Drifting My Porsche 924S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting My Porsche 924S

Just started drifting and learning Heel & Toe Technique, im learning really fast, but i really dont have a place to go and practice these techniques or any other drifting techniques... me and a bunch of my friends (2 8-6's, a RHD Silvia K's, My 924S, Integra Type R, and a 240sx) want to practice drifting and eventually enter competition... but we have nowhere to go to practice, nor do we have any idea where we can practice drifting techniques.... where do you guys go to practice.... where is the best place (besides a track) to practice drifting?

They say that open parking lots is the place to practive, when learning you always spin a lot before you get the hang of it but its not really my thing.

Find a country road with smooth pavement, lots of runoff (wide gravel shoulder, no deep ditch!) and a medium kinda turn (no 90's) and nobody around to piss off. BTW I wouldn't bother in the begging with any other technique to initiate other then scandanavia flick, it always gives me the most consitent results at lower speeds.

Practive on gravel or rain too, remember you really gotta be going about 20Mph or faster to even do a small powerslide or drift, low speed stuff just gets you spins.

Cool btw you have a 924S, I can't remember if that was the 2.5 outta the 944 in it? (145hp?)

Comment

word up man, thanks a lot

yeah i got a 924S (1988) its a 2.5L and its got 160bhp Stock but mine has somewhere between 195-205hp i put an Autothority Speed chip in and a full Flowmaster exhaust and K&N Turbocharged intake...

---"Find a country road with smooth pavement, lots of runoff (wide gravel shoulder, no deep ditch!) and a medium kinda turn (no 90's) and nobody around to piss off. BTW I wouldn't bother in the begging with any other technique to initiate other then scandanavia flick, it always gives me the most consitent results at lower speeds.

Practive on gravel or rain too, remember you really gotta be going about 20Mph or faster to even do a small powerslide or drift, low speed stuff just gets you spins."

can you elaborate on the Scandanavia flick?

i got the concept of the clutch kick drift and the shift lock... but haven't actually had the balls to try em.... what's the scandanavia flick???? that one is new to me.

Comment

Ahhh is that 2.5 the Sohc or the later DOHC one? Anyways, I don't like clutch kick, its too unpredictable in your breakawya, I always spin out. Shift lock, I find unpredictablet too.

The scandinavian flick is a rally term, I can't remember the drift turn equivelant. If you are drifting left, you kinda start in left part of straightaway, throttle medium as you pull sharp to right, get weight moving, then off throttle as you pull left, then as the sharp weight transition hits you power on and voila!

The trick to drifting (at my level anyways) is initiation of getting your tires sliding, I find flicking the car is the only way to get it too slide just enough to get started but not enough to spin out.

Also remember that if you don't have enough speed going forward you cannot overcome your yaw angle and she'll spin out. You HAVE to be going at least oh I dunno 25mph or so to get a proper slide, I see all these guys doing it like 10mph and spinning out.

Parking lot, then find smooth paved, country road! Also, I started totally learned drifting in the begging at slower speeds in the snow, then up too rain, snow is so easy, you can initiate by just pushing gas, and learn to control slides with that, then move up to pavement.

Anyways I hope this makes sense, good luck!

Comment

it all makes perfect sense, basically what you described sounds like an Inertial Drift.... it does make a lot of sense and is very helpful... thanks homie.... i have the last production year 924s which has the same exact engine as the 944... i believe it is DOHC... 2.5L I4 (inline 4)

Comment

like an Inertial Drift.... it does make a lot of sense and is very helpful... thanks homie
            Totally welcome! just remember to find smooth pavement, bumps and stuff can screw up your lock on the road and SPINNNN again!

Takes lots of guts to hold a decent slide long, and recover, you get such a rush! and then think about how scary it was and how you'll never do it again! course you always do!

Comment

i think i found a spot to practice... its a realtively wide ( i'd say about 90 feet) parking lot that appears to serve no purpose AT ALL lol, i dont have any clue why it is there, it is adjacent to a shopping plaza, but it has its own little driveway down into it and it is surrounded by trees (the driveway) and when you get down to the lot it has an island streaming down the middle with about 40 feet of space on either side (island is maybe 5-10 feet wide) and on the backside of the island there is plenty of drifting space.... the only drawback and reason i a m hesitant to go there is that it is located like a mile away from the local state trooper barracks.

i think me and my boyz are gonna go there tonight just to chill (NO DRIFTING OR RACING TONIGHT!). so that we can see if anyone comes to bust our balls... if not then next time we'll chill and do a drift or 2 every hour or so then call it quits... you know what im sayin? like ease in some drifting.... gradually increase the drifting, feel out gradually if we're gonna get f*ked with....

if we do i have a backup plan located about a half mile further down the road behind the local A&P plaza.

Comment

Working...
              X