Go Back   DRIFTING.com > DRIFTING Technique > DRIFTING Technique Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drifting a SC300 or SC400

This is a discussion on Drifting a SC300 or SC400 within the DRIFTING Technique Forum forums, part of the DRIFTING Technique category; What would be easier to drift a SC300 with a 2JZGET or a SC400 with a 2JZGET? if any is ...

Old 09-30-2004, 07:40 PM   #1
SC300

Send a message via AIM to SC300
Drifting a SC300 or SC400

What would be easier to drift a SC300 with a 2JZGET or a SC400 with a 2JZGET? if any is possible..i don't know im just trying to find a some what unique drift car. If anyone has any experience or any insight. please let me know..thanks
SC300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:01 PM   #2
Spy001

Send a message via AIM to Spy001 Send a message via Yahoo to Spy001
one of my best friends learned on an 86 and now has an sc400 body with the sc300 engine and manual tranny in it, he throws it around like its nothing...so if youve got the skill.....
Spy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
SC300

yea but i heard that the 400 is heavier...and wouldn't it be cheaper to get a 300 newaz?
Old 09-30-2004, 09:52 PM   #4
Spy001

Send a message via AIM to Spy001 Send a message via Yahoo to Spy001
im not really sure, i think it might just be heavier due to the larger engine, and yes, it would probably be cheaper to get 300, the reason he did it is because he found a 300 for very cheap with a facked up body and a perfect engine with manual tranny, and a 400 with a facked up engine and a perfect body, so....... good luck with everything keep us posted i love seein 300s thrown around the track
Spy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:58 PM   #5
SC300

yea no prob..thanx alot for the info..i dunno to much about driftin soarers as all u jdmers would like to call it..so if anyone knows anything else about 300's n 400's driftin i would really like some insight..thanx
Old 10-01-2004, 12:14 AM   #6
doriboi86

Re: Drifting a SC300 or SC400

Quote:
Originally posted by SC300
What would be easier to drift a SC300 with a 2JZGET or a SC400 with a 2JZGET? if any is possible..i don't know im just trying to find a some what unique drift car. If anyone has any experience or any insight. please let me know..thanks
There is a reason why they call it a SC"300" and a SC"400". 300 means it has a 3 liter engine and 400 means a 4 liter (duh). Both cars use different engines of course. What you're asking is one in the same. An SC400 with a 2JZGET engine and a SC300 with a 2JZGET engine would be the same right? BTW, its called a 2JZ-GTE. The 2JZ-GTE is a 3.0 liter inline 6(the infamous Supra engine). The SC400's engine is called the 1UZ-FE, it's a 4.0 liter V8. Most of the SC series are auto, there were only a few that were manual. The manual was only equipped with a 2JZ-GE(NO TURBO) from the years of 92-95. So you probably wanna get that.
doriboi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 02:15 AM   #7
dplxy

or u can think abt this car

saw it on autotrader

Link Here
dplxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 06:09 AM   #8
Sideways Spanky

Send a message via AIM to Sideways Spanky
Whoa. I know I've seen that car on many a messageboard. That's a hell of a deal for that kind of car.

And if you really have plans to buy a car, and aren't some kid sitting in high school, you're better off finding a used SC and then just swapping a 2JZ-GTE (god) engine into it. Make sure that you get the Supra six-speed, or the SC transmission is going to burn up faster than a McDonalds hamburger, especially if the engine is modified. And you're going to need alot of money, time, money, and luck to find one of those engines intact.

Here's one.

Last edited by Sideways Spanky; 10-01-2004 at 06:12 AM.
Sideways Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 06:21 PM   #9
Wayne

Send a message via AIM to Wayne
Quote:
Originally posted by Sideways Spanky

And if you really have plans to buy a car, and aren't some kid sitting in high school,
wow im a kid sitting in highschool and i take offense to that. whats wrong with a kid sitting in highschool ? i am just as justifeid to be in this scene as you are. i work my *Censored**Censored**Censored* of tryint to learn car control and how to drift and comments like these really lower my self esteem. thanks alot i feel |___| that big now. are you happy if thats your goal. p.s. me and ken gushi are about the same age ? you tell him not to do his dream cuz hes high school age, i think not. i worked hard for my car and everything i put on it (RIP) and my new car is going to have work put into too so bite me

(im sorry to get off topic mods, but i hate posts like this, just cuz im in highschool doesnt mean i dont deserve anything i have)
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:03 PM   #10
Velvet
I <3 Aiko Tanaka

Send a message via AIM to Velvet
I think there is more forced induction kits on the market for the SC300 than the SC400. It will be, as they say where I am from, "Gangster" to drift a Lexus! I too thought about it, but where I come from the driving age is 18 and im 16. Just make sure that when you get that SC300 or 400 make sure you make the proper upgrades that will make the car last through the stresses of drifting. It will save you time and money in the long run when u wanna go all out with your car or do further mods to it.

Be safe and good luck!
Velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 10:03 PM   #11
Sideways Spanky

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BlueDragon871
[B]wow im a kid sitting in highschool and i take offense to that.
whats wrong with a kid sitting in highschool ? i am just as justifeid to be in this scene as you are. i work my *Censored**Censored**Censored* of tryint to learn car control and how to drift and comments like these really lower my self esteem. thanks alot i feel |___| that big now. are you happy if thats your goal. p.s. me and ken gushi are about the same age ? you tell him not to do his dream cuz hes high school age, i think not. i worked hard for my car and everything i put on it (RIP) and my new car is going to have work put into too so bite me

Nothing is wrong with being in highschool, and I didn't say anything of the sort. I'm just sick of fourteen year on all of the differen't forums asking stuff like "Should I get a Enzo or a Gallardo for my first drifting car?" "What coil-overs should I get when I finally get a car?" "I was wondering what you guys would think: will altezza lights or a neon underglow kit make my car drift better?" I know how you feel. I worked until I was seventeen until I could afford my first car, a Mazda RX-7 Turbo II. I worked nights, weekends, and holidays while kids came into IHOP and laughed at me, fresh out of their brand-new, parent-bought Camaro SS and Mustang Cobra's. I have never accepted anyones financial help to buy any car or my house, and I've owned an MKIV Supra Turbo, an MKIII Supra Turbo, a Nissan 350Z, and a Ferarri 328 GTS. I grew up poor, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone else that works their butt off to get to where they want to be. I never laughed at you or Ken Gushi, and I know he is young. Maybe I phrased my comment wrong. I meant to say, if you're not driving, don't just ask questions to waste our time.

blue
Old 10-02-2004, 12:36 AM   #12
doriboi86

I have a lot of respect for people who grew up poor and then became a success. I hope to be one of those people someday. Unlike Bill Gates, dropped out of a Ivy League college and stole other peoples' ideas, threaten to make a monopoly, and try to compete with the gaming world which he doesnt make profit from. Well thats a different story. Best luck to all of you.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:11 AM   #13
Wayne

Send a message via AIM to Wayne
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sideways Spanky
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueDragon871
wow im a kid sitting in highschool and i take offense to that.
whats wrong with a kid sitting in highschool ? i am just as justifeid to be in this scene as you are. i work my *Censored**Censored**Censored* of tryint to learn car control and how to drift and comments like these really lower my self esteem. thanks alot i feel |___| that big now. are you happy if thats your goal. p.s. me and ken gushi are about the same age ? you tell him not to do his dream cuz hes high school age, i think not. i worked hard for my car and everything i put on it (RIP) and my new car is going to have work put into too so bite me

Nothing is wrong with being in highschool, and I didn't say anything of the sort. I'm just sick of fourteen year on all of the differen't forums asking stuff like "Should I get a Enzo or a Gallardo for my first drifting car?" "What coil-overs should I get when I finally get a car?" "I was wondering what you guys would think: will altezza lights or a neon underglow kit make my car drift better?" I know how you feel. I worked until I was seventeen until I could afford my first car, a Mazda RX-7 Turbo II. I worked nights, weekends, and holidays while kids came into IHOP and laughed at me, fresh out of their brand-new, parent-bought Camaro SS and Mustang Cobra's. I have never accepted anyones financial help to buy any car or my house, and I've owned an MKIV Supra Turbo, an MKIII Supra Turbo, a Nissan 350Z, and a Ferarri 328 GTS. I grew up poor, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone else that works their butt off to get to where they want to be. I never laughed at you or Ken Gushi, and I know he is young. Maybe I phrased my comment wrong. I meant to say, if you're not driving, don't just ask questions to waste our time.

blue

oh alright see i respect that. i completely agree with you, i hope you dont think i attacked you, i guess i just misunderstood your comment. thanks for replying like that and not flaming because i misunderstood you.

have a great day
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 11:40 AM   #14
DriftingNewbie
poser

I have also been thinking about getting a sc300 after college (only three more years ) and I have read alot on them and I have found a lot of parts. But I am still haveing problems trying to find suspension parts. Sure, coilovers and sway bars arn't hard to find, but has anyone been able to locate swaybar end links, tie rods, etc. ?
DriftingNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 11:19 PM   #15
ausdrifter

Drift thre sc300 than you dont have the weight like the sc400 v8
Old 10-03-2004, 07:11 PM   #16
AlexPfeiffer
Driver

I currently have a SC300 5 speed and im converting it to drift spec. There are a few companies that sell turbo kits for the car so its pretty easy to get it up to speed. And i may add alot cheeper then buying a supra and alot lower profile when it comes to cops. They see a lexus and they dont think that its modified. So far all ive got is the LSD but ive got the turbo kit on order and should be getting the clutch this week. Then a set of coil overs and it should be ready for some fun.
AlexPfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:19 PM   #17
doriboi86

How does the car handle Alex?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:03 AM   #18
Sideways Spanky

Here is some stuff I found for the SC300/400.

Some Stuff

Some More Stuff

P.S.: Most of the stuff that works for the Supra Non-Turbo will work for the SC300
Old 10-04-2004, 11:25 PM   #19
drunkcarlos

Wow everyone wants to get a sc300 these days... what is the sudden attraction to them now... for years no one (I don't mean no one, but not many people rather) wanted anything to do with them but recently ...within the last 2 years boom ... Its cool I guess means more 240's for everyone else I guess.

Anyways the SC300 is a great base.... but for a beginner car its a little hard. But with the basic components (diff/sus/etc...) it makes a really good race car (just needs to go on a diet). Anyone coming from a AE86 to a SC will have absolutlely no difficulty making the transisition. I love mine and hardly miss my old AE86 these days. Just remember this is an expensive car to build up... parts aren't as available as they are for 240's but I think its an alternative. In any event... good luck building up the SC's over there.

Alex, you gonna start racing the SC instead of the AE86?
drunkcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:30 AM   #20
Darkstar
Post idiot

If you plan on swapping a 2JZ-GTE, think it over again, bercause there's a nice engine that's also great... And that's 1JZ. It has 2.5l displacement, but still has those twin Hitachi CT-12 (not sure about that) turbos, and has 280 horses at the flywheel. There's a lot of aftermarket support (some of the 2JZ parts will fit the 1JZ, and JUN makes most of the necesarry internals for it) and it would be easier to swap in than the 2JZ, as you don't need to convert the J-Spec Supra computer to work on it - it will work with a 2.5TT Soarer ECU. Match it with an Mk. IV Getrag V161 tranny and you'll make a really great car, that's one of my personal favourites.
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:16 AM   #21
slideways2004

i wanna do this to. i have been thinking about it for years. but i have no money and i'm too busy trying to get money for my current project onevia!

2jz's sound sexy, does the 1jz sound similar?
my next project is either soarer or rbs14, or maybe both
slideways2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 10:28 AM   #22
_PG_
Got a date with Lady Luck

1JZ is such a beautiful engine.... sounds so great, revs so smooth makes so much power...

A new exh. mani and a TD06 or something similar would be allll you would ever need on a 1JZ (i'm sure getting larger injectors too). Then boost controller, exhaust, etc. I know of a couple making 400 hp+ like that... just turbo upgrade and small little things.

1JZGTE late models with VVT-i are possible my favorite engines. Its whats in teh JZX110 Mark II and Verossa, for instance.
_PG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 06:04 AM   #23
slideways2004

ueno's soarer has the 1jz right?
does the 2jz-ge and 2jz-gte weigh about the same?
slideways2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:29 AM   #24
DriftGirl
HighSider

- Theres not a big weight difference between the 300 and 400 ( get the 300 )
- There are a million companies that make parts for them. suspension parts, turbo set-ups (for the 300)
- Theres not a big 'need' for a 2jz...Pimp factor: Yes
- 1JZ is not really a USDM Lexus swap option. Would be a waste of time and money, when you can turbo the I6 engine thats in there and get more power..If you are looking for more than that, the 2Jz is the only way to go.

- Parts aint cheap. If you're coming into the 'Lexus scene' from the 240sx,AE86 or Honda world, then you're in for a big surpri$e.

Enjoy!

Last edited by DriftGirl; 10-06-2004 at 09:01 AM.
DriftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:20 AM   #25
Darkstar
Post idiot

Ueno's Soarer has a 2JZ motor... And a nice HKS turbo inside. It doesn't lack power of you ask me
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sc300 drift build, sc300 for drifting, sc300 or sc400, sc400 for drifting

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: