Go Back   DRIFTING.com > NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) > NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do I start Drifting?

This is a discussion on How do I start Drifting? within the NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) Forum forums, part of the NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) category; Aight, iam only 16 and i have been into this drifting scence for about like 2 years now. Iam getting ...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2004, 09:21 PM   #1
nedinic

Starting drift/touge

Aight, iam only 16 and i have been into this drifting scence for about like 2 years now.
Iam getting a car reall soon, most likly gonna be a 240sx/S13 91
which is 3gs canadian.
I have 6gs so ill have 3gs left over. That would be enough for an sr20det, or should i get tires, coilovers, etc.....
Or should i go stock at first ??

How do i start ? do i just go to a parking lot and start E-BRAKING it ??? or should i go find some tight roade so i can learn GRIP/TOUGE..

What should i do ???
DOES ANYONE WANNA TEACH ME ????????????lol
Old 04-11-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
nedinic

???????
Old 04-11-2004, 09:33 PM   #3
HX-50

start stock, get to know how your car handles, then when you get that down, i'd spring for coilovers
HX-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:37 PM   #4
TRusst

I would say, to take care of the suspension first. Make sure that the brakes are good. Make sure the rotors aren't warped or cracked. Get some good brake pads...front and rear. Maybe some braided lines wouldn't hurt. I don't think coilovers are necesary either. Some well matched springs and dampers should do just fine. There are plenty of guys here with 240s and Sylvias. I'm sure they could point you in a more precise direction, and keep you within your budget.
TRusst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:38 PM   #5
nedinic

thanks man, or i just spend all my money on a car maybe 214 95 or something.... i duno tho

HELP ???
Old 04-11-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
TRusst

I'm looking for an S14 as well. I just want something newer, especially since it is going to double as my daily driver. I'm going to be on a tight budget also...and I know right now that I'm not going to have coilovers, and I'm not going to to have an SR20DET. But I do have a good understanding of cars, and I am mechanically inclined and creative. So think it I will be ok. I don't think it is necesary to build a clone of Kazamas' or Taniguchis' Sylvias for me to have fun.
TRusst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:50 PM   #7
nedinic

yea man tight budget is the problem
a lot of peoples have 240's but i MIGHT want something else but not shure what...
But i love 240sx's

Should i touge before drifting?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:26 PM   #8
ACDSupra7
ACDSevenGuy

Send a message via AIM to ACDSupra7
Do what you feel like. I started touge first, and ended up learning how to drift there. But that's just me. Parking lot is a faster method.
ACDSupra7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:43 PM   #9
markeese180sx

learn to drive before you touge OR drift
markeese180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:50 PM   #10
ACDSupra7
ACDSevenGuy

Send a message via AIM to ACDSupra7
Well yeah
ACDSupra7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:57 PM   #11
markeese180sx

i would just drive it around and get used to whatever car you're getting..take it to the track and test it or something...i think drifting is safer than touge cuz you dont have a mountain to fall off of..unless you have big balls and drift the touge...they're two somewhat different categories...touge is mainly grip and drift is drift
markeese180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:26 AM   #12
Oki Drifter
Uchinanchu Deesu!!

go to the drifting messageboard on this site and read Drifting 101 parts one, two and three
Oki Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 01:44 PM   #13
nedinic

yea thanks for the help
i think i would be pretty good at driving because i have been racing go karts since i was 6 and i kinda got the feel of going fast but your right i have to get better at driving before i go on the touge or drifting.

thanks a lot ppl
Old 05-08-2004, 02:20 PM   #14
nissanguy_24

Quote:
Originally posted by Oki Drifter
go to the drifting messageboard on this site and read Drifting 101 parts one, two and three
Check out my signiture new guy. And please, have plenty of normal driving experience in your car before trying anything drifting related. And never try anything on a moutain road. Dont even try to take them in your S14, take mom's van or something if you want to see the sights. But until you have alot of experience the motuains are very dangerous, even just driving semi hard.
nissanguy_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 03:45 PM   #15
Ghost of Duluth
Sixgun

Send a message via AIM to Ghost of Duluth
My advice to you is to take your cart and get on the street in front of your house. Get 20 of your friends to hide along that street and throw things at you like teddy bears to simulate animals or shopping carts to simulate Granny Gail whipping it out of the Church parking lot on Sunday feeling invincible after speaking to God. That would come close to what it is really like on the street. Craziness. Get good at that and then you may be ready to hit the big time.

So, get god at regular driving, real good, before trying to make the rear of your car surpass the front of it. If not you might end up in a twisted pile of metal wishing that you had never heard the word Drifting or worse, your parents might just take you sweet baby away.
Ghost of Duluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 06:57 PM   #16
Feint
htg

3g's for a 240sx...hmmm...Even though you have Detroit as your location,you say your from Canada.If so,you do know you can have a Silvia for that price.240's are being priced more than Silvia K's with less than half the km on the dial too.Check your pms,I've sent a listing that you may find useful.
Feint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 07:12 PM   #17
Nemesis
Boro Miata

Send a message via AIM to Nemesis
Ghost is right. Driving is something all in itself. even before drifting.

as for drifting or any modifications to your car. Buy the car and get a 5354631461346134612 point check up and maintenence job. make sure eveyrthing is in PERFECT owrking condition before you even dare turn your car sideways. your might wind up breakin a bolt or tie arm ro something and your not gonna like it. and usually when a dealer does it, they put a warranty on the work. So just get it done. Besides it's gonna handle better with a maintenence job and feel alot better. do the basics before u modify ur car.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 07:17 PM   #18
nedinic

yea man ill check it howd you know im from canada iam gonna change that now tho.
lol man were iam from their aint no mountains that is what sucks, no touge here
DAMMIT
Old 05-08-2004, 07:20 PM   #19
nedinic

Feint iam sending you a messege check it.

does anyone here have msn?? or yahoo
Old 07-19-2004, 07:58 PM   #20
scirocco
Large Member

look everyone im in a good mood so i just gotta say, nedinic probably has the best attitude towards drifting ive ever seen. he wuz into drifting science since he wuz fourteen (so wuz i), he doesn't ask s=dumb questions and he aint ur average noob. i think we should all give this guy some props... mad props,... this guys got a future ahead of him in drifting i can see it. keep up the good work even though u cant drive yet (i think)

[EDIT]

ok so hes not a noob, he wuz just asking questions that made it seem that he might be new to this. hes new to driving so u cant blame him...
scirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:25 PM   #21
nedinic

Quote:
Originally posted by scirocco
look everyone im in a good mood so i just gotta say, nedinic probably has the best attitude towards drifting ive ever seen. he wuz into drifting science since he wuz fourteen (so wuz i), he doesn't ask s=dumb questions and he aint ur average noob. i think we should all give this guy some props... mad props,... this guys got a future ahead of him in drifting i can see it. keep up the good work even though u cant drive yet (i think)

[EDIT]

ok so hes not a noob, he wuz just asking questions that made it seem that he might be new to this. hes new to driving so u cant blame him...
thanks for the compliment
i get my full license in less then 2 weeks so i cant wait till that to happen.
Ive been looking through on this site for a long long time and learned some stuff.

thanks, so if there is more i neeed to know please say so

THanks
Old 07-19-2004, 10:31 PM   #22
Heav3nzHell
Digital Outbreak

Quote:
Originally posted by HX-50
start stock, get to know how your car handles, then when you get that down, i'd spring for coilovers
Hes right you should start drifting in ur s13 stock to better know your car and when u get a bit better start adding different parts with the car and see wat happens and as u get used to those new tune ups you can add more and more until you got an unbeatable racing machine ^_^. Heheheh thats how i did it. Ciao
Heav3nzHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:52 PM   #23
scirocco
Large Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Heav3nzHell
Hes right you should start drifting in ur s13 stock to better know your car and when u get a bit better start adding different parts with the car and see wat happens and as u get used to those new tune ups you can add more and more until you got an unbeatable racing machine ^_^. Heheheh thats how i did it. Ciao
i disagree, u should change ur suspension first since it will make a big difference. if i were u i would change it as soon as possible so that u dont have to re-accustom urself with the car. at least this is how i did it when i had my hachigo and it worked fine but maybe i shouldn't have done that i dont know and nobody will ever really know since u cant start driving stock and then change ur suspension then start driving again with ur suspension changed... its scientifically impossible, but i would advise against the aforementioned advice since u SHOULD start drifting with the suspension u plan to keep, same goes for brake bias in some cases
scirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:40 PM   #24
NismoSigma
Driftin' to the MOON!

Send a message via AIM to NismoSigma
Parts and mods are only as good as the driver. Learn to drift than get think about gettin mods. You dont buy a $1000 tien drift suspension and ruin it the 1st time you drift.
NismoSigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:20 PM   #25
TurboHead1

Yes, just learn the handling/performance of your car. And practice drifting like that until you finally get the hang of it! Once you do that you should start with the modifications to your car; such as your suspension, tires, and underneath the hood.
TurboHead1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drifting 101, how do i start drifting, how to drift, how to start drifting

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: