Go Back   DRIFTING.com > General Forum > General Chat (DRIFTING Discussion/News and SITE Updates)
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Supra drifting

This is a discussion on Supra drifting within the General Chat (DRIFTING Discussion/News and SITE Updates) forums, part of the General Forum category; ME. i been thinking, why havent i heard much about the potential for a supra drifting? Maybe cause i live ...

Old 07-19-2003, 08:41 PM   #1
nuclear_turtle
Supra Drift

Send a message via Yahoo to nuclear_turtle
Lightbulb Supra drifting

ME. i been thinking, why havent i heard much about the potential for a supra drifting? Maybe cause i live in the boonies, or maybe im stupid(i believe its the second one ) Rwd, good horse power, and good looking, plus its a toyota. Sure nissan is taking over drifting with 240sx's. I mean mustangs can drift. why not a supra? I've seen a video of a yellow JUN supra drifting, it cool. Any supra drifters on this site?? reply!
Attached Images

nuclear_turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 09:01 PM   #2
nuclear_turtle
Supra Drift

Talking

MKIII seems like a good car to drift with. You know bring some old school flavor to it. MKIV look like good cars to use. Power with those are high so i see no reason not to use one.

Reply!
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2003, 12:33 AM   #3
7akumi X

Send a message via AIM to 7akumi X Send a message via Yahoo to 7akumi X
Alot of people drift supras that can afford it....its a pretty expensive car, and god knows your gonna make mistakes drifting so why fack up a supra when you could fack up a 240. At the drift showoff a driver from RS-R had a nice supra.
7akumi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 11:28 AM   #4
nuclear_turtle
Supra Drift

Talking

yea i saw that supra on the drifting mag. pretty pimp wasnt it?
Old 07-20-2003, 04:23 PM   #5
7akumi X

Send a message via AIM to 7akumi X Send a message via Yahoo to 7akumi X
The one on the front was a 350z...lol cant reanember if they pictured the RS-R drift supra. Look in the "Gallery" for a desktop photo of a supra.
7akumi X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:40 PM   #6
JonnySlick

Location: Just Moved to Crossville, TN from Las Vegas ... wow what a change!
Send a message via Yahoo to JonnySlick
yeah a lot of drifters in japan use the mk 3 and quite a few mk 4's. but the supra is best suited to do wangan battle. heavy weight is good for 300km runs, not the best for drift, but can still be used. they're also expensive to destroy. if i had a mk3 or 4 it would be straight up wangan. drift in all about the 240sx, rx7, and other middle and light weight cars....not that the heavy's can't hang...just takes a lot more skill.
JonnySlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:43 PM   #7
nuclear_turtle
Supra Drift

i realized that that was the one of the cover bout 3 seconds after i posted it. i was hopeing no one would noticed
Old 07-20-2003, 07:47 PM   #8
nuclear_turtle
Supra Drift

MKIII

yea well im not a rich kid. my parents cant afford to buy me a car. MKIII is something i could afford. Are they as heavy as the MKIV? i dont think they are. MKIII is what I want, or a 1994 toyota celica. arent those RWD? oh well tell me which would be better MKIII or an older celica.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:40 PM   #9
Drift-Induced

Send a message via ICQ to Drift-Induced Send a message via Yahoo to Drift-Induced
yah, its pricey!

I read sumplace once that to use a supra for drift:
It can be done (obviously) and is great to see/try...BUT its "heavy" or "bulky" handling is a down side....I'm not sure about its weight distribution either, perhaps that was another "X" against it too....just like how u dont see many Skylines drifting...they fatasses....not dat i wouldnt take one!
Drift-Induced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:11 AM   #10
JonnySlick

Re: MKIII

Quote:
Originally posted by nuclear_turtle
yea well im not a rich kid. my parents cant afford to buy me a car. MKIII is something i could afford. Are they as heavy as the MKIV? i dont think they are. MKIII is what I want, or a 1994 toyota celica. arent those RWD? oh well tell me which would be better MKIII or an older celica.
yeah the mk3 is a heavy mofo too! around the 3200lb mark if i'm not mistaken. gvw is like 4200lbs (car + load capacity).

i think the weight balance is ok on these cars (they drift them a lot in japan) but if you're learning i wouldn't suggest it. i'd say stick with the old school celica or mk2 supra or an old corolla gt-s (ae86). that's if you wanna' stay toyota...if you're not brand loyal, then look at 240sx, FC, mx-5, fairladys...etc.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:23 AM   #11
Dori Star
humping hachiroku's!

Send a message via AIM to Dori Star
hachi's and 240's are for kids on a budget... ...like me
Dori Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:08 AM   #12
JonnySlick

same here bro, same here...

'cept i'm riding the mx-5 LOL>
Old 07-21-2003, 10:57 AM   #13
nuclear_turtle
Supra Drift

yea i cant afford an older RX-7 cause it eats gas. 240 is what im thinking about, I really want an older celica. MKIII supras are cool. I didnt know they were that heavy, MKIV supras are so pimp. Celica is what im looking at or a MKIII supra. oh well peace homies
Old 07-21-2003, 01:56 PM   #14
Statik

Send a message via AIM to Statik
You guys watch Chasers, Soarers, and 4 door Skylines drift in Professional compeitition in every option episode you see. You you guys put a heavy emphasis on weight. In most cases if you use a big car as long as you match the power to weight ratio with the smaller cars you'll be fine. On really tight courses the bigger cars are a little harder to handle, but if you get good enough for that to hinder you you'll probably learn how to drive the car on a tight course.

Statik
Statik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:58 PM   #15
marshun
stop spreading disinfo

Send a message via AIM to marshun
Quote:
Originally posted by Statik
You guys watch Chasers, Soarers, and 4 door Skylines drift in Professional compeitition in every option episode you see. You you guys put a heavy emphasis on weight. In most cases if you use a big car as long as you match the power to weight ratio with the smaller cars you'll be fine. On really tight courses the bigger cars are a little harder to handle, but if you get good enough for that to hinder you you'll probably learn how to drive the car on a tight course.

Statik
yeah but to compensate for the weight you'll need some wider tires to get you through the turns a bit faster. and wider tires means more money!

and i've only seen one 4dr skyline in the D1 battles. Nomuken's skyline. and ueno's (sp?) soarer.
marshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:56 AM   #16
Statik

What size tires do you think there running on the S13's? Smalles set of rims i've seen on Koguichi's car was a 17x9. With what I believe was a 245 falken on it. Theres alot of ways to setup a car, but people haggle over the smaller issues instead of the biggest issue which is skill. Buy a RWD car and drive it, Biggest part about getting better is practice.

Statik
Old 07-22-2003, 03:41 AM   #17
emission

Send a message via AIM to emission
Drifting supra?!?! lol, Sure I drift my supra. But trust me these cars are a pain to find parts for, why because there really rare nowadays. shoot i know. Last month I drifted my supra into a concrete post, damaged a fender and nicked the door. but most of the damage was to the rear sub frame. alot of cash!!! im glad california is one of the most popular supra state. I save money buying salvaged parts and doing repairs on my own time.

but as for handleing it sucks major booty. Im finding my self pulling just about everything out. and about 5 gallons of fuel.
well since signal auto is near my area. i should pay them a vist and have them show me what i need done. I drifts fine trough short turns, but huge turns I have problems completeing.

94' celica's came front wheel drive. japan had the gt-4 4wd
emission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:52 AM   #18
JonnySlick

Quote:
Originally posted by Statik

Statik
1st: i realize all that. what i'm saying is that you need more skill to drift a heavier car (which the starter of this thread sounds like they may be lacking as they may be a newbie...i'm just making an assumption here). anyways, you can still learn in a supra if it's your first drifter, i just think that it would be easier in a lighter car at first. if you have mad skills you can drift anything though.

2nd: i think the supra could get to be a very expensive drifter esp. the mk4 just b/c of the price of parts (new and used). 240sx, FC, and usually corollas can be had cheap as so can their parts....sure can you invest a ton of money into a 240 or FC? sure, there's pleanty of expensive parts for them as well, but you can still find a lot of reasonable parts for them as well. i think it's hard to find cheap body panels, suspension, and engine parts for the supra (esp the mk4 turbo).

anyway, that's all i was saying...sure you can drift a supra, yes you can learn on it for your first drifter even....but in my opinion i think there are more cost effective cars at first.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:25 AM   #19
Statik

Not really the local pick your part is littered with MKIII chassis just as it is FC's. It's actually harder to find S13 body panels then MKIII panels IMHO. The MKIV is better compared with the FD and at no point was i reffering to that car. It's actually easier to drift the Supra then most of the other named cars. The car in turbo form already has a good amount of power which gives you more options in technique out of the box. You'll never see someone buy a stock 240, NA FC, or Rolla and start doing power overs it would be nice but the car just isnt going to do it. The only car that puts out similar power for a similar price in stock form is the Turbo FC, The 7M motors had there headgasket issues but thats a walk in the park compared to some of the crap TII owners deal with. Also check the autotrader and see how many Turbo MA70's you find compared to Tubo FC's you'll see the FC is falling on the rather rare side. Now back to ease of drift, We've already declared that the power of the Supra out the box beats all of our other choices and the ideal chassis is much easier to find then a Turbo FC. Now lets add the factor of the cars length which is something really important when learning to drift. The longer feel of the chassis makes the car easier to hangout as you can feel the car slide out better. In a short base chassis like a NA/NB the car pivots really quick needing much more attention to how fast the car is pivoting and quicky you can counter steer. Best way to think about it is to take the shortest pencil you can find and the longest pencil. Then put them on a dusty table, hold the tip of both pencils and turn them 90 degrees as so the eraser of them drags on the table. When you move the pencils you's have a 90 degree arc in the dust. Although the degree of the arc is the same, the distance will be different. The distance from the long pencil would be all the more room you get to play with if you had a longer wheel base car. The idea of whether drifting long base cars looks more dynamic is arguable as its a opinion but i personally think it does. Seeing a 4 door sedan go from complete counter lock in one direction to complete counter lock in the other direction looks alot more dramatic then watching a S platform do it.

Statik

Last edited by Statik; 07-22-2003 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:36 AM   #20
nuclear_turtle
Supra Drift

yea.MKIV and supras altogether take some moola which i dont have cause im almost 15 and in mississippi there isnt to many car shops so i'll have to order everything by internet which will cost way to much.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:19 PM   #21
Statik

Quote:
yea.MKIV and supras altogether take some moola which i dont have cause im almost 15 and in mississippi there isnt to many car shops so i'll have to order everything by internet which will cost way to much.
I fail to see your point. Your lucky being 14yrs old if you pick a chassis and start reading up on it and learn all you can by the time you buy the car you'll have the hardest part of tunning out the way, You'll know what to do and what not to do. Also if theres not many car shops in Mississippi why would it matter which chassis you buy. Any shop that will order parts for a 240 will order parts for any import. Unless your problem is there are no import shops in your area in which your SOL no matter what you buy unless its domestic.

Statik
Old 07-23-2003, 05:47 AM   #22
JonnySlick

statik...so you're saying it's easier and cheaper to learn to drift the mk3 supra than a 240, FC, or 'rolla?

i guess i can go there with that, but not with the idea of doing it with a mk4 like the picture in the original post (which is what i thought the post was originally about).

also i didn't realize the mk3 parts were so easy to find...to me, the 240sx seems more abundant in my area (although all of them are horribly beat down in a bad way). it could just be a regional thing here though.

oh, and statik....you're right about the na/nb cars...LOL...they do require a lot of attention as i found out last night.

later
Old 07-23-2003, 08:40 AM   #23
nuclear_turtle
Supra Drift

Boonies

I live in an extremly small town and there are no preformence shops, no place to buy stuff for your cars,. like a said before we dont even have ricers here. Im not suggesting learning off a MKIII supra cause I know i wont be good at drifting at first(proboly neva will) there is no nothin for cars here. there is no street racing here. Its just mustangs. mustangs everywhere, it sickning how many there are. 240 seem nice but there is only one in my town.(yea its that small that i know what everyone drives) All be have is an autozone. sucks to be me dont it?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:11 PM   #24
JonnySlick

Re: Boonies

Quote:
I live in an extremly small town and there are no preformence shops, no place to buy stuff for your cars,. like a said before we dont even have ricers here. Im not suggesting learning off a MKIII supra cause I know i wont be good at drifting at first(proboly neva will) there is no nothin for cars here. there is no street racing here. Its just mustangs. mustangs everywhere, it sickning how many there are. 240 seem nice but there is only one in my town.(yea its that small that i know what everyone drives) All be have is an autozone. sucks to be me dont it?
well the bad news is you don't have any imports in your town...but not to worry drifting is still a blank sheet in america so you can do what you wish and cultivate the sport in a way you like.

the good news is that your town is full of one of the best "domestic drifters" IMO. i've owened 2 or 3 'stangs and if you can ever figure out how to get the suspension sorted out and settled down, they'd make a great drifter. plus parts are everywhere and any redneck can work on them. so i say go for that if there is nothing else. turn you town into domestic drifter central.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:58 AM   #25
Nissan_Racer
So you eat babies I hear.

i think that the supra isnt verypopular because it is expensive, well more expensive. plus wouldent you think that it might be a litle heave in the front, like some understeer, or front brake lock up's, but thats just my thoughts. This brought another thought to my head(its very lonly in there) is nissan the "leader" in drift cars? i hear of other cars drifting like the rx-7's and other fr and 4wd cars, but is nissan completly taking over, or not, i mean i have no idea thats why i asked oh well, youll answer or not thats okay noone ever pays attention to me, you probably arent even reading this are you, huh? well are you so you just passed theis post on because it looked too long, well then i wont read any of your posts, so there.
Nissan_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: