Go Back   DRIFTING.com > NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) > NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

V4, V6, or V8?

This is a discussion on V4, V6, or V8? within the NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) Forum forums, part of the NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) category; i've been thinking for a while on what kind of car i finally want to try to save up for. ...

Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
CivicGhost99

Exclamation V4, V6, or V8?

i've been thinking for a while on what kind of car i finally want to try to save up for. i just don't know what kind of engine i would need. a V8 would have the power, but you don't need to go fast to drift. V6 has the power, but it's a f*ckin V6. a V4 a.k.a. "The Deadly 4-Banger" is ideal, but it's a small engine. i would even do all the work of swapping an engine if i got a car with a crappy engine myself! i'm kinda leaning towards a silvia, if i can find one! my main worry is finding a car that is good on gas. it's nice to have an amped up car that you can drift, but if you ain't got the snaps for gas, it's a lost cause. even if you regulate the fuel for everyday driving and track driving, it will still have a fuel rating. the option of upgrading the gas tank is about the only thing i can think of to have more gas, but you will just be burning all that extra gas you have with the same fuel rating. then again, you could just get a hemi charger and worry about the parking brake being on the floor(let alone worrying about that crappy triptronics system!). even if you mod one of them, you could have just brought a different car. V4 and some V6 engines are good on gas. V8 engines are crap on gas!, they just go vroooom and go kaput on gas after 20 minutes. i plan on making a drift car out of an everyday driver, plainly because i wouldn't be able to afford to keep up with two cars until i'm collecting social security or married to a beautiful women that loves to make babies, so what would be the ideal engine and car to save gas with?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
cfrost

Send a message via AIM to cfrost
your posts are super long and all over the place

as far as the motor goes.. it depends on the car

pick a car, then pick a motor

anything works so long as you practice and it's rwd

less typing, more driving
cfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
CivicGhost99

i just have alot to say money. that really doesn't help me though. i know that there is some other engine besides a s13 that is good on gas and able to be regulated to economize fuel burn. i didn't get fuels in school, but i know gas is what makes a car go. wit my budget, i'm tryin to save as much gas as i can.

Last edited by CivicGhost99; 01-02-2008 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:23 AM   #4
soultron

Send a message via AIM to soultron
V4?
H4 maybe, but V4?

Kidding, but I agree with frosty's comment. Maybe reign in your thoughts a bit, make it easier on us to read.

Here's a tidbit though...
I have a 305 V8 in my T/A. I'm getting about 19-22 mpg in a semi gutted car with exhaust, a 5 speed and 3.42 gears.
I have a miata friend with a 1.8 4 banger with ITBs and a dyno tune and he's probably getting 19.

Just throwing that out there.
soultron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
cfrost

gas mileage is also highly dependent on how you drive..

you can get fairly decent mileage if you don't race around everywhere.

there isn't really a "bad" motor for drifting, I've seen all of those used and they've all been utilized effectively
Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
gigglesnirt

Send a message via AIM to gigglesnirt
lol as far as i know the only actual v4 engine is the one in those old fwd saab sportscars.
gigglesnirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
ZoltecRules

Send a message via AIM to ZoltecRules Send a message via Yahoo to ZoltecRules
Quote:
Originally Posted by soultron View Post
V4?
H4 maybe, but V4?
I thought he was a certified mechanic too

Just messing around man.
ZoltecRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
CivicGhost99

i know V4 engines have little to no power. miatas are just abut the only V4 i've ever seen anyone try to do something with. i'm kinda lead footed. even when i'm not trying to, i drive fast. that's mainly why i wanted to try to find a car that's good on gas. another question, is the AE a fwd or RWD? now that i think about it, either that, or a older car like that are what i would be able to afford as a daily driver (i gotta start buying tools for my job wit some of the gwap i'm about to start making! ).

Last edited by CivicGhost99; 04-10-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
cfrost

again..

none of the cars you've seen with 4cyl are V4s.. they're all inline (I4) 4s.

AE86's are RWD, Yes
Old 01-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
free motion
SW VA

"v" refers to the layout of the cylinders. Four cylinders are %99.99 inline.

And the AEs have both fwd and rwd options.
free motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:18 AM   #11
CivicGhost99

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultron
V4?
H4 maybe, but V4?

what's a H4?
i don't know much about engines. is a v6 a good engine to use?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
gigglesnirt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_combustion_engine

read that.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
CivicGhost99

Talking Need Help on Deciding on Tool Investments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglesnirt View Post
i don't trust anything on wikipedia. anyone can submit a definition for something. i can say that the sky is really purple and rains green elephants on thursday. they don't varify hardly anything they put on their site.

i found out that a AE86 corolla is rwd. i don't know what REALLY made there cars unique. what's so good about them, and how much can you do with one of them on a budget?

in a car with 5 gears, you do the second trick my getting in 5th gear, downshifting to 3rd, then to second, or am i thinking of the wrong way? can you do the secong trick by shifting directly to 2nd all the time, or do you have to put it into 3rd to keep from damaging your tranny?

i an open for any tools that anyone thinks that i should get as my first new tools to add to my supply. i'm thinking about investing on an impact gun and an air ratchet with a couple of sets of sockets. besides snap-on, what are some good tool companies to buy heavy-duty equipment?
Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
gigglesnirt

wikipedia is fine, nerds monitor the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* out of it.

Trust me in high school we edited plenty of stuff for shits and giggles, within hours it was back to normal (and we were also banned from editing wiki articles) people keep saying its unreliable, but there is a reason they have sources below and links to these sources.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
CivicGhost99

i still don't like that site. if it doesn't have the same definition of a dictionary, i can't trust it.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #16
gigglesnirt

i didn't know dictionaries taught you about different types of engines.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #17
CivicGhost99

i'm not saying that. i'm saying that it's not a reliable source for information.i would use another source for information. some things on there are right, alot of things are misimformative or under researched. or something someone just felt like submitting. i'm just saying a site like that isn't s good site as an educational reference.

i'm still looking for some tool suggestions. guys in my shop say i'm crazy for wanting a torque wrench or an air gun with a set of torque sticks. they told me you only need the air gun, the torque sticks and wrench are for fragile rims, or torquing engines. i then told them that if the rims aren't torque right, they could do more damage to your car than anything. the place i work at doesn't do alignments or build engines, so i want to try to send cars out that will have some sort of control on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free motion View Post
"v" refers to the layout of the cylinders. Four cylinders are %99.99 inline.

And the AEs have both fwd and rwd options.
isn't the most common 240 swap a 4 cylinder swap? the sr20det is a v4 if i'm not mistaken. and no one has answered my question yet. is a v6 good for drifting?

Last edited by CivicGhost99; 01-06-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #18
gigglesnirt

To answer your question, at the point your at it shouldn't matter nearly what motor you get, just get out there and get track time and decide if you like the sport. A v6 will work just as well as many other cars, certain people might have their preferences to different motors though.

Also the sr20 is not a v4 this has been talked about already, if you were to look at the engine from the front, a v8 looks like a V with 4 cylinders on each side. the sr20 instead is an inline 4, if you were to look at it from the front it would not be a V but more like an I i guess. There are also inline 6 cylinder motors, not just v6's out there.

inline 4

Straight six

v6 (notice the similarity in the shape of the block to the V8, same goes for a v10, and even v12 design)

v8

And wikipedia has references at the bottom of the page, its not just randomly spewed out information it has proof and resources to back up everything on the page, if not it gets deleted most of the time.

Last edited by gigglesnirt; 01-06-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #19
CivicGhost99

i always mix up verticle and transmounted engines. if the valves go from left to right, they are inline with each either, if they are front to back, they are verticle to the car. the v is the shape the pistons go while on the crankshaft (hence ford v6 or v8 engines). inline is when each valve has it's own channel on the crankshaft. v engines share channels (unless it's v4). rotary is like a giant gear that spins along the inside of another gear on one side of the engine. i should have said that the sr20 is a common 4-valve swap instead. i'm just looking for a cheap way to find any horsepower i would be missing if i had a weak engine. i wouldn't think that a 6-valve engine would lack horsepower. i've heard that you need to have 250hp at least to drift well, and i know you have to put alot of money into a 4-valve engine to have any speed at all.

i've heard that Tein has a strut coilover set that is adjustable for on the fly height settings. if anyone knows the name of this system, could you tell me (i feel too lazy to look it up myself. i'll probablly look it up once i finally have a car ). that would be kinda phat to have a car with that system. that would be pretty darn kinda phat to have a setting for drifting, 1/4 mile, and normal settings to be able to use without having to go to the shop or cut springs to raise and lower the car.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 PM   #20
gigglesnirt

You dont need much power, learning on lower the power the better. I started off with a 90hp (probably more like 80 or so at my altitude) rx7, and did just fine. If you feel you want more power later on go for it but power is not the biggest necessity when drifting its mainly lsd, suspension and tires. Best thing i think for you is go to an event near you, check it out, talk with some people, ask plenty of questions and just learn learn learn. From there you should have a good idea of what is and is not needed to start drifting.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:01 AM   #21
CivicGhost99

i'm just having trouble figuring out what kind of car i want to get. i know you don't need much power, i want a car with the power i need to get good. it would be good if it had all the power that i would nee, but i don't want to have to get another car to get alot of power. i want to have one car that has the power i need. i want a car that i can keep. not a car i would have to junk to get the power i'm looking for. again, this would be my everyday car until i get the money for a car i can call my family car, or just a second car (which i will probably do the same thing to). i want to get all i can from a car before i decide to get rid of it.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #22
gigglesnirt

just buy a 240, keep the stock motor in it for a while and work on the above listed. Later on when you get confident start doing whatever to the car for more power. Its not like those are lacking power or anything anyone should do fine in it as a beginner car and its not hard to get all the power you want later on whether you want a more powerful 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, or 8 later on.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:39 AM   #23
CivicGhost99

Power

i wouldn't plan on putting a stronger engine in a car without upgrading the transmission. you eventually have to drop the tranny when you upgrade a cars engine. you can only drive but for so long on a regular transmission. the torque would be so great, that you would screw your transmission from simply putting the car in 1st gear. the engine should be one of the last things you do. you should do the suspension, brakes, before you get to the transmission and engine aspect of a car. you have to decide what engine and transmission you will put into a car to determine if you have to change anything else in the car. i know that upping a cars power has it's downside.

i don't care what anyone says, it's hard to find 240s, silvias, supras, or anyother kind of beginner car, cheap and manual. this is the main reason i want to be different with a car. you don't only always see those cars around here, they are also hard to find. anyone that has one, if it's a manual, they have put money into it. you wouldn't be getting a cheap car. and if you can find one that no one has upgraded yet, the car is either a automatic or would be the king of car a shop would have to back.

Last edited by CivicGhost99; 01-07-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:49 AM   #24
gigglesnirt

i assumed anyone would think the tranny would be common sense if you are going for a more powerful motor, not to mention you cant simply bolt any motor to any tranny. the last post wasn't about that it was about how you just need to get a car and get some track time and not worry about power the least bit yet. Later, months after you start going to the track and start to really learn then you can move on to whatever you feel necessary. this thread isn't really going anywhere i feel like im just repeating the same stuff over and over.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #25
hachiroku-fc3s

Send a message via Yahoo to hachiroku-fc3s
you are. the guy's retarded.
hachiroku-fc3s is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: