Go Back   DRIFTING.com > NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) > NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What is a LSD?

This is a discussion on What is a LSD? within the NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) Forum forums, part of the NEW to DRIFTING (BEGINNERS) category; i know im new but i would like to know what u guys/girls r talking about when u say,ya im ...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2004, 06:01 PM   #1
new_to_drift
another 240 owner

Send a message via AIM to new_to_drift
What is a LSD?

i know im new but i would like to know what u guys/girls r talking about when u say,ya im getting a new LSD.And also i saw it when i was looking at engine swaps,the company said that they the engine didnt come with and LSD.would be a great help to find out what it is.
thanx
new_to_drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
MrodDrft
Dorifto Pic King

Send a message via AIM to MrodDrft
LSD = Limited Slip Differential

www.google.com
MrodDrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:40 PM   #3
D1 DRIFTER

well LSD(limited slip diff) makes the rear gears in the pumpkin lock putting power to both rear wheels(in the case of a rear wheel drive car) instead of only one... it helps alot to get the tail out and control the car alot more
D1 DRIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:26 PM   #4
CrazyHawaiian
Sample One Time!!

If you really want to drift, LSD is what you should get before that engine swap.
CrazyHawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:55 PM   #5
Wickdmarz
TROLL HUNTER

Send a message via AIM to Wickdmarz
Re: What is a LSD?

Quote:
Originally posted by new_to_drift
i know im new but i would like to know what u guys/girls r talking about when u say,ya im getting a new LSD.And also i saw it when i was looking at engine swaps,the company said that they the engine didnt come with and LSD.would be a great help to find out what it is.
thanx
An LSD isn't part of the engine. If you look under any car...well mostly import cars, I think alot of american cars have a live axle. Anywho...look at the two rear wheels under the car, the bar that attaches them are the axles and the thing in the middle is the punkin. Inside the punkin is where an LSD would be or installed into.

An LSD is basically some thing that locks up both or your wheels and makes them work with the same amount of power. An open diff...makes it that an outside tire of a turn would be be spining more the the inside tire.

I'm sure there is an easier way to explain it, but I don't know how.

Anyways sounds like you need to do some more research before getting a swap. They're plenty of sites you can look up to research this and books on the basics of a car. I suggest you research before you do anything.
Wickdmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
marshun
stop spreading disinfo

Send a message via AIM to marshun
also look it up on www.howstuffworks.com
marshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:49 PM   #7
Drifter-ex

Correct me if I'm wrong but how is this for a short explination. When one wheel slips the LSD transers the power to the one that is gripping.
Drifter-ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:16 PM   #8
Ripper
post whore

Quote:
Originally posted by Drifter-ex
Correct me if I'm wrong but how is this for a short explination. When one wheel slips the LSD transers the power to the one that is gripping.
that's correct. it's located under the frame of your car. LSD is also a drug. and DSL spelled backwards
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:24 PM   #9
Feint
htg

Quote:
you mean it transfers power to the one that's slipping .Something I've noticed,clutch LSD's seem to be the choice for drifting,just an observation.
Feint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:57 PM   #10
driftfreak
Pita didnt like my avitar

Send a message via AIM to driftfreak
LSD is fun, if your in a closet andhave a phone with glowing numbers...
driftfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:33 PM   #11
spock
_\\//

Send a message via AIM to spock
I believe that would be lysergenic acid diathylamide, not limited-slip differential.
spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:52 PM   #12
98BlueStang'
GigidyGigidyGigidy!!!!

So in the case of grip driving, theororitically, wouldn't the open diff. be a better choice since it allows the outside wheel to spin at a higher velocity thus allowing you car to initiate a shaper line and be able to exit past the apex at a quicker pace (not always speed...)?If power is equally distributed, during a turn the inside wheel would want to turn slower than the outside wheel since the inside wheel has a less distance to travel in the same time than the outside wheel (like 2 different spots on a record), correct? If this is true would the open diff. be a more suitable choice since it allows the two wheels to travel at different speeds and allowing teh car to turn in a shorter distance?

Also for autocrossing and track racing wouldn't this contemplation be just also?
98BlueStang' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:54 PM   #13
98BlueStang'
GigidyGigidyGigidy!!!!

Also, wouldn't a cheap way to achieve equal power distribution be to weld the spider gears togather?
98BlueStang' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:30 PM   #14
marshun
stop spreading disinfo

well to make the car more predictable you would want an even amount of power to the wheels so that you could rotate the car in a predictable manner. kinda like when youre drifting slowly in a car with no lsd. sometimes both wheels spin and its easy. but most of the time one wheel spints and it sucks. cause you just grip.

also as you exit the corner you want to be more on the gas. but if you just have that one wheels slipping and the other wheel not spinning, its crap. the lsd will give you a more evenly distributed power to both of your wheels.

as for the welding, its not a good idea for any sort of track racing because the car acts "itchy" when you turn in. and thats something you definitely dont want. it becomes a bit unpredictable.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:06 AM   #15
chrisfromda909

acts itchy?
Old 06-04-2004, 12:27 AM   #16
Drifter-ex

Quote:
So in the case of grip driving, theororitically, wouldn't the open diff. be a better choice since it allows the outside wheel to spin at a higher velocity thus allowing you car to initiate a shaper line and be able to exit past the apex at a quicker pace (not always speed...)?If power is equally distributed, during a turn the inside wheel would want to turn slower than the outside wheel since the inside wheel has a less distance to travel in the same time than the outside wheel (like 2 different spots on a record), correct? If this is true would the open diff. be a more suitable choice since it allows the two wheels to travel at different speeds and allowing teh car to turn in a shorter distance?
I think an LSD would still help you there because, its not like the LSD distributes the power to one wheel, all the time it distributes evenly I think. In grip driving you still get some slipage, and a couple times when I went to SCCA events I saw that one wheel would come off the ground in certain types of cars.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:32 AM   #17
nissanguy_24

Im sure theres alot of good answer.. im pretty tired so ill post a short explanation ( didnt read all the post)

Power is put from the driveshaft.. the output shaft of the engine and transmission to a differential. the differential sends power to the two wheels. You have two types.

Locked differentials and Open differentials.

A locked differential spins both wheels at the same time period. The problem is when taking a corner the inside wheel travels a shorter distance then the outside wheel, thus it has to spin at a different speed.. slower. If both wheels are trying to turn at the same time then you cant take the corner very well. One wheel wheel keep trying to hop to make up the difference.. Sometimes full drag racers have this setup because its a very good way to put power down.. but a horrible way to turn.

And you have what most passanger cars have an open differential That sends power to one wheel at a time, via gears. This way whatever wheel needs to move faster to corner it recieves the power and can move faster. the other wheel just spins freely like a none drive wheel.. Now this changes depending on corner, its constantly adjusting.. Just the way the gears are setup in the differential. Porblem is if one wheel suddenly has no traction and begins to spin. All the power will go to it.. because its the easiest path. So if you hit ice, or spin your tires, or do a burn out. One wheel will brake traction and will spin, the other will sit there. or be draged in the case of drifting.

Enter the Limited Slip differential. Literally a differential thats allows a limited amount of slip.. By using several different techniques the LSD gives you the best of bothworlds with really no doubt side. You have enough play to corner.. but if one wheel begins to spin then equal mounts of power is sent to both wheels. either causing them to grip, or both to spin.. either way you will come out of the corner faster.. or you will drift smoother..

Open differential makes it hard to hold a drift for very long. It also makes it less predictable as one tire is dragging... and you cant really predict which tire in all cases.

The differential is behind the driveline, which is behind the transmision which is behind the engine its self.. So no worries about RWD motors comming with LSDs or Not.

There are many types of LSDs i sugest you look into them further. They all act alittle different but both try to give you the best of both world. The grip of two tires and the ability to turn of one wheel drive.. Most advanced AWD cars like the evo or STi feature 3 differentials. One between the front and rear wheels, and one in the middle of the drivetrain.

Have fun researching!

Quote:
I think an LSD would still help you there because, its not like the LSD distributes the power to one wheel, all the time it distributes evenly I think. In grip driving you still get some slipage, and a couple times when I went to SCCA events I saw that one wheel would come off the ground in certain types of cars.

Yes.. Ever try to apply power as your comming out of the Apex at high speed? your wheel will spin.. in a LSD powered car you will literally jump out of the corner with twice as much grip.. Guys who install LSDs describe the car as being able to leap into and out of the corners much better limited slip differential.. Basicly Open diff is never better. Ful llocking is only better in striaght out drag racing.

Everyone else from street racers to driftings will want a LSD.. now the question is what type of LSD do you need? thats where it changes depending on what kind of racing you are doing.

Quote:
Originally posted by 98BlueStang'
Also, wouldn't a cheap way to achieve equal power distribution be to weld the spider gears togather?
THis would give you a full locked differential. Great for drag racing. However you wont be able to turn well. I supose if your going to drift every corner with both wheels spinning its not an issue.. and it was done in the old days in japan i hear.. However its far from ideal.

Quote:
Originally posted by 98BlueStang'
If this is true would the open diff. be a more suitable choice since it allows the two wheels to travel at different speeds and allowing teh car to turn in a shorter distance?
See thats the beauty of the LSD it allows us to spin one wheel at a different speed so you can corner... to a point.. thats the limited amount of slip.. Too much slip and it will start moving both wheels at the same time. Too alot of gas would start gripping both wheels for example in the corner.. if you had enough power that would cause both wheels to begin to spin. You would find your self in an oversteer posture.

thats why drifters like it..

Likewise if you where going straight and stomped on the gas one wheel would spin, the other would lock in due to whatever mechanism that kind of LSD has, and you would put power to both wheels which literally doubles your grip. Thats why street racers like LSDs

LSD gives us the best of both worlds.

Last edited by nissanguy_24; 06-04-2004 at 12:40 AM.
nissanguy_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 12:41 AM   #18
Drifter-ex

Quote:
you mean it transfers power to the one that's slipping .Something I've noticed,clutch LSD's seem to be the choice for drifting,just an observation.
No it transfers all the power to the one that is gripping.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:01 AM   #19
markeese180sx

well written explanation, nissanguy.
markeese180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 06:46 AM   #20
MrodDrft
Dorifto Pic King

Send a message via AIM to MrodDrft
Quote:
No it transfers all the power to the one that is gripping.
No it transfers it all to the one thats slipping
MrodDrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:26 AM   #21
CRASHDRIVE

Send a message via AIM to CRASHDRIVE Send a message via Yahoo to CRASHDRIVE
OMG

Why didn't someone posted the link?

Here's the link:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

simple as that.
CRASHDRIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:08 AM   #22
nissanguy_24

Quote:
Originally posted by MrodDrft
No it transfers it all to the one thats slipping
A open differential will transfer all power to the one with the least amount of resistance because it mechanically choses one axel or the other.. a LSD trys to transfer power to both axels evenly after a point. SO that if one is slipping half of its power is sent to the other wheel, because both axels are now locked up (to a degree) the idea is the wheel wont spin very much because now the other wheel is trying to grab too.

Now not all LSD's are that good, but thats what they attempt to do. After a certain mount of play between the two wheels it will try to match there speeds.

think of a VLSD.. it uses a thick liquid in side of it to make it work.. Basicly it acts like an open differential. power is mechanically sent to one or the other wheel.. however if one spins too much and the speed difference is the wheel is too great then the think liquid gets hot and hard and temporarly locks it up.

VLSDs are known for not being that agressive and not locking up all the way.. but thats kindof the idea.. .the link posted above is excellent.

And when i say "sends power here or there" dont think of that as an intelegent thing.. its all mechanical. a open diff doesnt really send power anywhere. it just has a gear set up so that one of the two axels will spin, if you hold down one of them the other will spin and vice versa. very few cars have active differentials..

Anyways just check out the link.

Last edited by nissanguy_24; 06-20-2004 at 09:19 PM.
nissanguy_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:48 AM   #23
marshun
stop spreading disinfo

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisfromda909
acts itchy?
i couldnt think of the term. but its called wheel hop. lets say you had a welded differential and you went around a moderate turn. both of you rear wheels would naturally want to spin at a different speed than the other (www.howstuffworks.com go ahead and look up differentials). then, since you have the welded diff making the the rear wheels spin at the same time all the time, you'd get wheel hop.

i used to wonder how come cars would wiggle funny when they were just turning. old muscle cars.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:03 PM   #24
new_to_drift
another 240 owner

Send a message via AIM to new_to_drift
thanx nissanguy,u really helped me actually understand a lot of stuff about the differential.
new_to_drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 08:18 PM   #25
Xantos

Send a message via AIM to Xantos
nissanguy, your awesome, seriously! Your my new role model, you have an amazing amount of knowledge of how cars work! I also admire your patience with people new to drifting, and cars in general. I dont think you get thanked enough around here, so i am giving you an "Official Thanking!"

Last edited by Xantos; 06-20-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Xantos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lsd for drifting, what is a lsd

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: