Go Back   DRIFTING.com > DRIFTING Technique > DRIFTING Technique Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to drift an automatic

This is a discussion on How to drift an automatic within the DRIFTING Technique Forum forums, part of the DRIFTING Technique category; Hello everyone, I am new on this forum and I live in Switzerland :-) I used to own a wrx ...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2004, 02:26 AM   #1
supraman

How to drift an automatic

Hello everyone,
I am new on this forum and I live in Switzerland :-)

I used to own a wrx and now I have a 95 TT Supra with automatic trans.
Here in europe we are not really used to automatic so I am afraid to wreck it.
Could someone explain me how to drift it ?
Would be very nice.

Happy Boost
supraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:30 AM   #2
Nightwalker

do yourself a favor and don't. Get a manual and do it right.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:03 AM   #3
supraman

If I could find one I would have buy it.
I know how to drift a FF, a RWD and a 4WD. Switzerland is the paradise for drifting. 60% of the road are montain road which are often close in Winter :-)
I have to recognize I have no experience with automatic at all.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2004, 08:11 AM   #4
S13_Steve
Auto-Dori MASTAH!

Send a message via AIM to S13_Steve
i just happen to get a auto 240 a while back... first thing to practice is donuts in low gear... mainly 1st or 2nd.... see how the car slides... but you have to know what kind of differential you have... open diff's tend to do better on left hand turn slides..... next try power over.... come into the corner ..jerk the wheel and floor it.... theres also feint drift which i wont go into explaining but i wouldnt recommend doing it in a car you just got.... never use the e brake.... its soo bad on the tranny i dont like it at all....
S13_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
[)rifterS13

sup supraman::

DO IT! Go drift your auto-Supra.. u can drift it just as well as u can with a 5-spd~

if "nightwalker" says not to then don't; obviously he seems to know alllll about drifting and contradicting himself in a thread he posted just before this one called::
"Hurry! go out and buy yourself a CIVIC!!! "

"http://my.so-net.net.tw/s3sport323/cv4.wmv"

"looks like you guys don't have to sell your civic to be part of the cool crowd anymore.

I'm going to sell my 240 and get me one of those!!!!"

bwahahaha dood, if drifting is being done in FF cars then I know for a fact it can be done just as good in a FR auto tranny vehicle too... so keep your auto-Supra
this video clip is me in my auto-240Silvia; a taste of what it takes- feinting method (aka scandanavian flick) skills~ enjoy.

http://www.samuraifiles.com/modules/.../no_ticket.avi

Last edited by [)rifterS13; 01-14-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:48 PM   #6
Phoen_x
2TN'D Racing Co-Founder

Send a message via AIM to Phoen_x
oh dam lol cop at the end. DId you get a ticket/citation or anything like that? Or did you give him you were practicing how to gain control of your car when it might lose traction and is bout to spin out? lol
Phoen_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:09 PM   #7
supraman

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot guys for all your advice :-)

Scandinavian flick is the method I used to do on montain road with the wrx or e-brake as well, I am happy that I can do this with an auto.
You can drift f***** bikes so why would it be impossible with an auto, no?

See you
Old 01-15-2004, 01:17 AM   #8
Nightwalker

you know the comment about buying the CIVIC was sarcasm right?

(sigh) yes, it's hard to convey it on the internet.

oh well, carry on.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:34 PM   #9
LoveMyGTS

Howdy R,
I dont come to this forum often, just once a month maybe and of course this thread intrigued me and found you showing off your auto drift .
Cop in the end couldnt do anything, because we were drifting at private property, all he could do was sit there and watch.
Supraman, keep your supra and keep trying.
LoveMyGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:46 PM   #10
PrOxLaMuS© S30
Z Car Freak (S30)

Send a message via AIM to PrOxLaMuS© S30
How to Drift an Automatic:

- Feint drift... do a weight transition... and give it some throttle

- Power Over.... turn hard... floor it... or give it alot of gas.. have fun

- E-Brake.... turn the car... wait for the car to actually turn.. and pull up the Ebrake until the back end slides out.. and give it throttle.

There is noting wrong with the E-Brake in an Automatic car. With a manual transmission.. you put in the CLUTCH disengaging the transmission from the ENGINE.

However, with an automatic transmission, the transmission is always disengaged from the engine and is never directly connected. Rather the torque converter allows the movement of the engine to transfer to the transmission.

When you pull up on the eBrake on an automatic transmission... your torque converter simply is still in use like it always is and doesn't put any strain on the engine.. except for the ability to push the driveshaft from the differential due to the pressure of the tires going sideways.

Puts your engine in a little bit more work.. but still works.. and doesn't damage it. It will however damage it over time... but hell... everything damages something over time. The wear is much less than an standard transmission.. due to the engagements from the clutch.. when you slam the throttle down and dump the clutch.

How do I know this? I have been drifting my Automatic 280Z now for over a year.
PrOxLaMuS© S30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #11
tallwer
User

Wink how to drift an automatic?

hi there...

I own an rx7 FD and an automatic Honda City 2005. Somehow I can now manage to handle and drift the FD using clutch kick and i still want to improve using other drift skills.

One time I had this conversation w my cousin about driftin' and bragged that it is possible to drift an automatic. (I know its possible) He knew that i can drift the FD but now he's daring me to prove my statement. that's why i'm trying to drift the auto. But i can't seem to get it. Hope you could help me guys... Thanks!

I really want to know how to drift an automatic...
tallwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
zerodrifter

Send a message via AIM to zerodrifter
use them brakes.. anything is possible
zerodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #13
J-Rod

See what you do is ummmm, make it a manual and get serious!
That way on the history of the vehicle it will always be an automatic...Therefore you drifted an automatic

Of course you can slide anything around but I mean NOBODY is going to take you seriously with an automatic
J-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #14
shmately350z
We can use him for soup!

simplify

E-brake, then counter, there's really not that big of a difference between auto and manual, especially with a tiptronic trans. Your just missing a pedal, thats all. People tend to forget that a car is a car, regardless of what trans it has, and all cars drift. I drove an auto 350z for a couple of laps a few years ago and people said I looked better in it than in my (at the time)stock 350z, the jerks. The auto car did have quite a few more mods than my car at the time, it was great. But all cars are different, so you must learn what works. So you can't clutch kick, that sucks but your gonna half to deal with it. You can try putting it into neutral for a moment and then slamming it into drive, that actually worked once today. Not relying on clutch kicks will help you in the long run because you will have to maintain more speed, take better lines and give more throttle than a car than can rely on a clutch kick to save it from straighting out.....unless you have decent power, which I don't have in my auto KA s14, viscous diff with 18's(245/45) and coils, but it can still make it around the loop at the balcony.....barely, I need power, or more rain, snow is good too.
shmately350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #15
tallwer
User

Wink drifting an AT

Thanks to the advice... esp. the one you gave "shmately350z." That's way too cool. I almost gave up on drifting AT's. Well i better try ur advice about "putting it into neutral for a moment and then slamming it into drive" i think that would work. Still i'll be more serious with my FD. I think MT still rules.

By the way will i encounter losing tire grip easily with the AT's front tires? Are there any easy techniques on preserving my tires both in AT nd MT? well i'm still in my basics.. hope to hear and learn more from you guys... thanks!
tallwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:09 AM   #16
highflyers

Cool

The answers to whether a auto can drift or not has been explained in many forums. If you don't have a manual, then I guess you can powerslide your auto preferrably a rear wheel drv auto.. A Fwd is can slide usually at higher speeds e.g 80km/hr onwards.

Its a preferred people's choice to drift with a manual because to a certain stage you do clutch kicks which beautify drifts and need not slow down speed. If you do handbrake drifts and powerovers, go ahead with your auto.. Haven you wonder why D1 hasn got any auto drifts category...?

And you mention you just started drifting and mountain roads is definitely a no-no... Why not track it then togue it?

Just my concerns.Thank u
Old 02-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #17
shmately350z
We can use him for soup!

Drift cars have used semi-autos(sequential) trannys for a few years now. There's no need for a separate category, cars are cars. I'm sure that with a good setup, someone could be competitive with a auto car with tiptronics. Clutch, smutch.

The need for clutch kicking depends on the car. If you have good low end torque then there in no need for a clutch kick. It's all these turbo cars that really need that clutch kick to keep the rear end stepping out predictably.(damn lag) It all comes down to what car it is and what setup it has. Before I had my turbo kit installed on the Z, I never clutch kicked, even entering the bank at irrwindale. Now with the turbo I need to clutch kick every time to get the rear end to roll out right when I want it too, the response in not instant like with the stock engine.

Last edited by shmately350z; 02-27-2008 at 02:39 PM.
shmately350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #18
minezs14

Man my girl has a auto s14 and i drift dat car almost as gud as i do my m.t. s14 .. da only thing i do different is use inertia with da a.t. swing it at gud speed it slides den u hit da throttle to keep it going . and her car is pretty much stock it has just a few bolt ons.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:55 AM   #19
Codris14

Unhappy I have a 1995 s14 automatic just bought it a week ago

Hi i have a 95 nissan s14that is auto and I would like to kno how can i drift it like that i try to do it but whats the better way does the e brake work ..? Pls i need some advice
Codris14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #20
G-Mac

I own a 1988 Toyota Celica SX ST162
It has a 3S-GE 2.0L Twin Cam engine, 5sp Auto, FF Drive Layout
And I to would like to learn how to drift in it at the moment I use the E-Brake technique but I've herd of a technique called Left foot Braking and would love to learn more about it.
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #21
Boyracer

It's braking with your left foot! This keeps your right foot free to use the accelerator. A load of top racing drivers do it, especially in cars with semi-automatic gearboxes.

Mostly used by me in a RWD drift car to slow down into a tight corner whilst keeping the back wheels spinning if, for some reason, I can't just pull the handbrake (it's a BMW and the handbrake is rubbish) or shift-lock (I'm in second and don't fancy trying to change down into my way-low first). I'm rubbish at it.

But all this is missing the point G-Mac, you said you would like to learn how to drift in a front-wheel drive car. Unfortunately that's pretty much impossible. All you will be doing is handbrake turns, there is no way to balance a FWD on the power because it drags its *Censored**Censored**Censored* straight. Sell it, get a RWD car and weld the diff (or get a fancy 2-way or something) and then you can start to learn.
Boyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #22
the prince

do a neutral banger and keep doing that till u total your car than get a manual
the prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #23
Ekun

Send a message via Skype™ to Ekun
Handbrake and Feint drift is your friend also helps if you have a V8 when you are drifting a Auto
Ekun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #24
Piner

Send a message via AIM to Piner
plain and simple, get a manual trans and install it. Done and done.

Fixes all problems
Piner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #25
marcus falden

Send a message via AIM to marcus falden
Yeha a lot of power helps but I can drift my Z4 fine even though its steptronic, i did install a welded diff so that changed the car completely.
marcus falden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
can you drift with an automatic, drift an automatic, drift automatic, drifting an automatic, how to drift, how to drift an automatic, how to initiate a drift in automatic car

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: