Go Back   DRIFTING.com > General Forum > General Chat (DRIFTING Discussion/News and SITE Updates)
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

how much Hosepower does a drift car really need?

Poll: Should I drop the Sr20det?
Poll Options
Should I drop the Sr20det?

This is a discussion on how much Hosepower does a drift car really need? within the General Chat (DRIFTING Discussion/News and SITE Updates) forums, part of the General Forum category; How much do you really need cause i'm thinking about dropping a SR20DET into my car and all the upgrades ...

Old 01-27-2004, 05:49 PM   #1
DriftingShadow

how much Hosepower does a drift car really need?

How much do you really need cause i'm thinking about dropping a SR20DET into my car and all the upgrades i want to put on it would put it up to about 450 hp

should i or shouldn't i?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:14 PM   #2
hachiroku-fc3s

Send a message via Yahoo to hachiroku-fc3s
How long have you been drifting and what do you know about the SR? Makes a difference. Would you be doing the work yourself? Why do you want 450hp? What are you going to be doing with the car? Is it a daily drifter? Weekend warrior?

Read all four pages of this thread.

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...2&goto=newpost
hachiroku-fc3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:31 PM   #3
CrazyHawaiian
Sample One Time!!

More power is a double edged sword. When you are learning, I would consider it a disadvantage because throttle control becomes so much more important. When you are good, its definately an advantage because you can hold the drift longer on throttle. IMO you dont need alot of power to drift. There are so many techniques to kick it out, the ammount of power you have does not matter. Once the rear tires have lost traction, even a low ammount of power will keep the tires spinning. The minimum ammount of power needed would depend on your tires, so it will varry. Alot of our local drifters have under 200hp/tq and they still drift fine. You definately dont need to swap in a SR motor to drift, the stock KA is more than capable. My original drift car only had a rated 175 hp, probably like 135hp at the wheels. But it was also rated at 250 ft/lbs of torque, which I would guesstimate equals around 190 tq to the wheels. This was enough to drift .... but now I want more ...
CrazyHawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
shimos

Send a message via AIM to shimos
You don't need horsepower to drift. What you lack in horsepower you can make up for with momentum. The SR20 is a good engine, but it won't work miracles. You should spend the money on tires and practice if you really want to drift. When your progress is limited by the mechanics of your machine, you might think about a swap then.

Some of our best guys in Hawaii, the ones that you usually see on videos or in magazines, only have a little over 100 hp at the wheels.
shimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:11 PM   #5
Ghost of Duluth
Sixgun

Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Duluth
Agrees with Hawaii. Spend that money more wisely. I say you should just start with bone stock everything. As you grow, grow your car with you. Think of it as dating. If you screw the girl on the first date,a relationship is doomed, but ahhhh if you go into it gradually then a whole new world opens up to you. Such is the same with cars. 450 HP on the first date = doomed drift car.
Ghost of Duluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 12:12 AM   #6
PearlWhiteMike
Curb Molester

Send a message via AIM to PearlWhiteMike
everyone is right about not needing so much power. it'd be wiser to spend that money on something like suspension parts or differential, wheel/tire, etc.

however as you get better youll get to the point where more power will benefit you instead of hurting you. it'll definitely hurt you without alot of skill though

and just because those big japanese tuner cars run 450hp regularly on an sr20det doesnt mean you can do it easily and especially not cheaply. they all use built race motors by pros who do it all day.
PearlWhiteMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 07:08 AM   #7
hachiroku-fc3s

Now duluth is posting relationship advise.

Quote:
450 HP on the first date = doomed drift car.
and a doomed date. Ive scared a lot of passengers in my time. But it is a good way to weed out those girls who wont understand you.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:26 AM   #8
Nismo_r34

Horsepower doesn't really matter in drifting. Skill is.
Nismo_r34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:39 AM   #9
nrgdrft

220-300 is perfect.any more is just making it easyer.
nah just trow this beast in yo
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #10
clutch
it works!

Arrow yo foo

trick yo SR20 air sucka with da hks cams r32 skyline gtr intercooler wit yo east bear pipin kit hks intake koyo radiator trust oil coola wit yo filta relocation kit yo nismo caps yall sportin 3 inch blitz downpipe catco cat apexi gt spec exhaust apexi power FC wit yo nismo injectaz n walboro fuel pump apexi boost controlla turbo timah n blowoff valv niggas got 250HPs at 8 psi
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 10:13 AM   #11
Ghost of Duluth
Sixgun

Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Duluth
I'm chock full of advice. Too bad most normal girls get sick or violent when you sling them around in a car. Bah stupid girls.
Ghost of Duluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 10:37 AM   #12
nrgdrft

*Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*, jun cam gears,ikea formula inlet manifold,blitz injectors,skyline fuel pump,hks drag core fmic,trust rad.,no oil cooler,to expensive,filter kit,turbonetics manual boost controller,and strait back ti exhaust,yea good for 250+ on sr dub

also reliable
Old 01-28-2004, 11:33 AM   #13
hachiroku-fc3s

Funny, all of the informative posts say to not swap, but the poll says swap. Hmm....
Old 01-28-2004, 11:38 AM   #14
VashTheStampede

Send a message via AIM to VashTheStampede
Horsepower isnt what you need, its skill.

-Vash, Trance God.
VashTheStampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 01:37 PM   #15
DriftingShadow

what if i just drop the sr20 with just internal mods and stuff like a new intercooler

and i am studying drift bibl and a few other sources on drifting techinques
Old 01-28-2004, 02:00 PM   #16
nissanguy_24

Quote:
Originally posted by shimos
You should spend the money on tires and practice if you really want to drift. When your progress is limited by the mechanics of your machine, you might think about a swap then.
Took the words right out of my mouth.. but if you must spend money, get your 240sx a Limited slip differential.
nissanguy_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:11 PM   #17
DriftingShadow

I got good tires and an LSD and i practice every saturday
Old 01-28-2004, 05:16 PM   #18
nissanguy_24

good good, just keep practicing man, when you feel that you need more power to take it to the next level, then upgrade the engine.. but until then just keep tires on it. maybe look into suspension upgrades, that kind of thing.

anyways its your car and it sounds like your not exactly a newbie, so do whatever it is you feel like you should

but you should feel like you have to go to a sr20 in your 240 to make power. although it is one viable ways to do it.

in the end its based on your preferance.
nissanguy_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:56 PM   #19
DriftingShadow

I got my LSD right after i got my car.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:01 PM   #20
Chas

The amount you need is the amount you feel best with.
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:18 PM   #21
PearlWhiteMike
Curb Molester

Send a message via AIM to PearlWhiteMike
but if you aint got no drift car youre goin nowhere, right chas?
PearlWhiteMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:58 PM   #22
DriftingShadow

if your gonna drift you need a drift car
Old 02-01-2004, 07:43 PM   #23
driftmunky
Really FreakinAwesome Yo!

Send a message via AIM to driftmunky
spend the extra $$ to get a LSD and good suspension and tires. as more how much power you need, like most other things in drifting its....

PERSONAL PREFERENCE

sorry, just felt like making that huge, just wanted to get the point across that alot of things in drifting especially have to do with what feels good to you. no one can exactly say whats good for you. thats your to you, yourself, and....you i guess, i mean how would you make I third person.....anyway....
driftmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:39 PM   #24
lucienz

for drifting you should be able to get out however much horspower you need with a ka. but puting an sr20 would be cool and give you bragging rights
lucienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 09:37 AM   #25
hachiroku-fc3s

Quote:
Originally posted by lucienz
but puting an sr20 would be cool and give you bragging rights
Why do you street racing honda drivers keep talking. You make me pull my hair out. One, drifters dont get bragging rights. Drifting is about skill, so the only way you get it is by being awesome. Usually someone that has put the time and effort required to do such is pretty humble and does it for reasons other than BRAGGING RIGHTS (wtf?) Two, you dont get to brag if you dont know what you are doing. If you want an SR (and have a good reason, meaning one other than "all the guys on drifting.com like the SR"), get one. Doesnt mean you get to brag, it means you have the engine you want and will work for you. If you get an engine so you can brag, you dont know what you just did. All right. Had to vent. Man I was gunna start being nice too. Drifting is not street racing. Quit treating it like such.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: