Down with Formula Drift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down with Formula Drift

Ok heres the problem, there is no doubt that all of us here love drifting and for us it is a passion so I think I can speak for everyone when I say we dont want it to turn into comercialized FnF type stuff. This new Formula drift crap is americas way to commercialize our passion, they are just out to make a wad of cash by making it mainstream and "trendy". Not only does this bother me because it will brign alot of ignorant kids and adults to shows events and messege boards like this but it will also raise the demand on the cars and parts we need wich will make them more expensive, which may be good for Chas, but for the rest of us that dont have that much money its a problem. And another thing this formula drift is not like D-1 where you can qualify and brake into the professional scene if you have the skills, the drivers are set, another way of making the cash roll in.
    Another big problem when you have media coverage is that you have the attention of alot more people. A side effect of too many people donig one thing and media coverage is government involnment. This is a fancy way to say MORE COPS and worse NEW LAWS. This endangers every touge runner parking lot drifter wangan battler and all the rest of us who love to run our cars hard. I know that even if we tried we might not be able to stop it from going mainstream, but at least we can try an hopefully that will give us some more time to drift on the streets.

here is a link to the page....http://www.drifting.com/article.php?...st&show_Title=
    read the quotes from WIRED magazine and you will see the rising problem

try not to beat it down until you know what is really going on. FD is structureed very similarly to D1 and run with their approval. Anyone can compete in the competitions and the drivers are not set. This event is open for everyone. The producers are aware of the concerns for mainstream companies trying to do what other corporate companies did to skateboarding for example. Lets not to judge before you really know what is going on.

Comment

better yet lets not endanger Drifting

Comment

Your concerns are valid. No one wants to see drifting go down the toilet. All I can say is that I assure you no harm will be done once the clouds clear and you see the structure of everything in front of you. The intentions are for more opportunities for you and other enthusiasts. This is why we maintain the best relationship we can with D1 and as we work together to grow drifting in America. We'd all like to see a group of drivers one day be able to compete on the level of most of the Japanese pros. It is very exciting to see guys like Ernie Fixmer coming up so hard to the point that the Japanese guys are beginning to notice that the skill is getting better. For Ernie take praise from Orido and Tsuchiya is a big deal and to give these guys more opportunities to get better and to be exposed more helps drifting take the course that the enthusiasts will choose for it. As enthusiasts ourselves no one wants to see some corporate entity that knows nothing of the sport to ruin or taint it. As of now, no corporate entity has hold of this sport, now do they have any influence in the FD series, nor are there any plans for that. Please keep that in mind as draw your conclusions

Comment

Very well said and reassuring.

Comment

It's not such a bad thing. Yes, the cops may crack down on Touge. but, at the same time, more and more tracks will open up to drifters. And I think losing the illegal oppurtunity in favor of a legal one is a fair trade. After my crash, I'm not going to run the Touge anymore, not until I really get some serious skills anyway. SO I'm a sworn track drifter.

And I think a good side benifit will be that all the drifters who do it just to be "outlaws" or "rebels" or whatever will stop doing it, leving only those of us who really care about the sport.

Comment

Im totally with the whole more tracks opening up for legal drifting, I just like everyone else want to be able to go out and have fun without the fear of being stopped by cops. But look how they choose to provide us with legal options, one example in california is the race legal drag races are not a 1/4mile but an 1/8mile. I know this is better than on the street and hopefully they will start an amatuer drifting track and a Ghymkana. However it doesnt seem that they are out to promote drifting and move it in the direction the enthusiast want it...
              example:
              “Like skateboarding, drifting is starting to look like the next pop fusion of consumer culture and rebel aesthetics, the perfect vehicle to market T-shirts and toys and mountain Dew.” -WIRED magazine

I think that instead of turning away those that do it to be rebels they are trying to give it an "image" just like FnF did to street racing it turned it into a hard ricer image instead of car enthusiasts. Drifting is not some marketing campaign and an opportunity to sell T-shirts. To have that qoute in thier presentation makes me doubt Formula drift I guess what I am trying to say is that in my opinon there needs to be less of a focus on marketing and commercialization and more of an emphasis on the art of drifting. I think the focus should be on providing upcoming talent in the US places to practice and oportunitys to compete and let the fans come on thier own.

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D
                try not to beat it down until you know what is really going on. FD is structureed very similarly to D1 and run with their approval. Anyone can compete in the competitions and the drivers are not set. This event is open for everyone. The producers are aware of the concerns for mainstream companies trying to do what other corporate companies did to skateboarding for example. Lets not to judge before you really know what is going on.

okay.. Can you tell us, what's Formula Ds real purpose on engaging into this venue?

what is Formula D's real purpose on televising this sport?

I like the fact it will promote new sponsorship, But how can you prevent people from making it into a FnF type hype?

Comment

The intention of Formula D is to grow drifting talent here in America. This first all came about when a member of Option Japan wanted to know why no one was doing an American Championship for points for all the drifters not only CA but the US. Their thought was that the better the talent here, the more exciting it is for D1 to come back year after year. Since there is already a pre-existing working relationship, we took the reigns and tried to put together the best and most comprehensive package we could.

Don't let the television scare you. It is not a "Hollywood come in and mess everything up" type of thing. Similarly to how drag racing has their programming this will too. However, being able to maintain creative control the point is to show the stories of the real drifters in real situations as a drifter. Not a high budget, Fast and the Furious crap fest where the real scene is not exposed. You might very well see the last minute tuning at 4 in the morning preparing for an event to pit antics of some of the more colorful characters. We all know who those are This is a forum for real drifters to tell their story and show what we all like ot think is one of the most exciting form of motorsports to watch.

Marketing obviously is a part of this and you have good points... Very good points. See this as a way to spread our message of what drifting is really all about. People out there with alterior motives will spread those messages you refer to. We need to use the opportunities out there to spread the right message and show people the uniqueness of this culture and how it came to be. If we all do that then "they" cannot alter or change that message.

There are gonig to be those companies that try to do the "FnF type hype" but this is not one of them. We only hope that our hype superceeds that of anyone trying to go against the drift grain so to speak so that the only thing heard is what we all love. Now that I got all cheesy, I hope that helps.

Comment

Hey, I'm curious, by the way, is it decided yet what network FD will be on? I hope it's not speed channel, because stupid Adelphia Cable doesn't carry it....

Comment

Originally posted by Formula D
                      The intention of Formula D is to grow drifting talent here in America. This first all came about when a member of Option Japan wanted to know why no one was doing an American Championship for points for all the drifters not only CA but the US. Their thought was that the better the talent here, the more exciting it is for D1 to come back year after year. Since there is already a pre-existing working relationship, we took the reigns and tried to put together the best and most comprehensive package we could.

Don't let the television scare you. It is not a "Hollywood come in and mess everything up" type of thing. Similarly to how drag racing has their programming this will too. However, being able to maintain creative control the point is to show the stories of the real drifters in real situations as a drifter. Not a high budget, Fast and the Furious crap fest where the real scene is not exposed. You might very well see the last minute tuning at 4 in the morning preparing for an event to pit antics of some of the more colorful characters. We all know who those are This is a forum for real drifters to tell their story and show what we all like ot think is one of the most exciting form of motorsports to watch.

Marketing obviously is a part of this and you have good points... Very good points. See this as a way to spread our message of what drifting is really all about. People out there with alterior motives will spread those messages you refer to. We need to use the opportunities out there to spread the right message and show people the uniqueness of this culture and how it came to be. If we all do that then "they" cannot alter or change that message.

There are gonig to be those companies that try to do the "FnF type hype" but this is not one of them. We only hope that our hype superceeds that of anyone trying to go against the drift grain so to speak so that the only thing heard is what we all love. Now that I got all cheesy, I hope that helps.
                      My concern is really seeing drifting as part of NOPI / "HI-Rev Tuner"/ Super2NRTV.

I want to see Drifting going towards, such as, "Valvoline Run-off" or other "real sport events"

Comment

You are right!. I am totally on the same page!

Comment

Dont blow it by being sellouts. Please, dont wreck the sport.

Comment

this site represents what you are talking about...and so does every showoff company endorsed event that is intertwined with drifting example. drift showoff....Its already out there. People arent only making drifting mainstream because they want everyone to enjoy it, they do it for money. Its business....And this is a growing sport...thats where the money is.

Comment

OK...

honestly i think that they should go ahead w/ there lil wanna be D1..i really don't care,i love the sport but its kinda like in japan.. they have the D1 but sum of the BEST drifters don't compete becuz they stay true to the sprot where it started on the streets,i know this might be off subject but,in a way ur just helping them bring in more ppl by saying that(all the wanna be's just want media attn and 2 be in magz) so your bring money to the formula in a way. i do agree w/ u in sum wayz but not all.

just my 2 p.s.i

Comment

Working...
                              X