FC3s or s14 for drift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FC3s or s14 for drift?

I have a '95 240sx se 5sp. right now and I am planning on buying a turbo 2 second gen rx7 now I was going to put kei office coilovers and a kaaz or nismo lsd on the s14 and use it as my drift car and use the rx7 as the daily driver now my question is would the rx7 be a better candidate than the s14 as a drift car? I am talking about overall performance for the money because the turbo 2 has more power and if they are both basically stock right now I dont want the throw a bunch of money into one and decide I want to drift the other. Any opinions let me know. thx!

are u familar with rotary? they're some what of a high maintenance engine. Personally i'd go with the TII but i'm bias and have never driven an S14.

Comment

nissan S chassis cars are easier to drift

Comment

Well the s14 does feel very well balanced and there is a lot of support for them. I have no personal experience with rotary's but I do understand them and am very mechanical so the maintence doesnt bother me. But I think if I am going to be beating on it the ka24de might last longer than the rotary, the t2 will probably be much happier as a daily driver. I like the 240 a lot, I havnt driven a 2nd rx7 yet so I cant make a claim on about it thats why I was asking. But I will probably go with the s14, I have a drift day comming up on the 24th so I will see if this car is too underpowered for me, I am sure it isnt so if I can handle the lack of power of the s14 then I will stick with it since I am spending a lot on suspension I cant afford a motor swap right now.

Comment

Originally posted by brainfood
          Well the s14 does feel very well balanced and there is a lot of support for them. I have no personal experience with rotary's but I do understand them and am very mechanical so the maintence doesnt bother me. But I think if I am going to be beating on it the ka24de might last longer than the rotary, the t2 will probably be much happier as a daily driver. I like the 240 a lot, I havnt driven a 2nd rx7 yet so I cant make a claim on about it thats why I was asking. But I will probably go with the s14, I have a drift day comming up on the 24th so I will see if this car is too underpowered for me, I am sure it isnt so if I can handle the lack of power of the s14 then I will stick with it since I am spending a lot on suspension I cant afford a motor swap right now.
          you don't need alot of power to drift. get the basics coilovers/diff/bucket seat and maintain the car. run good tires to destroy

fc's are made to grip and they are damn good at it. i drift a s14 and it works pretty well for me

Comment

Im biased, FC

Comment

s14...

Comment

where would you get kei office coilovers?? thanks!!

Comment

Streets_of_Fire, that's a question for another topic...

S14 is easier to drift than the FC. Altough both are great, I would go with an FC as a daily driver. Of course, it can make some maintenance problems, but that's one of the few bad things about the rotaries. You can try drifting both of them before you put the coilovers on the S14 and actually compare them.

Comment

S14. it's one of the easiest cars to drift with, in fact, it's actually earned the name "cheater drift car" because it's so easy to control.

Comment

Personally, I am a Nissan fan, so I will pick the S14 in a heartbeat!

FC is definitely not a bad car. It's always being overlooked when choosing a drift car. Front cross member and suspension mounting points are better designed, making the chassis stronger all together. You will notice the front and rear strut towers are all boxed on a FC and the cross member also forms a square. S13/14's cross member literally only one bar across the front. Transmission tunnel on the FC is higher, which also contributes to a stiffer chassis. Control arms on the FC are also beefier than those on the S13/S14. All these make the FC's chassis stronger, hence more competitive for club racing (you won't find any 240sx running ITS, only S13 in ITA where they allow 1st gen RX-7 and other cars in that era). The FC is just a better handling car right out of the box. The stronger chassis also makes the FC more abusable. A few off road excursions will definitely not hurt the FC at all but will probably bend a TC rod or tie rod on a S13/14. FC is also more economical. You can pick up a FC shell for less than $500 anyday whereas the s14... hmmm... could cost some money. Motorwise... rotary lacks torque, which makes clutch kicking not very effective. Turbo might be better. The KA24DE found in USDM S13/14 does have more torque and power and allows you to clutch kick easier. Rotary, believe it or not, could take a lot of abuse because it does not have valves/camshafts/timing belts/etc, only 2 rotors spinning... Just make sure you add enough motor oil in before you drive hard because the oil seals on the older rotary motors are usually bad.

So choosing which car as a daily and which as a drift car depend on your budget and skill level. For beginner, the FC is a better choice because it's more replacable. Also if you could drift a FC, you could basically drift any car because its handling charateristic does take finer driver inputs in order to drift right. Lack of torque on the rotary also forces you to understand and use more of weight transfer in order to drift.

If you want power, V8 is also an option on the FC. You could find out more about the V8 swap at [url]www.wrongmotor.com[url/].

FC is also more unique in the drift scene. Sadly but true, the survey that Formula D did reflects that only about 2% of the people participanting in the survey drives a Mazda. Whereas there are over 20% driving a Nissan and another 20% driving a Toyota.

Nonetheless, I love Nissans and it will always be my choice whether it's a S13/S14/S15/Skyline.
                      Hubert Young
                      KORE 8 Films

Comment

^-- Good stuff

But i fully agree with what someone mentioned before... Take each to the track for a day and see which you prefer. simplist answer right there.

IMO drifting is pretty much 9/10s skill and 3/10s car (yes, add that one up...)

It all really comes down to personal preference and style. Find which works better for you, which makes your goals easier to obtain, and flattly just which car you want to be seen in. Want to blend in with everyone else? Or stand out a bit?

Comment

s14

i think u should go with the s14 because its more popular and like everyone said, its very easy to drift and u dont need all taht much power for it.

Comment

Originally posted by kaneda
                            S14. it's one of the easiest cars to drift with, in fact, it's actually earned the name "cheater drift car" because it's so easy to control.
                            Not to critize or anything but what aspect if any of drifting even with a S14 is easy? LOL! Just T.O.!

Comment

HMMMMM. Those are both cars that I see fit for drifting. I would say that it depends if you want to work harder at drifting/drift maintenance or work harder at day to day maintenance. Because the FC will be the harder car to maintain and drift either way.

Comment

Working...
                              X