Drifting techniques for RWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifting techniques for RWD

wondering about various drift techniques you all use, using a rwd, id love to hear some, the best ive done is 270º spin right into my parking space when it was slick, name some here and how you did them, thanks

ok

u must be a Newbie???? well here they are

Kansei Drift- this is performed at race speeds, when entering a high speed corner a driver lifts his foot off the throttle while slightly turning into a corner to induce a mild over steer and then balances the drift through steering, braking and throttle motions. (note: the car that is being used for this style of drift should be a neutral balanced car therefore the over steer will be induce when this technique is applied, if the car plows through any turn this technique will not work)

Braking Drift- this is performed by braking before a corner while starting to turn in, vary the brake petal until loss of grip is obtained and then balance the over steer through steering and throttle motions.

Faint Drift- this is performed by rocking the car towards the opposite direction of a turn and then using the rebound of grip to throw the car into the normal cornering direction. (note: this is heavy rally racing technique used to change vehicle attitudes during cornering)

Clutch Kick- this is performed by depressing the clutch pedal on approach or during a mild drift, then pop the clutch under power to give a sudden jolt through the driveline to upset rear traction.

Shift Lock- this is performed by letting the revs drop upon downshift into a corner and then releasing the clutch to put stress on the driveline to slow the rear tires inducing over steer. (this is like pulling the E-brake through a turn - note: this is best to be performed in the wet to minimize damage to the driveline etc)

Side Brake Drift- this technique is very basic, pull the E-Brake or (side brake) to induce rear traction loss and balance drift through steering and throttle play. (note this can also be used to correct errors or fine tune drift angles)

Dirt Drop Drift- this is performed by dropping the rear tires off the road into the dirt to maintain or gain drift angle if losing power. (note: this technique is very useful for low horsepower cars, also good show move to produce a dirt rooster tail)

Jump Drift- in this technique the rear tire on the inside of a turn or apex is bounced over a rumble strip to help lose traction resulting in over steer.

Choku Dori- this is done by pulling the E-brake through a strait to start a high angel drift and to hold this angle to set up for the turn ahead. (note: this can only be done at high speed)

Manji- this is a slow swaying faint like drift where the rear end sways back and forth down a strait.

Power Over- this is performed when entering a corner and using full throttle to produce heavy over steer (tail slide) through a turn. (note: need horsepower to make this happen)

thanks drift club

Comment

Please check out www.driftsession.com

Click on the techniques.

Comment

i think the best way to learn is to find an empty carpark and just try starting by doing doughnuts. left and right handed. remember though, you dont need to be on the rev limiter and you do need a decent diff (LSD) that locks well. You can scuff the plates up by doing a few circles on full lock, left hand then right hand, that will help a little on a tired diff. start in 1st gear, put full lock on and give it throttle, i normally clutch kick (see above) when boost comes in, which steps the car out very quickly. Once you master that you can make the circles wider till you get to 2nd gear. In my old skyline i could sit at 4000rpm in second and do circles all day just tweaking the steering. The front of the car and direction is controlled with ur hands and the rear of the car with your feet, but the feeling from the rear (ie what its doing) comes fro your *Censored**Censored**Censored* haha

After that try small corners, low speed in 1st gear, harsh but work the speed up. Thats comes with confidence through practice!
        eventually you be locking up in 3rd on the brakes on entry! now that is fun

hope that helps!

Comment

If you haven't yet, pick up Drift Bible. It's extremely helpful.

Comment

the techniques on that are aimed more at race drift than showoff drift though! doesnt have clutch kick or handbrake drift on it! and in my experience they are the two most important/commonly used techniques for drift. It used to be thought of as unskillful to clutch kick to drift! so i would say dont watch it! watch drift tengoku VOL 4 with the nomenken wet special on it. east to pick up what they are getting at.

Comment

What? Drift Bible certainly has handbrake drift on it.

Comment

wierd? the version i saw had no clutch technique or handbrake drift in it? but it was a english dubbed one and did look very dated to me, ie drift style is a bit plain. is there like a new verision of the drift bible? Seems odd tho?

Comment

When hes drivinh the hachi, he does many handbrake drifts.

Comment

no i meant as an actual technique feature! like shift lock etc... handbrake is soooooo important when drifting! imagine choku dori without a hand brake? and clutch kick? what happens when power bogs down or you need to change angle? good old boot on the clutch and all is well again!

the techniques are ont there, but not explained. as in, for drift i would say they are the most important. especially on entry to a corner?

Comment

drift tengoku VOL 4 with the nomenken wet special? Drift Bible? yeah im a newbie, but where can i pick these up??

Comment

Can this car drift? na-turbo

What should I do to make it driftable??? I'm a newbie alright, just seeking for help. I do have sway bars, strut bars, eibach spring and tokico's, pushing about 1.2 bar 310 rwhp. I'm thinking of putting LSD Diff from a turbo supra, any advice???anybody? Thanks in advance...

Randy

Comment

well....

you car is nice!!!!! really all u need is a aftermarket lsd like a kaaz ,or tomei etc youre car as it sits right now i think is perfect great machine!

Comment

Anyone know where i can pick up the drifting bible and the other one?

Comment

Originally posted by D1Import2nr
                              Anyone know where i can pick up the drifting bible and the other one?
                              Do you have some japanese supermarket where you live? You can get it there.

If you dont have one.. ONLINE.. geez.. online people ..

or CHAS..

or www.drifting.com.
                              geez.. they're selling the drift bible for 19.99

ha ha

Comment

Working...
                              X