• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mopar Retires VIPER From Formula D Series

MOPAR RETIRES VIPER COMPETITION COUPE
    FROM FORMULA D SERIES COMPETITION
    by Mopar

Center Line, Mich. - Mopar has announced that it will officially retire the Dodge Viper Competition Coupe from Formula D Series competition. This announcement comes amidst much anticipation regarding Mopar's 2005 drifting plans at the SEMA show held in Las Vegas, Nev., last week.

The Mopar Viper Competition Coupe and Formula D Series Champion Samuel Hubinette had an extremely successful run during the 2004 season, winning three of four series' events and the inaugural championship.

"Although the Mopar Viper Competition Coupe wasn't our first choice as a drift vehicle, it gave us a competition ready machine for Samuel to pilot in the 2004 Formula D season," said DaimlerChrysler's Youth Marketing Manager, BJ Birtwell. "While we're sad to retire the Mopar Viper Competition Coupe from
    drifting, we're excited to compete with a purpose-built drift machine in 2005."

The make and model of the vehicle will be announced in the coming months.

The creation of Mopar's purpose-built drift machine for 2005 is being pioneered by NuFormz Racing, which is owned by NHRA Sport Compact Series standout and race car builder, Shaun Carlson. Alongside Rob Miller, who is Shaun Carlson's crew chief and NuFormz's top tuner, Carlson will be busy creating a competitive, purpose-built drift car to debut next year.

"We've built some competitive and progressive race cars in the past several years," said Carlson. "Our intention with this vehicle is to stop nothing short of spectacular."

Re: Mopar Retires VIPER From Formula D Series

Originally posted by INFO
    The creation of Mopar's purpose-built drift machine for 2005 is being pioneered by NuFormz Racing, which is owned by NHRA Sport Compact Series standout and race car builder, Shaun Carlson. Alongside Rob Miller, who is Shaun Carlson's crew chief and NuFormz's top tuner, Carlson will be busy creating a competitive, purpose-built drift car to debut next year.
    Does anyone else find this disturbing?

Comment

like alex said. "Everyone in the race community thinks they can build a better drift car"

Comment

Whats so disturbing??? afraid of the US muscle

Hope its a 2005 viper hard top, not the Competition Coupe but a Viper, the crossfire mehh maybe the srt6.

Comment

I think it is the choptop srt6 crossfire.

Comment

Nooooo it looks so crapppy.

Dodge could really use the Razor right about now, perfect against GMs KAPPA platform . Or a 300 Srt8 after some massive weight loss.

Comment

All the cars in the D1 look like purpose built drift cars to me. Its not like any of these cars that compete at the professional level are stock street cars. If I had the funds/skills I wish I had my purpose built drift Camaro would be completed already ...

Comment

purpose built?

i dont see a problem with this. its no different than GM's purpose built gto or now Ford and gushi's musatang.

should be interezting!

Comment

Originally posted by NextBoost
                  Nooooo it looks so crapppy.

Dodge could really use the Razor right about now, perfect against GMs KAPPA platform . Or a 300 Srt8 after some massive weight loss.
                  I agree wholeheartedly.

Hear that, DaimlerChrysler? Youth Marketing department, eh? Get the Razor back on track. If you want to drift on Sunday, sell on Monday, you'll only be able to do it with the Razor. Bring it in under 20k with a similar spec to what you announced with the show vehicle and you will OWN the market segment. The Viper is nice as a halo car always out of the realm of affordability for drift fans (obviously). The Crossfire and 300C (no matter how pimp it is) are out of the target market as well.

And please don't resurrect the idea of building a 1-off RWD Neon.

Deaf ears, probably, but it hurt when they cancelled the Razor project.
                  Last edited by Slonie; 11-12-2004, 06:10 PM.

Comment

MOPAR definetly has the right guys on there side. Shaun and Rob are amazing fabricators! Lets see what the stupid bottomless pit of money can come up with this time? Should be interesting.

Comment

I like Falken's cars better. I think D/A's cars are going to be nicer...

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
                        I like Falken's cars better. I think D/A's cars are going to be nicer...
                        DA's cars will be built with the heart of a drifter on a modest budget. I fear the MOPAR car will be grossly over built just because they can. I can't wait to see what the DA guys have up there sleeves for 05'. I think it's going to be a very exciting year for professional drifting in the U.S.

Youth Marketing Dept......wow.....must be nice!?

Rock on.......

Comment

crossfire is something that I dont mind seeing, I freakn forgot bout that car too, shiot.

Comment

I'll bet it's the new Charger that no one has gotten to see yet. I can see why. Not to many people can afford a Viper, but a 20 - 30,000 dollar car is possable for many.

Comment

please built the 300C thats pimp stylo with a hemi.....lol jk

Comment

Working...
                              X