D1 News - Who will be the champ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1 News - Who will be the champ?

Lots of nutty stuff going on in D1 (Japan) for those of you who haven't been keeping tabs on it...

Imamura dominated Rd. 6 at Ebisu in a new FD. Miki came in 2nd place. Taniguchi is driving an Altezza now, but he had boost controller problems and didn't make it into the Best 16 (thus 0 points). Drift Samurai even got into the Best 16, lol! Kazama spun out in his first battle and got no points.

Anyways, as far as Championship points, guess who's in 1st place... Miki!!! Woohoo! That would be so cool if he was the next champion. That guy deserves it. After Kazama won the first two rounds everyone thought he was a shoo-in, but he's in 4th place now with no shot at the title. Taniguchi is in 2nd in the standings w/ 82 points, and since Miki has 94 points then Taniguchi could potentially become champion depending on the outcome at Rd. 7 Tsukuba which is on 11/25.

So theoretically, if Taniguchi got 1st place at Tsukuba then Miki would have to at least come in 6th place to beat him for the title. But here's the kicker. Miki has NEVER done well at Tsukuba. After three trips to Tsukuba, he has only gotten into the Best16 once and that time he only placed 9th overall. Taniguchi has driven well at Tsukuba (he won last year in Rd 7) if you don't count that one funny time when he drove his own personal car, haha. But now with this new HKS Altezza he's driving (remember Imamura in '01?), he might not do very well. He claims that the Altezza has more torque than the S15 but he wants more traction in the corners. So even if Miki doesn't finish top 10 at Rd. 7, in that case Taniguchi will still need more than 12 points, i.e. at least a 4th place finish to become a two-time champion.

Anyways, Rd. 7 is looking to be a BIG battle for the title.
    Last edited by NekoPunch; 11-15-2004, 05:54 PM.

I have not seen Round 6 at Ebisu yet. Thanks for ruining it! jk :P To me, D1 is equally entertaining whether you know the outcome or not.

Thanks for the update. NekoPunch.
    Hubert Young
    KORE 8 Films

Comment

ooohhhh! sounds exciting

Comment

Not to be noobish or anything. But where do you find this stuff out? And where do you watch these races?

B-Wurm

Comment

I hope NOB takes it home but then again i hope miki does too we'll just a to find out

Comment

Hubert, good to hear from you again man! Is your car all set up for the 12/19 event?? Best of luck with all that and hope you can kick some butt out there, heheh.

Buddyworm: I just get updates at the Japanese D1 website: d1gp.co.jp

...and I watch the videos as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Speaking of "Nob" that guy is so cool. His website (noonebetter.co.jp) is sooo informative. He posts up a diary (almost daily) where he writes in detail about all his JGTC races and D1 competitions and other ramblings. He's really shy, not arrogant at all when you talk to him in person. Maybe some people think he's cocky because of his nickname, but I think he just sets a high standard for himself and always strives to be the best. I like that.

But Miki also really deserves to be champion. He's just got such a great attitude and bold driving style. I talked with him a lot after the last D1 event at Irwindale (since nobody was bugging him for autographs) and he was nice enough to answer all my questions. So many things I didn't know... his car setup, his favorite tracks, what D1 competion is like, the differences between s13, s14, and s15, why Drifting IS Understeer, etc. etc.

Well, let the best man win.

Comment

nicely said, let the best man win!

Comment

whens your site gonna be back up?

Comment

Soon, hopefully later this week. My host is changing to a new server. I'll post here when it's back online.

Comment

yay go nekopunch, got any new japan trip pics or a vid coming up for us on your site (when its back up)?

Comment

Yeah, hopefully soon. There are new pics of my car with full aero.

I've planned another video, but I just haven't had time to start on it yet. Next trip to Japan is in early January and I'll be hanging out with powerdby007 and going drifting again at the track there. So I'll have some new pics and vids from that once I get back.
                      Last edited by NekoPunch; 11-20-2004, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Okay, my site is back online woohoo. But my videos are offline until I get re-established with FTP access and do a better job of controlling bandwith. (sheepish grin)

Comment

I want your car....

That is all.

Thank you, D_G

Comment

I want your car....

That is all.

Thank you, D_G

Comment

dude, ur car looks almost identical to PG's man, except the wheels and the color, both of then are really nice!! cant wait to see ur videos.

and about d1, i really want NOB to win, change back to a s15, kick all their a$$es and be a deserved winner like last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X