Toyota Soarer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DomLee
    JDM 5-speed huh? It is going to be extremely hard to find.

Not many 5-speed Soarers in Japan either, so that makes it difficult already. But I don't have any info on the JDM 5-speed.

Do any of you guys have any info on the tranny? Want to know more about it now as I've NEVER heard of it being used in a US car.
    What you want is the R154. (this is what the JDM Soarers got) It's alot stronger than the W56 the SC has stock and much cheaper than the getrag....just a bt tough to find.

Comment

r154 is not that hard to find but takes some cash to put in. you have to change the clutch and driveshaft plus you have to buy the tranny from someone who is willing to part with it. long story short buy the complete 1jz with tranny so you can avoid most of these problems

Comment

Originally posted by topsecret2001
        the tranny is a weak point but the getrag is waaay overkill unless you're planning on a 500hp+ car...

The JDM 5spd is what you want but they're hard to find...

BTW, a sub 3000lb SC/Soarer is possible with some gutting, carbon fiber parts, and a titanium exhaust. I don't think Driftgirl is right about the doors though...they're suuuper heavy. The Vertex ones cost about $8000 but they're drycarbon which isn't practical or affordable for most people. A company called SWAT makes FR and wet carbon doors that are much cheaper and should help enough. Lexan door windows would help alot also. GTP products suck and it would be interesting to actually see how much weight their CF trunk saves...I doubt it's much. I reccomend the Varis CF hood ( www.varisusa.com) as it's great quality and very lightweight.
        Ive taken my doors off about 3 or 4 times when painting it. I can lift them by myself... Its been a myth going around the Lexus community for far too long. They associated the size and style of the door hinge to weight. yes its an aircraft style hinge, but its there because of the WAY it opens the door, and NOT entirely due to excessive weight. If you notice these doors are LONG. If a standard hinge was used, you wouldnt get out of the car in a tight parking space. The hinge is designed to move the door out and then open. Its not a 'Civic door' by any means. It's just under 60 Inches if I remember correctly

ImportFan/gtp knocked off my car back in tha day with the carbon Trunk. I was the only SC in the states running around with carbon body/interior parts.

The stock trunk is very light in its OEM form. I was pretty surprised!...carbon is overkill and should be considered a 'cosmetic' mod in my opinion.

DomLee: what type of HP numbers are you looking to get?

Comment

Somewhere in the 400 range would be plenty. I know the W58 isn't going to hold that power for long, so I was looking into what my options are.

I have a few options engine wise:

1) Turbo stock 2JZ
          2) 1JZ
          3) 2JZ-GTE

Option 1 is possible, but with the current state of my engine, I would prefer to rebuild it first. It burns a bit of oil, so I'm not exactly pleased w/ this condition. (Purchased the car like that).

Option 2 is possible. Lack of easy replacement parts if something breaks. Not that I expect to break that much stuff, but most parts can be sourced from the 2JZ-GTE from what I understand.

Option 3. Pricey. Replacement parts are easy to come by though.

After the engine, comes the drivetrain issue which I mentioned. So, my choices would be either the R154 or the V160. What clutch (from a US car) would you use on the R154 anyway? Same clutch as the Supra?

Comment

you would use the 7m clutch.

option1: is a good cheap way to go, however like you said oil leaks. how many miles on the car?

option2: because the 1jz is becoming more popular it is getting easier to find parts. plus most of the parts are interchangeable.

option3: well great to have a 2jz but the initial investment is pricey.

i had a 1jz swap done in my old sc and i guess i was lucky i never had a problem. Good luck and happy drifting. The sc is a great project if you are ready for late nights learning about how to modify it.

Comment

Weight is relative. the Source of a lot of the SC3/400 is the high density cavity sound deadening material. Its very thick, almost like tar and it completely fills the A Pillars, firewall, and a few other choice locations. This sound deadening material adds roughly a good 100-150lbs to the car, on top of other foam style sound proofers. Not to mention the stock drivers power seat weighs well over 120lbs ( 2 electric motors help ) and the passenger seat weighs around the 70lb range.

Ironicly, the SC400 is a much better choice for building a lightweight Soarer. the 1UZ-FE weighs a tad over 100lbs less than the 2jzge (gte weighs more). The 1UZ-fe also sits further back, shifting the center of gravity closer to the center of the car.

Ok now for the next argument. It only came as an automatic.

This is true, the A341E is a very heavy transmissionm although very smooth. There are 2 options as far as this is concerned. Option A. There is a higher stall and stronger torque converter avail, as well as "shift kits" from various places.

Option B. Manual Trans Conversion. This is a much more involved option mainly due to some potential minor fabrication. Ironicly, most of it can be done using factory parts. I am in the midst of doing the conversion myself thanks to the information of a member of Clublexus also doing the conversion, and a couple of friends in Australia. Since my car is relatively stock right now i will not have anywhere near as many problems as he will (doing a lot of mods). There are aftermarket Bellhousings avail from Australia, as well as full conversion packages including every part you need (mostly OEM Toyota MK3 Supra parts) minus the transmission. The conversion package will cost about $1100 USD plus freight ($1500). Then you just need an R154 trans from a Soarer 2.5GT with tailshaft and front driveshaft section. Then theres the Master cyl, and obviously clutch and brake pedals (Factory SC300 5spd) and center trim bezel with shift boot (also OEM SC300 5spd). I am close to finishing my conversion as long as i dont run into any other problems (My trans was missing the shifter). Once the conversion is complete that should drop around 125lbs off of the car (A341E is a very HEAVY trans) and weigh less than a stock SC300 5spd, with a much nicer (IMHO) engine.

Now the car is lighter, has a stick, and has a Very FLAT powerband with lots of torque, and lots more potential.

Its not unrealistic to make a 3000lb SC300/400, however to keep lots of the nice daily driving features like A/C and Stereo. Power accesories. 3200- 3300lbs is still easily attainable, depending on how crazy you get. (Stock SC300/400 is around 3600lbs)

Comment

You could always go with a later Soarer.. They're only 3100 lbs.. I got an 88' GT Twin Turbo brought over. It's still a very nice car and it's something different. It only makes 210 hp for the moment.

Comment

I'm really surprised that you see people swapping the 1uzfe for the 1jz/2jz. I assume it's because of large aftermarket for the jz series, as well as more room under the hood. But the 1uzfe has ridiculous power potential. Supposedly Craig Paisely was running a stock block on his 1000hp 330CI TRD V8 before NHRA outlawed it (The Toyota V8's were getting a wee bit close to Pro-stock in terms of speed and ET. Albeit Pro-Stock is NA and the Pro-Imports are power-adders). At that time, the TRD V8's were way ahead of anything else in the import drags.

Comment

My links one

buy clomid

buy xanax online

Comment

the real deal

hi
                      being new to the site, I thought Id post some info on my
                      92 Soarer .
                      Mine is the real thing, RHD and a car I went to Japan and
                      bought, imported to CA and had it legalized in 99-2000.
                      It was stock when I bought it with 55k on it. 1JZ GTE lasted
                      a few years, which was then replaced with a 2JZ shortblock
                      from Toyota, put on my 1JZ head, added some HKS cams
                      and a few other bolt ons, along with a single turbo conversion.
                      The Suspension has had Air-ride but now uses TEIN coilovers..
                      the Bodykit was installed in 02, an imported Vertex and DoLuck
                      kit. As for rims, I have a few sets and styles for the car, but
                      its currently on a set of staggered 19" Ace Forged Alloys.
                      Ive rebuilt the trans a few times already, but its doing okay now.
                      I drive the car all the time and sometimes from Tucson to Phx..
                      still complete with AC and mild stereo.
                      In street trim on 16psi, it runs low 12s all day long...

Comment

Working...
                      X