SR20DET Swap into a 1990 240SX; Rough Estimate $$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR20DET Swap into a 1990 240SX; Rough Estimate $$

around how much would labor be to swap an sr20det into a 1990 240sx or is there away to find out? ive called my local shop and the owner hasnt been answering and i havnt been able to get ahold of him

are there any people in here that have shops or work at shops that would know how much?

well....most shops charge differently for labor but I would $500+ will get you the engine properly installed into your car...well our shop charges 500-600

Comment

ok good cuz i wasnt hopeing to pay more than that i should be able to build it then thanks man

Comment

Why an SR? Just for the JDM value? Have you thought about a turbo KA? Torquier motors are easier to drift.

BoostDesigns (www.boostdesigns.com) has a stage 1 turbo kit (includes everything you need) that makes 232whp at 8psi for $1,875. You can't even buy a SR20DET motorset for that little. And even if you could get them for the same price (you can't), you'll be making around 200whp.

The BD kit also comes with a FMIC. A SR20DET swap with a FMIC and equivalent is going to run you at least $5,000.

Not to mention the extra 400ccs

Comment

do you have a link to this?

also your out of austin?

i clicked on this to possibly enlighten him on the cheapness of ka-t, but yall have a prefabbed kit for it for 1800 is pretty cheap. does it have anything to tune it correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Team503
            Why an SR? Just for the JDM value? Have you thought about a turbo KA? Torquier motors are easier to drift.

BoostDesigns (www.boostdesigns.com) has a stage 1 turbo kit (includes everything you need) that makes 232whp at 8psi for $1,875. You can't even buy a SR20DET motorset for that little. And even if you could get them for the same price (you can't), you'll be making around 200whp.

The BD kit also comes with a FMIC. A SR20DET swap with a FMIC and equivalent is going to run you at least $5,000.

Not to mention the extra 400ccs
            Good find there, makes me not save up $$$ to do an sr swap.

Comment

your gonna blow it up if you turbo a sohc ka

Comment

What is your backing for that statment? The KA is a very under estamated platform, however many people have 'poped' them because they don't set it up right. Look out for our 240SX in 05', other than an S13 front end this KA will amaze most.

Comment

if i wanted to turbo an s13, would it be smarter to put an s14 dohc ka24 in it first ? ive heard great things about the greddy and boost design kits and am considering one or the other

Comment

My friend is currently building a 500hp+ KA-T. It all depends on how you tune it. If you don't know what your doing, than I would recommend bringing it to a knowledgable shop, not just some ghetto shop to save yourself a few bills.

Comment

Yes, I'd recommend the DE (DOHC) swap - more power potential, and there's more parts available for the DE.

The good news is that DE's are very available, very cheap. Just find some guy spending his money on an SR swap, and buy his old motor and tranny for around $150.

The kit is at http://www.boostdesigns.com/stage1.htm , and here's the included part list:

* Garrett T3 Super 60 -.48AR Turbine .60 AR Compressor 60 Trim (upgrade to a T3/T4 .48 AR Turbine .50 AR Compressor 50 or 57 Trim Stage III Wheel , turbonetics turbine housing add $200 to price of this kit)
                      * Flow bench designed and tested tubular stainless steel manifold
                      * 3" flowbench tested downpipe w/ o2 sensor bung installed
                      * 38mm External Wastegate
                      * 2.25" Stainless Steel Intercooler Charge Pipes (Short Routed)
                      * Custom built intercooler w/ extruded Garrett Core 24" X 6" x 2.75"
                      * FMU w/ 12:1 Disc
                      * 38mm Recirculating Blow off Valve
                      * Stainless Oil Feed, Return and Fittings (not rubber lines like most kits offer)
                      * Air Intake Filter w/ Maf Adapter
                      * All Silicone Boots

The short answer, is yes, it's inclusive. You'll make about 230whp @ 8psi on pump gas, and it'll be reliable. If you want MORE power than that, you should look into the Stage Two (an additional $700, can be purchased seperately), and yes, that does require management that's not included. BD recomends the GReddy E-Manage as an ECU solution, others will work if you want.

You can find out all you want by hitting www.ka-t.org

Comment

Originally posted by Ris4drift
                        do you have a link to this?

also your out of austin?

i clicked on this to possibly enlighten him on the cheapness of ka-t, but yall have a prefabbed kit for it for 1800 is pretty cheap. does it have anything to tune it correctly?
                        Yes, see above.
                        Yeppers. Was in Houston a few years too, ran with the ClubSi guys back then. Dislike ICCH intensely with few exceptions.
                        Yes, it does, but additional power will require additional components.

<=== Does not work for BoostDesigns, just pimping the kit.

Comment

good luck finding a low mileage ka24de to be turbo'd. Not to knock that kit but you can find SR's for a very good price with under 40,000 miles on them, everyone can tune them, plenty of aftermarket support and proven in JGTC, D1GP, etc.. If I had a low mileage s14 ka I would concider turbo, but for a low maintenence engine that comes already turbo, go with an SR.

And if you do your own bargaining and installation it shouldn't cost you more than $2,500. we did my friends for under $2,000 but I invested over $4,000 into mine. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
                            If I had a low mileage s14 ka I would concider turbo.
                            (Then remembers timing chain rattling and idle issues) nevermind

Comment

Originally posted by my 1 88 u
                              good luck finding a low mileage ka24de to be turbo'd. Not to knock that kit but you can find SR's for a very good price with under 40,000 miles on them, everyone can tune them, plenty of aftermarket support and proven in JGTC, D1GP, etc.. If I had a low mileage s14 ka I would concider turbo, but for a low maintenence engine that comes already turbo, go with an SR.

And if you do your own bargaining and installation it shouldn't cost you more than $2,500. we did my friends for under $2,000 but I invested over $4,000 into mine. You get what you pay for.
                              For around two thousand dollars you got a stock motor making sub 200whp numbers. It's all about value here - for around two thousand I'm getting 230whp. Not to mention a nice FMIC, all new parts, and the potential to make a lot more. If you just add a decent FMIC to your SR swap, you're looking at another thousand dollars or so, all said and done.

I also don't have to rebuild the valvetrain when I make more than 300hp - mine can take it.

In the end, I'm glad people are doing both. The more variety, a cooler car world we live in. Me, I like the KA-T. You like the SR, and that's cool too. Neither is a bad motor, and they're both cool setups. You get the JDM factor, I get a rarity factor.

It's all about the love, baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X