need a ca18/ this sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a ca18/ this sucks

well i had somem overheating problems a couple weeks ago and i put in a new water pump and then went away. i was drivind through in n out and my car starts over heating so i flushed the radiator and then tested it out, well it overheated agian. i blew my headgasket, that pressurized my cooling system and blew a hole in my weeak spot which was my old crappy radiator, and to top it off i warped my head. this really sucks, i am going to be riding my bike aroundfor a while, so i hope it doesnt rain for a while. it seems like whenever i get some money saved up my car has something brake that expensive.

but i am trying to look at this in a good way, which is i am buying a ca18det front clip or motorset, prefferably front clip.

so if any one has some for sale or knowsw of some in the socal area please let me know, i really need one. Any people that have them or if you could recomend a reputable shop that not expensive in socal let me know.

thanks alot

Have you considered this fully?

Have you considered the fact that the car will be completely illegal? If you get pulled over, the cop could ask you to pop the hood. If you pop it and he checks the motor, you're screwed.

You'll be paying a couple grand for the motor, which only puts out 20 more horsepower than the KA24DE and only 6lb-ft more torque.

You'll also have less aftermarket parts availability here in the States than for both the KA and SR.

More shops are familiar with both the SR and KA family of motors than the CA family.

Comment

thanks for the positive encouragement. i heard th ca looks alot like the ka. i figure a diy intercooler setup sprayed black, a recirculating bov, a quiet cat back system and a heat shield over the t28 i hope to get would be pretty unnoticable. plus with some hidden gauges and boost controller, the interior would look stock also.

if i were to get a racing cat back, and a shiny front mount with a lo9ud bov and some pillar gauge mounts then i would expect to get screwed over

i dont want to get this so i can suprise people with my sleeper, i want to keep it low profile from the cops.

Comment

How are you going to smog it? Drop two bills at a smog shop as a bribe?

The CA has a red valve cover which is an entirely different shape than the KA. The intake manifold is mounted higher than the KA as well. The entire motor is of a different shape.

Comment

the smog check is not hard to get. there are so many crooked shops out there, not thats its bad because for some people, mainly my friends with fc's its the only way to go, haha.

Comment

my friend works at a gas station that smogs also. why are you attacking me? whats your problem? I have been saving for a long time and now i can get my dream car, is there something wrong with that? Ito do it but i dont see the point in wasting my t would have loved to keep my ka24e until i wanted ime and money by installing a ka24de when later down the road i would like to do this anyways. Maybe you were giving me constructive criticism, maybe not. I can afford this right now so i am going to do it.

and no my daddy isnt buying this for me. i worked 12 hours yesterday in norco and ontario. if anybody has drivin by those mitsubishi dealerships and seen how many signs i put in the ground, you can tell how hard i have worked to have the option of being able to purchase my own engine.

Where did you get the number of 3000 from?

I see it like this:

1200 motorset
            500 custom piping and intercooler
            300 down pipe and custom exhaust
            150 for random things like new belts water pump etc.

total 2150, and upgrade later when i have more money

plus a new radiator say 300 for that so 2450 in my car and ready to get my hood popped
            Last edited by sdtouge; 11-13-2004, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Most people will say "go with the more powerful option", and the SR is more powerful, but it's all in the stroke. I've done quite a bit of reading about this and even spoken with people who actually drive CA18DETs. They're blocks made of iron instead of aluminium and their bottom ends are rock solid, they can rev higher, dial up the boost on stock internals and you'll be making decent power.

Come to think of it, the way SR prices are on the rise you could probably have a well built CA for the price of a good SR swap.

B-Wurm
              **Edit: Either way though, swap the engine and wind up popping the hood for the 5-oh and you're up chocolate creek without a popsicle stick. Us Canadians, on the other hand, can swap whatever we want and don't even have to run Cats, although it's strongly suggested.
              Last edited by Buddyworm; 11-14-2004, 12:31 AM.

Comment

The CA parts are more expencive and harder to find than SR parts. Also, don't put a set price on a swap because you are getting a used engine and if you let your motor go like that then you probably have not taken care of everything else so you may need to replace other things as well. Don't be an idiot and EXPECT not to get caught with the motor, if you get cought you will be much worse off than you are now.

Comment

CA parts are way easier to find than SR parts, because we had the CA here in N/A form, exactly the same engine except for the oil squirters and some other stuff, but the major parts like water pumps, gaskets, intake mani, tons of stuff was all in the US. The SR is the one that you have to drop a few hundred for a RWD water pump and wait to have it shipped out to you, you can go to your local autostore and get a CA waterpump.

Comment

i have one parts are easier to get than tieing my own shoes and are actually cheaper...to an extent...a large majority you can still pick up at the dealership!!!!! Check out ca18det.org gives you all the parts reference numbers in the states! Go with the ca its a good strong motor good for about 300hp with no problems and its good for drifting, and it does look kinda like the ka. You will have to replace certain items for it due to it being old and...well its a swap stuph happens...clutch and flywheel clutch masters makes them now...LOL...thanx to me!!! :-D first carbonfiber clutch and lighten flywheel they ever made is sitting in my car!!! :-D I highly doubt a cops going to really care that much, when i lived in 909 i swapped out my d16 for a b16a sir2 no problem cops didnt care, and most dont know much about the ca anyhow so who cares :-D specially since most ppl are dropping in sr20s..........and cops know what those are now adays...reminds me ca is a def underrated motor. and a ca front clip is about the same price as a KA motor alone with low mileage...i paid 1.2gz for my complete motor set...non spliced harness!!! YAY!!!...and a KA is about 1.3gz just for a low mileage motor....

damn panda beat me to post about how easy parts are....

Comment

were did you get your font clip?

some miscelanous things i plan to replace
                      clutch
                      head gasket (greddy or tomei)
                      waterpump
                      koyo radiator
                      thermostat
                      radiator hoses
                      spark plugs
                      oil filter
                      fuel filter and pummp upgrade

and turbo gaskets and altenator if needed

nico also has a big list on stuff for the ca

Comment

ya i no i want a ca 2 where u get it from??? and was it ez 2 install???

Comment

really easy to install, the price might be more due to shipping to where ever you guys live but check out PRERACING.COM( local shop and since motors all come from around here they can either get it for you or tell you where to look ) ...i got it though them...tell em Eric sent yah. They hook it up...and for the parts you looking for ( besides clutch ) go to CA18DET.ORG to the parts area...and the clutch you can get from clutch masters.

Comment

i got a complete motor set not a clip i think the clip is a few hundred more...not a big deal if u allready have a front mount lined up...and the front mount and piping for the '97+ prelude turbo kit works perfectly. u will have a few extra pipes laying around but it works fine.

Comment

fmic from a 97+ prelude, that interesting. i ahvent seen that many front mounts for the ca18 so thats good to know.

how did the ca feel after it was put in? Did you upgrade your fuel pump? If so did you get/ need an fuel pressure regulator?
                              thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                              X