(PROXIMITY EMPHASIS) FORMULA D Judging, Post our Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (PROXIMITY EMPHASIS) FORMULA D Judging, Post our Feedback

The PROXIMITY EMPHASIS was applied to the last 2 Formula D rounds.
    Please post our feedback.

"The word of the day at Palm Beach was ‘proximity’. That is, the Formula Drift judges put the emphasis on the tandem competitors on keeping proximity with the lead car. Sacrificing angle and line for the sake of maintaining door-to-door competition was the name of the game. As a result, Palm Beach International Raceway had the closest tandem competitions of the year, and tons of carnage."

By Motoiq.com
    http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...l-raceway.aspx

Tandem drifting is a game of proximity, it always should have been that.

FD needs to keep it going.

Comment

Originally posted by Bebop View Post
      Tandem drifting is a game of proximity, it always should have been that.

FD needs to keep it going.
      At the same time I'm sick of FD trying to choreograph the dance.

Comment

seeing Daigo drive in close proximity to cars but hit clipping points with his cone time and time again was frustrating. That first follow run with Conrad was either 3 or 4 wheels off (i haven't looked at the video again yet), I don't understand how he made it past that match up.

I don't mind a 1 to 2 car gap if the line is smooth and there's plenty of angle. Daigo's runs are very twitchy on the throttle and shallow angle.

Comment

Daigo himself I bet is wondering what they saw. He knew he messed up bad. If Conrad followed Daigo the same way, matching Daigo's follow run, plowing clipping points, just to stay in "proximity", they would have been all over that announcing he failed in following Daigo. How can Formula Drift expect the drivers and fans to respect the judges calls when they are extremely inconsistent to known rules, and unavoidably viewed as sponsor favoritism. Conspiracy has hit its high point on this. I am sad to say, but if this is what American pro drifting is becoming, we are not going to make it. I REALLY hope Ryan Sage and Jim Law are taking this round, and this season in general as an analysis of what, or WHO needs to be changed out of Formula Drift to keep their integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Slapshotnerd View Post
            seeing Daigo drive in close proximity to cars but hit clipping points with his cone time and time again was frustrating. That first follow run with Conrad was either 3 or 4 wheels off (i haven't looked at the video again yet), I don't understand how he made it past that match up.

I don't mind a 1 to 2 car gap if the line is smooth and there's plenty of angle. Daigo's runs are very twitchy on the throttle and shallow angle.
            Not that I agree but I think the judges saw it as this;

Run 1 Major deduction for Daigo putting 2 tires off but not 0
            Run 2 Major deduction for Conrad not keeping the action remotely close

OMT

Run 3 Minor deduction for Daigo for tapping the clip
            Run 4 Major deduction for Conrad not keeping the action remotely close

Daigo Wins.

Comment

I like the prox changes, but-unlike Japan cars here are much different speeds 4,6, and large and small V8's there is going to have to be a HP limit if "proximity", is going to be the constant..

1200 overcomes 500 every time..... 650 t0 750 should be fine for everyone and lower the cost for the un-sponsored drivers...

Comment

I think the whole Clip hitting issue is because the clips are in awkward places. I never seen a inside clipping point so asinine to the apex like that in any other sanctioning body. They used last years setup with this years emphasis on proximity.... horrible choice.

Daigo knows exactly where to put his car at on transition to achieve the most proximity, its a gift and a curse.

Comment

I think the whole Clip hitting issue is because the clips are in awkward places. I never seen a inside clipping point so asinine to the apex like that in any other sanctioning body. They used last years setup with this years emphasis on proximity.... horrible choice.

Daigo knows exactly where to put his car at on transition to achieve the most proximity, its a gift and a curse.
                  Awkward as it may be, He knows the rules, and has shown he can drive the line fast and well when he wants too as stated in the drivers meeting. I don't think Daigo is saying screw it and NOM some clipping points cause he wants to drive they way he likes, whether the Judges like it or not...well apparently they did, but that's not the point...separate issue. I think Daigo is a very respectful driver, but intimidating just the same. By that being said, He would do his best to achieve what the Judges stated they want to see in the drivers meeting. He is learning to adapt and does this very fast every OMT he got this season, you see a dramatic improvement in his attacks.

No excuses Bebop. If you think highly of Daigo, you would feel he can master any challenging course thrown in front of him.

Drifting in mountain and canyon passes long enough would teach you that.
                  Last edited by Lifer; 06-25-2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I'm not making any excuses for Daigo because he doesn't need any. He won the battle.

Simply pointing out the flaws of the course/layout/format.

Comment

I'm not making any excuses for Daigo because he doesn't need any. He won the battle.

Simply pointing out the flaws of the course/layout/format.

No one else seem to have a problem completely destroying the clipping points nearly every run, and going completely off course.

Comment

True...But no else has a chase like Daigo either.

Comment

Proximity Judging is Good!

Very happy with the emphasis on proximity. This does potentially make it difficult for the lower hp cars to keep up and maintain proximity, but I think the new tire rules have done a lot to mitigate that problem. That being said I feel Daigo is the best chase driver and while I think a large % of that is driver skill, the fact that he has a 1000+ hp car I think also gives him an advantage. The hp advantage is most apparent to me when he has to leave a gap while the cars transition, but then easily closes the gap back up once the cars have swung back the opposite angle. Maybe a displacement/boost or hp limit is in the future for FD? Another series that comes to mind where V8s compete with turbo 4s is off-road trucks and they seem to be on a pretty even playing field. All in all the drifting has been much more exciting this year just look at New Jersey's final last year compared to this year.

Comment

Working...
                          X