes stuff for 3rd gen Camaro's. Currently they have a front clip (that I'm not too fond of), a rear bumper (still deciding if I like it), and a set of sideskirts on the way.

Thats about all I know of for bodykits on a 3rd gen Camaro. Like I said, there isnt much. There isn't much demand either. Your best bet of getting what you want is finding aero parts for others cars with similar dimensions and having a bodyshop custom fit it. I say if you plan to drift the car, then forget about bodykits because they will probably get smashed up anyway while you get a feel for drifting the car. Good luck!

Comment

3rd gen. camaro styling!

Originally posted by Spec
        Yea, I can get you some body kits. Are you planning on drifting that thing?

Spec.
        I am planning to drift the car... Never drifted a V8 before... are they very different from the japanese cars to drift....? and what bodykits do you know about spec...?

CrazyHawaiian: Been looking at the body kits you mentioned... the K-1 ones are very nice indeed, but as you said, extremely expensive... and I am not particularly fond of the head lights... they take away the camaro look of the car... looks to girlish to say the least... I have written an e-mail to euroworks asking them if they could make some sort of compromise between the evoluzione I and evoluzione II kit, mostly because of the doors on the II kit... anyone know about companies that produces universal door hinges like that...

Comment

There are a whole bunch of companies that started making those Lamborghini-style door hinges (Just search on google.com for "lambo hinge kit" and you'll get a million responsees).

IMO - you may want to add a rollcage of some kind of frame stiffener to compensate for the targa top gap.

If you haven't modified the suspension, try that before spending a lot of money on a body kit. The lines of the body are straight enough that (with a little practice) you may be able to fiberglass some flared fenders over a weekend or 2...

Good luck with the new car

-MR

Comment

door hinges....

Has any1 tried the lambo style door hinges... ? how did it work, where they a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* to mount or was it easy...? and will there any difference in stiffness if I choose to mount a bolt on rollcage rather than one which will be welded in the car... ? as for the shocks I would really like to apply stiffer shocks, but the roads here where I live are in places in an extremely bad shape... If I choose to apply maybe adjustable gas or air shocks would this affect the "driftability" of the car as oppose to fitting normal stiffer shocks... ?

Comment

In most cases the lambo hinges need to be modified to work, especially since they've been designed for sport compact imports. With some patience and a lot of paper and cardboard templates they shouldn't be too much of a problem.

A bolt-in roll bar will not yeild the bonding strength that welding will, but it will help and can be removed and modified. I think that NHRA rules (not that you have to worry abuot unless you decide to drag and decide to drag in the US) say something about a welded-in roll bar for any car running 13 sec's or faster. Bolt-in roll cages can usually be welded in, but weld-in cages can't really be bolted in...

A good suspension company like H&R or Koni most likely has the sort of adjustability that you would need (albeit the softest setting may still be harder than stock rates) and for the most part stay in whatever setting you put them in. As far as I'm concerned, there really isn't a better substitute for cross-over track / street duty cars.

Hope this helps.

-MR

Comment

that cleared some things up yes... to be completely honest I donīt know the first thing about how to modify the car to make it as "driftable" as possible, have been drifting my mates old school 300zx from 1984 thats the only experience I have at drifting, but it is great fun and I have been practising a lot lately... used to race quarter miles but this has actually lost my interest since i started to practise drifting, which is much more fun and challengeable

Comment

Working...
                X